PS5 Playstation 5 - Articles, accessories and everything else

Soxors

Draftee
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have not seen many consoles available the last fortnight or so. Sad me. There seemed to be more trickling in a month ago.
Today's reply.
Screenshot_20210403-211843_Messenger.jpg

Thought as much.
When it was released I had decided to wait a little before looking to purchase due to a new job, an additional family member etc and then in around Feb/early March there seemed to be an alert or two each week...

Mrs cats2rise and the 6 month old are now going away for 3 nights in early May and now I am chomping at the bit to get one before then... but now not as available as before.

Ah well.

Thought as much.
When it was released I had decided to wait a little before looking to purchase due to a new job, an additional family member etc and then in around Feb/early March there seemed to be an alert or two each week...

Mrs cats2rise and the 6 month old are now going away for 3 nights in early May and now I am chomping at the bit to get one before then... but now not as available as before.

Ah well.

Family aside, I also made same decision to delay.

Based on the company I work for, despite being tools and not technology, recoveries seem around mid year so that's what I'm hedging bets on, your June-Aug window before you start getting any sort of "we expect X in Y" statements with any sort of backing.

I will say though if you are hankering at the bit, look at Europe. There's a fair chunk of overlap where we as a market are concerned, so if you see that there's saturations there, chances are it'll happen over here to a lesser extent sicne we're viewed as small market wise.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's pretty weird. Heaps of people were going on about wanting Bluepoint to remake Bloodborne after how they handled Demons Souls, and that game is even more recent than TLOU1.

It's kind of dumb, I just want to see a new IP from Naughty Dog (which apparently they're working on) - but if you're going to reveal a TLOU1 remake before the IP, the news is never going to sit well.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just cruising around Twitter and saw an interesting thread that made me look this up.

Bend tried to pitch Days Gone 2 to Sony. Sony said yeah nah and instead tried to split Bend by having half work on a multiplayer game with Naughty Dog and a new Uncharted under Naughty Dog supervision. Some staff, including leads, left Bend in fear of being absorbed into Naughty Dog. It got so bad that the rest at Bend asked to be taken off the project. They got their way and are now working on a new project.

Sounds messy. Developers shouldn't have projects forced into them IMO.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sounds like they only want their own studios to produce the blockbusters.

I think Naughty Dog are just going ridiculously hard on the IP because of the upcoming HBO Show, and Sony is enabling it because of their history. Not the best look.

So what do we have;

- TLOU2 PS5 Patch
- TLOU2 PS5 Physical release w/ Factions MP (or)
- Factions standalone release (Which is why Bend was helping)
- TLOU1 Remake that's already been in development for years
- TLOU HBO Television Show

All in the next couple of years.

There is definitely a market for all of that and it will do well, but I just want to hear about new s**t.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Sony doubling down on their biggest earner makes sense, but it seems pretty bad though that Bend staff actually left their job over it. They want to do their own stuff. ND is Sony's big ticket and I get the impression that they just expected others to give up their creative freedom for it. Days Gone still sold really well and had a solid foundation to improve from. Sony need to diversify their studios, not homogenise them, if they want to rely on their exclusives being a draw card vs Microsoft and Game Pass. More titles from unique IPs the better IMO.

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Days Gone was fantastic. Not sure why Sony is letting reviews affect business decisions like that.

Weren’t most of the poor reviews based on he game running poorly rather than the game play?

I think I read somewhere that Sony sent reviewers a copy that hasn’t been patched.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

hornetswce

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Sony doubling down on their biggest earner makes sense, but it seems pretty bad though that Bend staff actually left their job over it. They want to do their own stuff. ND is Sony's big ticket and I get the impression that they just expected others to give up their creative freedom for it. Days Gone still sold really well and had a solid foundation to improve from. Sony need to diversify their studios, not homogenise them, if they want to rely on their exclusives being a draw card vs Microsoft and Game Pass. More titles from unique IPs the better IMO.

I suppose if Sony are paying to keep the lights on they can utilise the studio the way they see fit. The same thing will start happening with these studios Microsoft are buying when they want to start seeing some revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

nicko99

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Western Warriors
Days Gone not getting a sequel is not surprising, it was buggy at launch and im guessing most of the sales was at discount prices.

Hopefully the remake gets canned as they're is zero demand for it and the original remaster still holds up good, it just a waste of resources.
Also wish ND were developing a new IP as Uncharted is kind of done.

THe Bloomberg article was mostly a hit piece, the only substance it had was Sony Bend losing their autonomy

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Budget was prob just as big of an issue with Bend. and with parts of the industry moving to either live services or a subscription model like EA and Gamepass we will see less big budget new IP AAA games

I do wonder if they are still working an the other game. we knew last year Days Gone 2 was dead when key people left and 2 new writers were hired for a new IP. Being used to help with Factions is hopefully a good thing since ive been waiting for that forever.

Its a double edged sword, you need to prove yourself as a studio to make big budget IPs, but its also hard to prove when working on smaller games. Which is also why more studios are 2 team studios. with quite a few working on multiplayer games including Naughty dog and Guerrilla games. because its hard to keep a studio afloat for 5+ years while making a game without a B team working on something to try and bring in money.

If Ghost of Tshuima failed Sucker Punch might be in the same situation or moved back to something like infamous. Bend was only given one chance after spending the PS3 gen as a PSP/Vita studio while helping support some others finish games.

Back