Autopsy Lions get Naught in English Test - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

When is English contracted with us to?

Following the jubilation of realising we have so many stars in our team, the panic has now set in that we will not be able to retain them all! 😂

I am worried that at this rate English will command $800k a year and a Fremantle type might make a huge offer!

Following the jubilation of realising we have so many stars in our team, the panic has now set in that we will not be able to retain them all! 😂

I am worried that at this rate English will command $800k a year and a Fremantle type might make a huge offer!
Contracted through 2022.

Peter Sumich reckons he won't go home while we are going well.

Contracted through 2022.

I don’t think there’s any risk of English going to WA IMO. There’s more a risk of him following his partner wherever she is. I believe she’s a Sydney girl currently playing for the Firebirds in the netball (with Treloar’s partner and Dunkley’s sister).

Had similar thoughts. English, Naughton, Smith will all get $800k offers elsewhere.

Need a few to take a discount to stay.

I don’t think there’s any risk of English going to WA IMO. There’s more a risk of him following his partner wherever she is. I believe she’s a Sydney girl currently playing for the Firebirds in the netball (with Treloar’s partner and Dunkley’s sister).
The simple and logical answer to this dilemma is just enter a Footscray team in the Super Netball Comp. We’d have three immediate recruits and it assists in player retention strategies.

Seriously, though. GWS has a team. And who doesn’t want to enhance our rivalry with GWS across multiple codes? .... Ameet, let’s talk.

Easton Wood with that Tyrone Power haircut, is the greatest exhibition of manhood we have ever fielded.
Now on to the game.
Sitting in the NE pocket next to the cheersquad, watching our various aerialists in action up close was a sight to behold. Naughts, Bruce, Wood, