Autopsy Rd4 Roast & Toast vs Port Adelaide & Changes for St Kilda Rd5

Best vs Port Adelaide

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also would have been correct to pay the deliberate, just like this one. In this one it would have been correct to pay both deliberate as well as say he had sufficient pressure. That's what I'm getting at, the rules are designed so the AFL can never get them wrong so when you have 3 different umpires with 3 different interpretations you get a mixed bag that nobody can understand or agree on

I think the umpires got that one wrong, to the letter of the law.

I think the umpires got that one wrong, to the letter of the law.

Trying to find the AFL justification on that one I came across Callum Mills getting pinged on another occasion against the Bulldogs.

He was within 9m of the goal and Picken was what, 2m from him? I think this one is more OK than the other examples but if you see the reasoning on why the AFL justified it

A player can't rush a behind if...
  • They are outside the top of the kick-off line (9m) and its extension to the behind posts.
  • They have time and space in which to dispose of the football.
  • They are not considered under immediate physical pressure.
  • From a ruck contest, they hit the football over the goal or behind line on the full, through for a rushed behind.

And according to Patrick Keane

"AFL has deemed delib. rushed free in Dogs/Swans as correct under stricter 2017 ruling, due to no physical pressure when ball put over line,"

Applying those terms to Gray: time and space? Well he was first to the footy and had a spare teammate. Immediate physical pressure? Nobody was touching him if that's immediate physical pressure.

Had they paid deliberate that's how the AFL would have justified it. There is no consistent ruling as they can never get it wrong.

they lost us the game mate. if it wasnt for their fu** tarded choices we would of won. was only 2 pts. fu** em
nah mate we ballzd it up too...... 5 off the top of my head 1. revolt doesnt make dist from 48m. 2. new kids, ross and aarts taking a second too long and lacking urgency on multiple occasions. 3 Baltas brain fades. 4. lynch and jack crying when 50/50 dont go their way 5. Port seized the crucial moments better than us.

Last edited:
Outs: Aarts, Mansell, Martyn
Ins: Macca, Ralphsmith, Rioli (or we could go CCJ for Aarts), another tall to help nank wouldn't go astray), Balta and Astbury can stay 100% in the backline.

Essentially early on in seasons I estimate we give oppos at least a 4 goal head start when we step out on the ground at the start of a game.

At least two from turnovers/brain fade/skill errors and two via the umps. In a close game that's always going to be the difference as was the case last night. The Swans jumped is the week before and add 24pts to that start and the fact that we were also dead flat and it's too hard to make up.

We become so more efficient with the ball as the season wears on, it's just a matter of keeping up with the main pack earlier in the season which we have managed to do and then we seem to peak at the right time. This season already has a familiar feel to it.

I think the key is being able to inject some new blood into the team to help us get through a long season, unfortunately I have to agree that Mansell and Martyn were brought in for the wrong game. Easy to say in hindsight but away to Port has always been a torrid affair and last night was no different. Hopefully Stack gets fit and one of RCD or Ralphsmith have an impact at the top level which just gives us another dimension and some flexibility moving forward.

Really thought Chol added something in previous seasons even though he can be so frustrating with his apparent fear of physicality, maybe he is worth persevering with given the game seems to be going toward a more contested marking situation inside forward 50, and he does have great athletic ability for a tall player.

I’m happy to agree that the umps went in hard tonight ... but Dimma will be pointing out opportunities that were in our control
exactly, you can almost hear dimmer inside the Four Walls saying 'stuff the umpires' We Only worry about what we can control. and it wasnt good enough.

nah mate we ballzd it up too...... 5 off the top of my head 1. revolt doesnt make dist from 48m. 2. new kids, ross and aarts taking a second too long and lacking urgency on multiple occasions. 3 Baltas brain fades. 4. lynch and jack crying when 50/50 dont go their way 5. Port seized the crucial moments better than us.
The first 3 yes. And despite that we were still only 2 pts behind. If the umps were finals standard and not cheats we would of won. Plain and simple. Robbie gray goal wouldn't of occurred. Htb on Bacharach wouldn't be called etc. Holding on Lynch would of been called. That's 3 goals already. Umps lost it for us mate. The only positive is we don't get this cheat ump every week.

The last two points. When the umps are cheating as they did I understand why they would be pissed. Them being pissed didn't give away any frees so that had no impact

Port got given the crucial moments to have mate. Robbie gray goal came from a htb not called on drew. they got it handed to them. Those are facts. I don't usually say umps changed the game but this time is clear as water

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe he (McIntosh) is available due to the Swans match being an afternoon game, and the Saints at night.
ie: it will have been more than 12 * 24 hours.
Not sure i would be playing McIntosh I'd give him another week that was massive hit players that come back too soon from concussion usually don't play that well.

Trying to find the AFL justification on that one I came across Callum Mills getting pinged on another occasion against the Bulldogs.

He was within 9m of the goal and Picken was what, 2m from him? I think this one is more OK than the other examples but if you see the reasoning on why the AFL justified it

And according to Patrick Keane

Applying those terms to Gray: time and space? Well he was first to the footy and had a spare teammate. Immediate physical pressure? Nobody was touching him if that's immediate physical pressure.

Had they paid deliberate that's how the AFL would have justified it. There is no consistent ruling as they can never get it wrong.

It's intentionally ambiguous ...

Also would have been correct to pay the deliberate, just like this one. In this one it would have been correct to pay both deliberate as well as say he had sufficient pressure. That's what I'm getting at, the rules are designed so the AFL can never get them wrong so when you have 3 different umpires with 3 different interpretations you get a mixed bag that nobody can understand or agree on

Don’t agree, in that one Mills has time to survey his outlets, has time to dispose of the ball and he decides not to because he doesn’t like his options, that’s prior opportunity before the pressure comes. Robbie Gray literally got rid of the ball the moment he got it with Richmond around him.

Don’t agree, in that one Mills has time to survey his outlets, has time to dispose of the ball and he decides not to because he doesn’t like his options, that’s prior opportunity before the pressure comes. Robbie Gray literally got rid of the ball the moment he got it with Richmond around him.

What about Gray's outlet that was a free teammate right in front of him?

It’s not relevant at all to the specific situation.

Why not though? One of the justifications is if the player has "time and space to dispose of the ball".

While I'm agreeing, I'm making the point that the rules are written so ambiguously that had it been deemed deliberate the AFL would have been able to justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back