Free Agency Jarrod Brander - signs with GWS as a DFA

You had 9 players over 192cm probably a few too many (McGovern rotham barrass brander waterman Kennedy Allen darling nicnat)
Team will just run over you like last weekend in the last quarter if you keep playing that tall

I think this is a reasonable assessment.

Even worse Waterman was under done which further compounded the problem.

We looked well short of run in the last quarter and half.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
You had 9 players over 192cm probably a few too many (McGovern rotham barrass brander waterman Kennedy Allen darling nicnat)
Team will just run over you like last weekend in the last quarter if you keep playing that tall
Factually incorrect.

And that fade out didn't happen because of height.

Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, GSW Bandwagoner
Bit of a misnomer here. Just because you're tall doesn't mean you can't be fit.
Incidentally Brander finished second on the distance covered per game for West Coast in 2020.

Top-five most distance covered per game in 2020
Andrew Gaff, 13.3km
Jarrod Brander, 11.5km

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

Great, now we have opposition supporters pointing out the bleeding obvious.

Not having a go either, many of us on the Eagles forum have been saying this for a very long time. BUT Simo keeps playing too tall and we get run over by faster running sides.

It really p!sses off a lot of Eagles fans that something so obvious is not addressed by the coach and club each week.

Fingers crossed we give JK a rest this week and bring in J Jones played a ripper in the WAFL.

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Very happy with Brander. Hopefully he stays.
Even though he is a vic lad he was an Eagles supporter growing up . He also didn't want to be part of any trade the last few seasons even though vic clubs inquired about him .
He wanted to win his spot on form and merit

A few things with Brander

He's found a great niche on the wing which probably reduces his attraction to other clubs as a developing key forward.

It should however boost his trade value and his desire to stay as he is performing at the moment

Hoping we keep him - consistent football has treated him well.

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Yeah no chance we would trade Clark for him unless you sent a high pick with brander (which you dont have). Theres a fair few players we would look at trading for him though.
A bit of a reversal since the end of last year with Brander looking very promising on a wing and Clark struggling to find a role

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The reality is Clark is a 3rd year utility who has played 28 games. Brander is a 4th year tall who has played 17.

I just enjoy the mental gymnastics justifying that Clark is worth more than the pick 15 used to draft him while Brander is worth nowhere near pick 13.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
The reality is Clark is a 3rd year utility who has played 28 games. Brander is a 4th year tall who has played 17.

I just enjoy the mental gymnastics justifying that Clark is worth more than the pick 15 used to draft him while Brander is worth nowhere near pick 13.
They are both worth less than their draft position. I think mid 20s for Clark (maybe a little more on account of 1 more year) and probably 25-30 for Brander.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Loving what Im seeing from this bloke in the past few games. He shares a quality with Pendlebury in that he has the ability to make time when it appears there is none. Has very good vision and awareness of whats around him and nice lateral movement which allows him to size up a situation quickly and move to avoid tacklers and deliver the ball. Combined with his height and aerial skills, he could develop into a midfield weapon.
Good signs, I hope we re-sign him on a minimum 3 year deal.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Loving what Im seeing from this bloke in the past few games. He shares a quality with Pendlebury in that he has the ability to make time when it appears there is none. Has very good vision and awareness of whats around him and nice lateral movement which allows him to size up a situation quickly and move to avoid tacklers and deliver the ball. Combined with his height and aerial skills, he could develop into a midfield weapon.
Good signs, I hope we re-sign him on a minimum 3 year deal.
Wait, you've managed to find a Pendlebury comparison? Why do I get the feeling the only likes you'll get will be from other WCE fans?

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
They are both worth less than their draft position. I think mid 20s for Clark (maybe a little more on account of 1 more year) and probably 25-30 for Brander.

That WAS the case - but he's now turned the page and has cemented his spot in our best 22 which I think is a surprise to all of us on our board. He has been an absolute shining light.
Last year would have swapped him for Clark on a heartbeat but not now.
Has a bit of a versatility too as he could now play midfield for us or he may bump out the spot many of us thought was Waterman's once JK retires.

From that 2017 draft we now have Oscar Allen, Jarrod Brander, Liam Ryan, Jack Petrucelle as well as Tim Kelly - 5 who are now best 22 from that one year.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
That WAS the case - but he's now turned the page and has cemented his spot in our best 22 which I think is a surprise to all of us on our board. He has been an absolute shining light.
Last year would have swapped him for Clark on a heartbeat but not now.
Has a bit of a versatility too as he could now play midfield for us or he may bump out the spot many of us thought was Waterman's once JK retires.

From that 2017 draft we now have Oscar Allen, Jarrod Brander, Liam Ryan, Jack Petrucelle as well as Tim Kelly - 5 who are now best 22 from that one year.
Averaging 10 disposal and less than a goal per game is your shining light? Genuinely not sure if serious?

You guys aren't what you were in 2018, but you're not going that bad.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Wait, you've managed to find a Pendlebury comparison? Why do I get the feeling the only likes you'll get will be from other WCE fans?
Look I understand that it might be difficult for a Freo support to acknowledge WC might have yet another talented tall on their list, I suggest you stay away from this thread over the coming years.
If you watched some of Branders possessions the past couple of games, you would see the attribute I am talking about. Why Pendels? Because he is the best I have seen at creating time and space for himself due to vision , awareness and lateral movement- he is the exemplified version of that skill set. Brander has displayed this on a number of occasions the past few weeks, hence the comparison.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Averaging 10 disposal and less than a goal per game is your shining light? Genuinely not sure if serious?

You guys aren't what you were in 2018, but you're not going that bad.

Yes he has been. Same with Petrucelle whose stats also may not tell the whole story (same with Jones past 3 rounds). You're srsly better off watching the games rather than stat hunting to see what others are saying. I'm just happy to see the composition of our team start to evolve and morph, I guess that is the silver lining to injuries.

I'm not trying to suggest a trade value or anything for him so not just trying to pump his tyres up - but there's a reason he's managed to stay in the team this season despite our abundance of talls.

Back