Game Day Geelong v Melbourne Sun Apr 11 @ MCG 3:20 pm - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back at the G

Home of the D

Week after rolling the Dorks.

Can we fill them D's with forks?

One of many reasons im not a scribe with mush like that.

But - the underlying theory prevails. Can we knock off the unbeaten Demons on their dung heap? We are not at full strength. They pretty much are - and they are on fire right now.
They lift to play us too - like most teams.... the old 186 still tweaks them.... but many of their list wasn't there for that.

We are barely going as well. And our record of work the week after Hawks games is not stellar. There is a let down there.

And I feel for Zuthrie. Lots of ire about his inclusion - the bloke is just doing his best. He didnt pick himself..... but he can certainly give himself some breathing space by getting more than 6 touches for the game.

We'll need to be at our best today and the Shark Bite will need to remove one of Oliver or Petracca from their best list for us to have a crack. Stanley has given a decent showing v Gawn on occasions previous and we'll need that again today too.

I big task V the hot Demons... but can we knock them off??!?!

GO Catters

For those unaware, it’s 8 degrees and rainy. Going to be a slog. Not ideal for controlling and slow play. Need to keep it simple and win lots of contests. A shame Constable isn’t playing; if he can’t play well in these conditions he never will.

For those unaware, it’s 8 degrees and rainy. Going to be a slog. Not ideal for controlling and slow play. Need to keep it simple and win lots of contests. A shame Constable isn’t playing; if he can’t play well in these conditions he never will.

He can and would play well in these conditions (does all the time) the geniuses just decided to ignore a big ball winner and goal kicker once again.
Scott gets a vote from the Guthrie and Dalhaus families once more.

I think the fact he's not out there answers your last if

Feels the final outcome is almost more up to them than us. They have found some... interesting ways to give us the 4 points:

2018 v1: Gawn misses a kick with 10 seconds to win the game
2018 v2: Tuohy kicks the winning goal after the siren
2018 v3: The anomaly... but more likely just our "oh, we're playing?" post-bye malaise
2019: Destroyed all night (our only solid win in the last 5 games vs them)
2020: Come home fast but just fall short in a steaming dump of a game

The way we're playing, our best bet is a repeat of last year's game. Slow, possession footy that we all complained about last week. It's not great and it's going to have to change, but feels like a game with much speed on it will see us go down.

I think the weather helps us. That last 5 mins against Hawthorn we controlled the ball by locking it down. We do that today and only let it out when it suits us, and we win. Melbourne don't have enough big bodies to control the ball in the wet.

Back at the G

Home of the D

But - the underlying theory prevails. Can we knock off the unbeaten Demons on their dung heap? We are not at full strength. They pretty much are - and they are on fire right now.
They lift to play us too - like most teams.... the old 186 still tweaks them.... but many of their list wasn't there for that.

We are barely going as well. And our record of work the week after Hawks games is not stellar. There is a let down there.

And I feel for Zuthrie. Lots of ire about his inclusion - the bloke is just doing his best. He didnt pick himself..... but he can certainly give himself some breathing space by getting more than 6 touches for the game.

We'll need to be at our best today and the Shark Bite will need to remove one of Oliver or Petracca from their best list for us to have a crack. Stanley has given a decent showing v Gawn on occasions previous and we'll need that again today too.

GO Catters
It's weird but haters gonna hate. Guthrie wasn't even our worst player against the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I admit I was a little harsh on Zac in the preview so I apologise for any offence taken.

I'm just a little disillusioned with our style of play ... We have far too many defensive players in our team and then we go and add another directly after Scott confirmed it.

The problem I have with Guthrie is that he's as bland as they come in regards to attributes. He's slow, is indecisive, gets pushed off the ball far too easily and doesn't really offer anything that other players in the VFL do.

Now where does he play?

Defence - we have far too many as it is.

Wing - far too slow and we have Smith, Menegola and a few others far more suited.

Forward - has he proven himself capable of playing that role?

I'm mystified.

I'd have thought another foil for Hawkins would have been our number 1 priority.

Back at the G

Home of the D

GO Catters

ZG could get traded to Rich ..and plenty would wonder why Geelong let him go. Our club has a good eye for the long game..sometimes it fails but plenty of times it does not. If they see a player doing all the right things then I can understand them encouraging him etc.

My only issue is what type of player is he... really a defender? Another defender. Do they see a role for him on ball as a def mid?

Gawn forward and Jackson on ball throws a different look at us. Blitz has to stay back. Stanley has to ruck and thrash Jackson.

How fit is Menegola? Who stops Petricca? Can CGunthrie continue his GAjr 29 ability to get a stack of the ball..

Several questions which make this game interesting

I admit I was a little harsh on Zac in the preview so I apologise for any offence taken.

I'm just a little disillusioned with our style of play ... We have far too many defensive players in our team and then we go and add another directly after Scott confirmed it.

The problem I have with Guthrie is that he's as bland as they come in regards to attributes. He's slow, is indecisive, gets pushed off the ball far too easily and doesn't really offer anything that other players in the VFL do.

Now where does he play?

Wing - far too slow and we have Smith, Menegola and a few others far more suited.

I'm mystified.

I'd have thought another foil for Hawkins would have been our number 1 priority.
Good points.
Henry could be the forward player again to help Hawkins. Good spring, good mark, mobile, decent kick for goal.
ZGuthrie-not that slow, and I think these conditions could suit him. I think back to the final v Tigers in 2017- he was nowhere near our worst in testing conditions and pressure. Another role player who CS and MC will have a specific task in mind.
But admittedly, many times ZG plays we lose. He is strong and quick enough to do a blanketing job? Maybe Oliver, while MOC gets Petracca?

Now where does he play?

I'm mystified.

Henry is the help for Hawkins, and Zac is in to take Henry’s spot in defence. Also keep in mind O’Connor will play on Petracca so there is not actually that many defenders.

Now where does he play?

I'm mystified.

No need to apologise. His inclusion is bloody ridiculous. Would rather try out Taheny or any other kid than one who has failed the test on 20 previous occasions.

Now where does he play?

I'm mystified.

Good post.

Vocalises what many of us think I reckon.

No need to apologise. His inclusion is bloody ridiculous. Would rather try out Taheny or any other kid than one who has failed the test on 20 previous occasions.
22 games, 12 wins, 1 draw, 9 losses- not great winning % cf the rest of our team, but I doubt it is cause and effect. Most people probably agree that he does not SEEM to be an answer for anything, but there have been games where he has been important, and CS will have a role for him given he is not the injury sub.

Henry is the help for Hawkins, and Zac is in to take Henry’s spot in defence. Also keep in mind O’Connor will play on Petracca so there is not actually that many defenders.
I didn't go last week but it appeared Duncan played a lot in defence. Far better option. We need run.

It’s perfect Bartellian footy weather. We just need a few more Bartels. 😬

Parfitt, Menegola, Miers & Tuohy have all shown a fondness for the long sleeves - wonder if we'll see them don them again today

I forgot about Close - not sure if he even has a short sleeved guernsey, can only recall seeing him in the long sleeves

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back