Autopsy Round 4 = Collingwood 60-90 GWS

Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why is it Buckley’s fault?

The head coach is responsible for the issues of the past five years:
  • Bringing in senior players that don't address the lack of KP players (Beams, Mayne, Wells) and significantly overpaying them in the process
  • Bloated contracts to overrated players (Grundy, De Goey, Phillips, Treloar, Adams, Cox, Stephenson to name a few.)
  • Inability to make tactical changes on game day
  • Lack of clear understanding of game plan between players
  • Poor assistant coaching

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
The head coach is responsible for the issues of the past five years:
  • Bringing in senior players that don't address the lack of KP players (Beams, Mayne, Wells) and significantly overpaying them in the process
  • Bloated contracts to overrated players (Grundy, De Goey, Phillips, Treloar, Adams, Cox, Stephenson to name a few.)
  • Inability to make tactical changes on game day
  • Lack of clear understanding of game plan between players
  • Poor assistant coaching
The footy department, Geoff Walsh was responsible for three of those. That’s not to say Buckley didn’t have a say of course.

I think Buckley has extracted a maximum out of a playing list that lacks class and polish. Short of jumping on the field and kicking the ball himself, there is not much he can do about the turnovers.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Having slept on that abomination - I now feel worse.:(

A lot of the problem is in the heads of the players. We seem to be in a collective ‘couldn’t give a stuff’ slump.

The atrocious skills on display last night - in the same conditions against similar opposition when we are up in confidence - that doesn’t happen. Nowhere near as bad.

Personnel change may help, gradually bringing in new (or semi-new) blood. If they show something, it could give the team a lift. But if they don’t...

As someone else posted, this latest version of ‘rot’ started with the limp effort against Geelong in last year’s final, then rolled on through our off-season. Heaven help us in 2021.

After the train wreck of the off season I was always of the opinion that the proof will be in the pudding this year. If the playing group understood, and possibly even had a say, the departures of AT, Flipper and Stevo then they would be a collected and united group.
If not and the fabric of the club was torn then we’d see a disjointed and dispirited side on the park.
Sadly it appears the latter.
The season is shot and now is the time to see what we have to bring through. No point throwing youngsters to the wolves but there is no problem blooding them and rotating them in and out for the rest of the year.
Is there a prospective key back we can slot in, is there someone who has the potential to replace what WHE and Josh Thomas provide, some games into Will Kelly etc.
I’m truly hoping the answer is yes because if not we’re deeper in that we thought. Things are never as good or as bad as they seem at the time but now is the time to look to a rejuvenating future.

Magnanimous

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
And we are paying a bloke $300,000 to play well for the bulldogs today. Thanks Bucks you flog
Becoming clear the players were lost over the summer with the debacle it was.
These guys know most are safe and have opted to not buy in under Bucks and he will be out the door as a resut.

Going to be some kind of train wreck

On SM-T280 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
The mood I was in last night after leaving the G.. I reckon I coulda easily gone to Serge's for my customary $220 trim.. and asked for a *en crew cut or a *en mullet.. yeah just *en do it man I'm *en pissed.. I was so in *en lala land.. now that I've had a decent amount time to think about it and relax a tad and that re.. lil bit of here.. lol bit of there.. thank * for that man.

MoreMoore

All Australian
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Noble was on him for a while in the second quarter. That didn't work either, as Greene just brushed him aside. What amused me was the commentators banging on about how great Quaynor was while Greene kicked 3 goals on him. ('It's not Quaynor's fault. He's done everything right!'}

Quaynor was doing what he always does - playing off his man, guarding him from 4 or 5 metres away. He is good overhead, and creative with his run and disposal, but he should be allowed to play loose on a lesser opponent.
It should have been Greenwood and Maynard from the first bounce

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
A terrible but not unexpected outcome. Leon Cameron must have thought thank * we are playing Collingwood this week. I know exactly what they are going to do. This was probably the worst GWS side we have played in four or five years and we were nothing short of pathetic. Zac Williams has left, Cameron has left, No Whitfield, No Davis, No Coniglio, Preuss, De Boer etc. We are a joke at the moment.

Our goals very rarely are from any system of play. It’s often just individual brilliance.

I don‘t know who is responsible from pre match planning and match ups and tactics throughout the game but IQ on Greene was never going to be a good match up.

We play slow, unskilled, boring football.

We will just have to ride this season out. It’s a write off. Hopefully two or three kids get blooded and develop. We get a new coach next season, finally recruit some proper tall forwards and develop a better game style.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our list is cooked. Couldn’t be more simple.

midifeld gets destroyed each week, Pendles and sidey wrong side of 30. Which leaves adams

We have a Adams... that’s it... who’s ALWAYS injured...

Grundy don’t get me started 4 weeks into 7 years. Paid twice what the best rucks are. This is going to cause issues amongst the player make no mistake

forwards? We lack TWO KPF. TWO! How? How is it possible that a club can lack two... checkers is a third tall, poor bloke..

How many young players we got that aren’t up to it? But get played because there’s nothing else.

our only hope to fix is this through first round picks in the draft. If we trade next years first I’ll lose it. We’ve traded a bottom 5 pick for two picks in the mid 20’s...We have no draft currency whatsoever.

we have two picks in the mid season draft, we better get them right...

This is FULL rebuild territory off and on the field. Make no mistake.

Wells-mayne-beams-treloar, phillips, Stevo, Grundy contact. Huge reasons why we are here.

it not just bucks fault...

Nov 2, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Should have accepted the 2 first rounders the Crows offered us , as I have stated , a couple of moons ago , done now, Brodie for a packet of twisties. chicken please
Agree with everything about this post except the chicken. Saying chicken twisties are beter than cheese is like saying DeGoey is better than Dusty.

Surely from now on the sub AND first emergency don't play VFL...?
With a floating VFL fixture where possible we should request that our VFL side plays after the senior team. Currently only for ANZAC day and Queen's birthday that's not achievable. With yesterday's VFL being a practice match we could have scheduled it on any day against the cats.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps it was the rain streaming down his face and through his hair, but Grundy looked pale, thinner and unthreatening. His opposition could have known by staring into his eyes, 'I can take this man tonight', as indeed he did. It is our destiny. week after week, to watch 7 million dollars slip meekly away through the Herculean efforts of opposition second string ruckman, some of whom may be required to play only twice a year just to combat the man they have made their bitch in Grundy. Then the greats of the competition in Nic Nat and Gawn will truly work him over. Grundy needs a rocket up his arse, though perhaps a lot, lot more to ever again achieve the heights of 2018.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why on earth would you play Sier with Gastro. The guy isn’t fit enough to play a quarter of football at the best of times...
Now that we no longer have Adams for many weeks and months, Sier will become our main bull in the centre. We will want to hope that his game against GWS was entirely effected by gastro because he went totally missing against them and his lack of contribution was barely apparent once removed from the ground.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
The footy department, Geoff Walsh was responsible for three of those. That’s not to say Buckley didn’t have a say of course.

I think Buckley has extracted a maximum out of a playing list that lacks class and polish. Short of jumping on the field and kicking the ball himself, there is not much he can do about the turnovers.

Buckley has had the opportunity to coach every sort of side you could possibly put out there.. kids.. a rebuild.. experienced.. premiership window.. injury riddled.. an MM Ferrari..

and has failed..

There's no excuses left.

Time to resign.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure what’s worse, thinking we’re not in a hole, or thinking we can turn it around.
59AD8549-0BF2-4317-803E-43DDC92EC1F5.jpeg

Back