AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

In reality you dont want him getting massive for the sake of it. Functional strength through his core and through his shoulders is key to ensure he isnt thrown around 1v1. Look at Darcy Moore. He is a similar height and only 100kgs and seems to go just fine.

If you put too much weight on Reid then you run the risk of limiting his major asset which is his fuidity of movement. Looking at his body type, he could probably max out at 98kg-100kg and his length would allow him to defend almost anyone.

If he could be a Darcy Moore type that would be perfect, Harris Andrews is a similar size I think as well. With the running these guys do I doubt too many are much about 100kg these days. Maybe Dixon / Hawkins and the ruckmen.

Was named as an emergency with BZT against Geelong, so theoretically he's in the mix for the Stewart spot, even though he's unlikely.
With Stewart being 8-10 weeks I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he debuts much sooner than anticipated. I don’t expect it to be round 1, but Hooker is old and I could see him going past BZT pretty quickly.

For posterity;
But new Bombers senior coach Ben Rutten told AFL.com.au that the 19-year-old will play in a VFL scratch match on Friday and press his claims to be picked in the round one clash against Hawthorn the following week.

"We haven't quite seen him up and playing in the past couple of games with us but from what we're seeing at training he's not far away. We're pretty keen to have a look at him, that's for sure, because I think he's got a bright future for us," Rutten said.

"Whether it's next week or not, I'm not sure yet, but he'll have a hitout on Friday against Richmond and we're looking for him to start establishing himself as a key defender."

If he's fit and able, * it, play him.

Not like Hawthorne has a dazzling array of tall forwards to hurt him.

Might get a dick pic or two sent his way though...

If he's fit and able, fu** it, play him.

Not like Hawthorne has a dazzling array of tall forwards to hurt him.

Might get a dick pic or two sent his way though...
Don't curse him like you did with Gumby

Can't help but feel if Woosha was coach Zach would be looking at a 2023 debut

If his body is capable enough to play safely just get him in... But is his body ready?

Interesting situation.

Going off the club draft video they put out they are very much aware that kids will be underdeveloped coming into the AFL having missed a year of footy.

So does handing out early debuts hurt them further development wise or does it make up for the gap and expose kids earlier.
I think it will probably be situational but I would have though early games against beatable opposition was good for them. If he's physically ready to go I say throw him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zach Reid
“Zach only played a quarter. He copped a massive corkie on the hip pointer and couldn’t come back on. It was only six minutes into the game, so a bit of back luck for him. Hopefully he’ll be right for this week.”

9FF17A98-7E17-48DE-BCE9-F3C0940D4436.png
Loved this image from the video above.
Ridley and brand both listed as 195cm and Reid just towers above them both at 202cm and I think considering the way the game is going e.g daniher, hipwood, the kings, lynch, McKay, Cox, and probably others all being 200cm plus forwards, a key defender who is tall enough to cover these players is vital. Even better that he seems to be a great user of the footy. Really hope he gets some games against skinner kpf’s this year.

Played a full game under duress off zero training. Welcome to Essendon?

"It was a great effort for 'Reidy' to get up from a massive corkie last week. We weren't sure how much time he'd get because he was pretty sore and didn't train in the week, but he got himself up, got in the mindset to play under duress, and actually played a full game. He competed hard, intercepted a few marks, spoiled well and used the ball well off half-back."

Played a full game under duress off zero training. Welcome to Essendon?

"It was a great effort for 'Reidy' to get up from a massive corkie last week. We weren't sure how much time he'd get because he was pretty sore and didn't train in the week, but he got himself up, got in the mindset to play under duress, and actually played a full game. He competed hard, intercepted a few marks, spoiled well and used the ball well off half-back."

Not training and playing a game under duress...also known as The Jake Stringer Method.

The talk from the VFL watches is that he gets pushed off the ball too easily simply because he doesn’t have the weight to compete yet. The rest of his game seems to be pretty good though. It seems like at this stage he’d be more likely to play as injury cover for Ridley and his role rather than coming in as a swap for a Zerk or Francis who play much more strength based roles.

The talk from the VFL watches is that he gets pushed off the ball too easily simply because he doesn’t have the weight to compete yet. The rest of his game seems to be pretty good though. It seems like at this stage he’d be more likely to play as injury cover for Ridley and his role rather than coming in as a swap for a Zerk or Francis who play much more strength based roles.
But can he break people's limbs with his face?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back