Autopsy Lions get Naught in English Test - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone notice the run down tackles of Young on Zorko and Cameron. For 198cm, the guy has some toe.

He’s Bailey Williams mark 2 imo.Dalrymple recruited both of them on spec fromnSA. Neither played u19 champs, but they both had late had just turned 17 when they up— so took longer to develop and have lots of talent.

ps I really miss those late Dalrymple picks- a lot of them have become great players.

Massive start to the year

Beating 3 Top 8 sides from last year (when the knock on us was that we couldn’t) is huge - although the Pies seem to have dropped their bundle a little (part of it straight into our laps - we will always be thankful for the heights of the screwup you scaled to gift us Ads)

From here what matters is beating one of Port or the Tiges before round 10 - both away - not just for credibility but for internal belief - that and not dropping games to lesser opposition will define the new era I feel we are in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Tiges game in 3 weeks is going to be huge.

Not sure if it's been asked, but what does expected score mean and how is it generated?

Each shot at goal is given a percentage chance based on distance, angle and pressure. For example a shot at goal from the top of the goal square has a 95% chance of being a goal based on historical data going back to 2002 so therefore it's given an expected score of 5.7 (95% of 6). Each shot is goal is put through this formula and that's the total expected score.

It's become a key metric for clubs over the past 5 years as it's a great indicator of how the team is performing regardless of accuracy.

A much clearer and detailed explanation by the brilliant Darren O’Shaughnessy can be viewed below...

Last edited:
The stat Turnover Punished By Goal is literally just a turnover that results in a goal from that chain. Free kicks aren't counted as turnovers but scores from free kicks and 50mp are recorded.

Scores From Free Kicks
WB: 3.1
BL: 1.0

Scores From 50MP
WB:
BL: 1.0
Yep. I get it. I just think Libba gets off lightly the way it works.
Admittedly it was a pretty soft reversal but he's still accountable. Nobody's stats are qualified by whether it was a good umpiring decision or not.

Yep. I get it. I just think Libba gets off lightly the way it works.
Admittedly it was a pretty soft reversal but he's still accountable. Nobody's stats are qualified by whether it was a good umpiring decision or not.

Absolutely and he certainly is punished heavily AFL Player Ratings and CD Ranking Points it's just technically counted as a turnover. From now on I'll include scores against from frees and 50mp in the summary.

Seeing as though us winning the hitouts is an (arguably statistically insignificant but nonetheless) pretty momentous occasion worth celebrating, here's a brief review of our hitout fortunes under Bev. A useless, barely-analysis that I think Bev would title "go ruck yourself". (Disclaimer: These stats have been crudely, quickly and tiredly counted by someone that isn't in the know with these kinds of things. Please, talk to your GP about the risks associated with reading in to context-less stats before making a decision).

This is the first time we've won the hitouts since round 7, 2019, vs the Tigers (32-31). English equalled Nankervis' hitout tally that game (25 apiece).

This means that out of Tim's 51 games for the club, we've now won the hitouts in two of them.

In 2018 we won the hitouts on 3 occasions.

In 2017 we won the hitouts 5 times. We had an absolute purple patch of three straight games where we won the hitouts! Thanks, BTC.

2016: We won the hitouts on 6 occasions. Jong and Bont threatened the, like, ruck establishment, man, and the rules got changed as a result.

2015: We won the hitouts 5 times. Shoutout to Minson.

We haven't beaten any team in hitouts more than twice under Bev. The teams we have topped twice in hitouts: Tigers, Saints, Blues, Port, Eagles, Swans...And welcome to the list Lions.

Overall we've won the hitouts 20 times out of 131 games under Bev.

Bevo's win-loss record in games in which we've won the hitouts? 14-6.

In case anyone was wondering, is all.

Absolutely and he certainly is punished heavily AFL Player Ratings and CD Ranking Points it's just technically counted as a turnover. From now on I'll include scores against from frees and 50mp in the summary.
Thanks.
Just want to add that I really like your work here OG.
Adds another valuable perspective with material that isn't always readily available to the punters.

I want to pump the breaks a little bit re: Lewis Young because, not denying the intercept possessions and how he played well, but a lot of the game played right into his hands. Brisbane had to try and win the last quarter against the wind and kick 4-5 goals to win the game. Issue was we were still winning ground balls and dumping it forward. Brisbane had to flood one back to rebound 50 and pump it long which played right into Young's hands without a direct opponent and his skillset of virtual leap.

Of course, he still has to execute the situation he's found in, and he did so fantastically. One of his best games. I just hope that he can prove it in other situations, or he can offer more skill in transition ball movement. The couple of times he had to link up he looked a bit panicy under pressure that caused him to be dropped in the first place.

One way or another he has two more months of footy in the team to cement his place in different conditions. If he takes the confidence from fantastic game, he should be able to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young looks so much better and reliable

I’m not sure he does. Earlier in the game Young took possession from a loose contest deep inside def 50 with 4-5 dogs players around him and he panicked and kicked it down the line to a 2v1 contest against us. He had multiple handball options close by but panicked and went long.
Im not going to lay in to him for his overall game, because he was pretty good, but I can certainly See why the coaches are hesitant to bring him in as a genuine best 22.
There was enough from today’s game to suggest he’s the man to cover that role from here on in. But, he’s still a work in progress.

Think Young grabbed his chance with both hands today.

Wasn't perfect, but he did all of the things he had to - I can forgive one or two panicked wobbly kicks or missing an open handball for a guy that hasn't played at AFL level for god-knows-how-long, and I think has a lot more long-term potential than Gardner.

Good win when we had a few quiet players on the day.

Bit disappointing that not one of our players had long sleeves today. If not in 10 degrees with wind chill of minus 6 and some obligatory horizontal rain, hard to think it would happen any other time?

Did we just unearth our very own version of Noah Boltah in Lewis Young!?!?!? And it was all due to an injury to Gardner. Take note Bevo. Stop sticking to your stubborn selections. McNeil and Scott have had their chance. Now let’s see what West and Cavarra can do!!
Take note Bevo picked him when he earns it

Mattdougie I never want you to complain about playing in Ballarat again.

1. It banks the club 400k a year.

2. We’ve turned it into a fortress.

Stop your whinging. Nobody cares.

And also, how bloody good is Bailey Dale!!!
Every good game Dale plays MD needs to use one less of the stupid laughing emojis

What this could have been with a small forward who knows where to be when the high balls come in. McNeill, Scott and even Vandermeer is not that man.
Ye
Bevo makes me so nervous.

It’s taken him 7 years to realise having a genuine ruckman is good for an elite midfield

We unearth a star in Young who wouldn’t have been given a chance if gardner didn’t get injured

He continues to play two kids who Just aren’t up to it while cavarra and west can’t get a look in
Bevo was chasing Martin for 5 plus years don’t mistake not playing crap ruck for not rating ruckman and Bevo is making Young the player his talent deserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back