Review Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda - Rd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree and sadly, I am even nastier than you, I might just throw a cup or two of lawn mower fuel on the fire from my billy can.

The living embodiment of human excrement made flesh.

I do so enjoy savouring his tears when we smashed the D's at Optus in 2018 during his half-time whinge. May that tradition continue.

Negative
Still can't get over that 44 minutes of sh*t.

Honest question- does anyone actually think we were playing well during that first 86 minutes?

We were in front due to dumb luck.

That's the worst I have seen us since the Woosha years. Outnumbered everywhere, can't win a ground ball or hit a target.

Woeful stuff. Let's hope it's a one week thing.

Honest question.

Does anyone actually think we were playing well during that first 86 minutes?

That's the worst I have seen us since the Woosha years. Outnumbered everywhere, can't win a ground ball or hit a target.

Woeful stuff.

Good teams win when they aren't playing well.

We win when we can play on our own terms, otherwise we're weaker than baby piss.

This is the reason why Richmond have been so good for so long, even when they are down and things aren't falling their way, their effort remains.

Its the same old story: ground ball differential where we have been getting killed.

Its happened the last 2 seasons, everyone is acutely aware of it, but Simpson seems to be doing nothing to address it. Yeo and Shuey paper over the cracks because they actually hunt the ball, tackle, and do all the tough stuff. Kelly, Redden, Gaff and to a lesser extent Sheed just don't want to the hard stuff, often enough, for long enough

Positive: It's over

Negative: Panel of victorian utensil heads openly cheering for the saints.
Another reason to Dislike Saint Kilda. The media cream their pants about the saints.

Fortunately your mob has them late in the season again, this time in Perth.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the last game we played four quarters? Actual foot on the throat stuff. Congrats to the Saints for having some sack, we had witches hats out there for the last 40 mins. Embarrassing.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the last game we played four quarters? Actual foot on the throat stuff. Congrats to the Saints for having some sack, we had witches hats out there for the last 40 mins. Embarrassing.
The one that we played 4 quarters is the early Collingwood game at home in 19.

Versus Richmond late last year away before the rain settled in would be another. Or was that late 19.

The freo game in 19 when we flogged them and had the Harry hi pants photos.

I don't believe there are many more.

Versus Richmond late last year away before the rain settled in would be another. Or was that late 19.

Game plan is to smoke em in two quarters then chill.

Honest question- does anyone actually think we were playing well during that first 86 minutes?

Woeful stuff. Let's hope it's a one week thing.
Super efficient forward line and Saints missing easy chances certainly helped. They definitely played into our hands early. When they didn't we looked around for Shuey, Yeo and Hurn and they weren't there and we folded. That's a big concern. The lack of leadership on the field was alarming.

Super efficient forward line and Saints missing easy chances certainly helped. They definitely played into our hands early. When they didn't we looked around for Shuey, Yeo and Hurn and they weren't there and we folded. That's a big concern. The lack of leadership on the field was alarming.
Yep, straight kick wallpapered cracks, and 3 early goals where we jumped the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 goals and 19 behinds kicked in that derby you mentioned. Half of them were rushed behinds too. The other half of those behinds were sprayed.

So thats technically 2 goals and 9 behinds from scoing shots.

Another reason to Dislike Saint Kilda. The media cream their pants about the saints.

Good, cattle-wise we should be in a stronger position, injuries and dumb luck allowing...

They'll get crunched the next couple of weeks.

Pity our mob is so weak-willed that they gave up such a lead though.

+

Petch and Brander
Shep's milestone. A true go to work to work professional. Have always appreciated his approach.

_

Effort. Thinking it can be regulated at will is fools gold and disrespectful to your mates, your oppo, and your supporters. Effort "breaks" undermine great skills and it seems to be tolerated by some of the side and coaches. It is WC's glass jaw and needs addressing. Mental approaches are twice as difficult to correct than skills. This is an unfortunate trend that has led to WC settling for better than most with a side that has premiership contending skills aplenty. It's a glaring disconnect and amazing that the Eagles accept it.

Let me save you the trouble:

Before half time - mids were allowed to roam freely and rack up uncontested possessions. We looked a million bucks.

After half time - St Kilda adopted a man-on-man strategy and forced our mids to play accountable football. We kicked 1 point to full time, they kicked 50 points.

