Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.
Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I want Nobes to cop the Gastorade shower treatment when (hopefully this week) we notch up his maiden win, there will be a fair crew in there any way

If we get done by 100+ again I hope he gets given a golden shower by a circle of angry members.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I mean, it's not that baffling. He'll want to win this one and that will take senior players. There's not a single bloke bashing the door down outside of the team and the forced changes of Jed and Polec means even those lightly tapping on it aren't getting a call up. Do we really think Atu (don't rule out as sub) or Spicer are going to win it for us? I assume Taylor isn't through the concussion tests and Xerri isn't fit.

Our problem is we have a deep injury list and the VFL hasn't started yet so for heading into round 4 that's a f***ing ridiculous conundrum to contend with so early. For all the hand-wringing we're pretty rooted, and Young was extremely poor last week.

I mean, it's not that baffling. He'll want to win this one and that will take senior players. There's not a single bloke bashing the door down outside of the team and the forced changes of Jed and Polec means even those lightly tapping on it aren't getting a call up. Do we really think Atu (don't rule out as sub) or Spicer are going to win it for us? I assume Taylor isn't through the concussion tests and Xerri isn't fit.

Our problem is we have a deep injury list and the VFL hasn't started yet so for heading into round 4 that's a f***ing ridiculous conundrum to contend with so early. For all the hand-wringing we're pretty rooted, and Young was extremely poor last week.

You and I both know he must be sacked. He has had long enough to make an impact and we have gone backwards. We have lost our identity as a club. If he isn't standing at the corner of Arden and Fogarty Streets with a cardboard box filled with his belongings by 9am Monday morning I'll bloody go he

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Really?

I thought he struggled but no worse than Atley and he has upside.

Been better all year also.

Young was dead in the water for most of last week with some crucial turnovers and with Bonar and McDonald back in the long run we have more to gain by dropping Young than dropping Atley. He's not been that much better either, we're only talking three games and you yourself refused to believe he'd be named round 1.

No doubt though if there was support there in the reserves Atley, Hall and younger guys like Zurhaar and Mahoney would probably find themselves watching on.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Young was dead in the water for most of last week with some crucial turnovers and with Bonar and McDonald back in the long run we have more to gain by dropping Young than dropping Atley. He's not been that much better either, we're only talking three games and you yourself refused to believe he'd be named round 1.

No doubt though if there was support there in the reserves Atley, Hall and younger guys like Zurhaar and Mahoney would probably find themselves watching on.

I thought Young was ordinary yes, but I've seen worse. Did I say that or Snake?

Bonar and McDonald fine I agree, but Atley I don't. (which I've said many times)

There are a lot of players in our team who are VERY lucky to be playing at the level.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I thought Young was ordinary yes, but I've seen worse. Did I say that or Snake?

Bonar and McDonald fine I agree, but Atley I don't. (which I've said many times)

There are a lot of players in our team who are VERY lucky to be playing at the level.

It was you, you wrote him off after the Hawks pre-season game where he was pretty average and I recall telling you not to be surprised if he's named Rd 1. Either way, his downside this week is he doesn't have as many strings to his bow, not much pace and very little rebound and when you're giving away multiple goals from half back turnovers you're in the gun. I rate him, he'll be better for the lesson.

There aren't many who should feel they are deserving the spot each week I agree.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You and I both know he must be sacked. He has had long enough to make an impact and we have gone backwards. We have lost our identity as a club. If he isn't standing at the corner of Arden and Fogarty Streets with a cardboard box filled with his belongings by 9am Monday morning I'll bloody go he
David Nobles. That S is going to be very hard to shake now. And we haven't even played yet.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was you, you wrote him off after the Hawks pre-season game where he was pretty average and I recall telling you not to be surprised if he's named Rd 1. Either way, his downside this week is he doesn't have as many strings to his bow, not much pace and very little rebound and when you're giving away multiple goals from half back turnovers you're in the gun. I rate him, he'll be better for the lesson.

There aren't many who should feel they are deserving the spot each week I agree.

Well I'm not sure on that but I'll go with it. Snake much harder than me (I'll admit I wasn't impressed at all either)

So you "telling me" it. Ok.

Fine then if he needs to work on his game and we sure need players to.

Last para we both agree and no worries

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
My only issue with the selections this week was Mahony staying in over Curtis

Other than that I think noble did what he could

Surely Curtis is a concussion thing. Should walk straight back in.

Where is Atu?

Good chance at sub. Doesn't need to be announced as a "debut" because he's played a couple of games for Collingwood IIRC.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

hallelujah

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

I’d have assumed Taylor wasn’t ready to play, but then he couldn’t be an emergency either? I was ready for Xerri not to be named after someone (training thread) warned he wouldn’t be ready yet.

And yes, the combination of deep injuries (in an already thin list) and no VFL is not helping at all.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

I do agree with everything you say, but I think after putting out there that poor efforts will cost players their spot in the team or on the list, dropping just one inexperienced player seems a bit surprising and underwhelming.

Having said that, the injury list is long and the talent pool is shallow, so I doubt that any changes would make a lick of difference.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Doing well so far, keeping the boys honest and highlighting the little wins along the way so they can front up a loss the following week with a better effort. Isn't afraid to shuffle the magnets and tries different approaches based on the team/ground.

Time will tell more towards the end of the year, but these very painful early days take a calm head at the mantle to help a young side grow, and Nobes is doing a good job so far.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he can get more efforts like today where even when we're down on energy we don't bleed goals out our anus, then we're actually at risk of not coming 18th. Todays effort is pretty close to being capable of beating a few teams on a good day, and with players to return and as we adjust to where we're at we will slowly improve more.

ohh_v

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool F.C
We're building nicely despite out injuries. From the Round 1 to now, we've gradually been able to play out more and more quarters.

I'm hopefully that now, we are not just going to be blown away. We'll still lose, but will learn how to stay competitive.

He is learning and finding out who's up to it and who's not by each game. We actually have a pretty promising backline, the mids will continue to grow. We just need to figure out our forward structure until we get someone who can tide us by for the season in the mid season draft.

I am all for pick 1 next year, but to do that and see us grow week on week as we have been would be great to see.

Back