Autopsy Lions get Naught in English Test - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Naughty's a beast! underrated this season so far
Oath hes had a great year, bit annoying he only has 9 been a bit wayward, should have 15. But I’m not as worried with his goal kicking as others here are, I think it’s coming along fine, never gonna be a dead eye but he kicks the ones he needs to and is generally solid on the set shot anywhere inside 40 or so. Probably needs to really work on his snaps as he really struggles from the pockets and if he can get that up to scratch it’s probably good for at least one more goal a game.

Bevo makes me so nervous.

It’s taken him 7 years to realise having a genuine ruckman is good for an elite midfield

We unearth a star in Young who wouldn’t have been given a chance if gardner didn’t get injured

He continues to play two kids who Just aren’t up to it while cavarra and west can’t get a look in
Bevo has been trying to recruit Stef Martin for 4/5 years apparently.

Last edited:
You would like to think that Lewis Young's exclusion from the side has been because he was required to work on aspects of his game that have finally come together in the moments before his selection today.

Because I cannot see how Ryan Gardner has been playing in his stead for the better part of a season.

Last edited:
My initial issue with Lewy was that I thought he lacked leg speed.

Then he ran down Zac Bailey today and that act changed my mind.

Certainly is a more composed marker of the football than Gardiner.
He also corralled Cameron, did not know he had that speed,seriously surprised me.
He will have a few and down games to get consistency and we will have to be patient,but he has shown way more than Gardner(reading the flight of the ball, marking and speed)

My initial issue with Lewy was that I thought he lacked leg speed.

Then he ran down Zac Bailey today and that act changed my mind.

Certainly is a more composed marker of the football than Gardiner.
I’ve always thought he’s pretty quick but I think he’s lumbered a bit around the field in the past, whether that’s intensity or maybe poor fitness base? He looks much more developed in the arms and the core this year too so hopefully doesn’t get out bodied as much. Didn’t get outbodied once from memory today though but there’s tougher challenges out their than Hipwood. He doesn’t have to stand the likes of Hawkins though.

Keath is seriously impressive. Maybe in the right set up Keath could be a brilliant interceptor but I love him on the biggest forwards playing our version of full back. He’s becoming very very dependable.

I think Young taking a few marks and controlling the air is going to allow Keath the freedom to back himself a bit more too whereas with Gardners serious lack of nous in the aerial contest (except for when he can use his athleticism to just come over the top and spoil, but it’s not a natural ability to read the play very well, it’s a bit manufactured for Gards) he really was locked into becoming a bit of a dour stopper himself. Both of them going well and Woody also coming back strong it’s looking much better down back with almost our best aerial player to come back in Croz. I wonder what the right mix is with all of them?

My biggest concern with Young is I’m seriously concerned when he has ball in hand. But just has to play within his limitations and we can deal with that.

English only slightly behind

It’s hard to disagree with that. The way English is going, he will be too valuable as a forward to play in the ruck!

He can lead, read the play, take a contested mark, decent below the legs and a reliable kick. He pretty much ticks all the boxes as a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised Bevo had to mention Scott and McNeil and their growth etc. He has to justify why he is playing them in front of more deserving and capable players. Really worried he will not drop them until we lose a game no matter how bad they play. Worried how this may impact the playing group. If I was West, Lipi, Cavarra, Jong, Weightman,Wallis etc I would be pretty annoyed others are gifted games in front of them.

Bevo obviously does do so much good for us and is perfect in nearly every way but yeah these little mind boggling things like what you’ve mentioned is just sooo frustrating. How are these things so hard for him to see but sooooooo obvious to so many of us?

Everyone’s so surprised at Young’s game today. I’m not, not at all. He’s always shown so much more potential than Gardner, and the last footy he played in the side in 2019 was good. Imagine we had the 10+ games we’ve put into Gardner the past year into developing a player like Young.
I think they're both good. Young's a better mark / intercepter type, but Ryan's a good reliable disciplined defender who will get better

I think they're both good. Young's a better mark / intercepter type, but Ryan's a good reliable disciplined defender who will get better
Ryan’s definitely impressed me this year and improved out of sight. But I think if your trick is being just a good disciplined defender, you have to do it bloody well. If there’s not much between the twos body work and one on one defending then you just have to back in the one who marks the ball consistently over the one that spoils imo, and I really don’t think there’s much between the two in terms of one on one defending

Our tall forwards are playing sensational. Surely Bevo can see that Ben Cavarra would be a perfect mix for this team. I reckon we can win the flag if we lock down the Young/Gardner position and the small forward. A small forward would be licking there lips in the form Bruce, Timmy and Naughts are in I am shocked Bevo cant see it.

Naughton gave Andrews a bath. Can we stop with the Naughto to CHB now this bloke can win us a premiership at CHF

Oath hes had a great year, bit annoying he only has 9 been a bit wayward, should have 15. But I’m not as worried with his goal kicking as others here are, I think it’s coming along fine, never gonna be a dead eye but he kicks the ones he needs to and is generally solid on the set shot anywhere inside 40 or so. Probably needs to really work on his snaps as he really struggles from the pockets and if he can get that up to scratch it’s probably good for at least one more goal a game.
It was pretty awesome how Naughts was doing the power forward stuff up the ground today ... busting tackles, physical, running hard and through the opposition.. and Baz's last qtr fend off was a beauty too.

Last edited:
Did we just unearth our very own version of Noah Boltah in Lewis Young!?!?!? And it was all due to an injury to Gardner. Take note Bevo. Stop sticking to your stubborn selections. McNeil and Scott have had their chance. Now let’s see what West and Cavarra can do!!

I see it differently. I reckon Youngy has now possibly become the player we need due to working on things required in the 2’s much like Williams did a few years back.

We hear plenty of noise in here regarding selections, but surely the MC have it covered and know when players are ready??

Well played all round!! Go dogs!!!
If you can keep playing like that Young it will be glorious.
What a win and with a lot of our top guys not getting there usual amount of ball that only shows it was a good team win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back