Thats it. No masterstroke of coaching. No one sustained a game-ending injury (beyond Hurn). We didnt run out of puff and the Saints didnt suddenly turn into worldbeaters. We were forced into playing a contested form of footy, and that went about as well as we have come to expect.
Unfortunately it's the same story. We're a fantastic team when it's going our way. Not enough campaigner when it's not going our way. We did really well in the Bulldogs game in this respect, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Even in 2018 that was the case. We were peaking as a playing group and most games were played on our terms. But it almost cost us the granny - Clarkson's hawks, roos' Swans or even woosha's 06 team would not have just rolled over and given a 5 goal start like that.

I know there's a lot of trade offs in sport and definitely in this competition. The salary cap evens things out. Skill based tactics = less hardness. More attack means you'll leak goals. And so on. Only the great teams can have it all. We're a good team. A flag winning squad. But we aren't a great team. So I accept there are limitations.

But boy this propensity to roll over and concede goals is infuriating.

+ve Petch and Branders first halves. Young guys gave a s**t and looked good for a half.

-ve most embarrassing performance I can remember for a decade. Just awful. I'm generally a very optimistic supporter and just can't fathom what happened today. Weak as piss.

If we were a bottom 4 team that 2nd half was unacceptable, but for a supposed premiership contender it's just ridiculous.

So many overpaid hacks that just do not stand up when it matters. If there's a more overpaid player in the comp than Gaffy please tell me who it is

Id like to say this game is a wake up call.

But it wont be.

This midfield has been beaten more often than not in the last 5 yearz.
It's an interesting statement. There's lies damn lies and Statistics but I reckon you could argue your statement is correct and our Forward's and Backs have been the Backbone of any success. The exception being a real lift through the midfield when Mitchell was given full coach license.
I've now officially become a hater of Simmos midfield dogma. Frankly it's never been on the money. It's a belief born out of a Hawks Clarkson system that had so much individual talent you could stick individuals in any role and they'd smash it. It actually becomes really easy to coach when your talent is so good you can play them in almost any role. As Clarko is finding himself however, once your talent isn't at that level you have to do things a bit different.
All you need to know is one Coach can decide to keep a player in their best role and maximize their individual affect such as Kelly at Geelong. Whilst another will spend years sticking to beliefs you must be able to roll through numerous varied roles and I'll keep making you do them till you can do them all at any time. Regardless of how many repeated game losses, and top 4 finishes, premiership possibilities it costs us.
I know you have to have a belief in your own system but it has become a dogmatic problem for Simmo. The constant Dogma of training in multiple roles must always be balanced against win/loss. This was not a game to * with midfield as he did. It was another dogmatic error and it has become his Achilles.

Last edited:
Play half a game last week - "You gaiz are so harsh, we got the win didn't we, what's wrong with the team taking the foot off"

Play half a game this week - "Fold the club, worst loss i've ever seen, diabolical, Bush did 9/11"

Because winning is everything. Cats looked fukn awful last Monday but guess what, they have the those 4 points. That's what good teams do, they get the 4 points.

We had that many chances to take the win (even after being headed) and folded like a pack of bitches today.

Worst performance I can remember for a decade

Hurn out really hurt.

Backline looked lost every time they got the footy. No direction. Look inboard, see nothing, go wide eyed, look down the line where they know they shouldn't kick it, look inboard again, get panicky, hear the umpire call play on and wet their pants. Rinse and repeat. Bit sad as it shows how much we're reliant on the guidance and influence of a bloke who was tipped to be retiring at the end of the year.

Likewise Shuey with the mids.

Mids just had no synergy. Would win first possession courtesy of Naitanui and then cough it up directly (Kelly you spud) or flick it around a bit THEN waste the footy. There was no real flow around the contest to actually GET OUT of the centre with purpose. Sheed hack kicking it towards the wing is taking years off my life.

Shuey directing the limp mids and Hurn directing the backs would've made a world of difference.

+ found an awesome Indian restaurant just around the corner.

- this crap at kick ins. Can anyone tell me what the tactical advantage is to this and why do we keep doing it when it’s obviously not working?

aa60bbfd8ccb9fe507f59b8545554e5e.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back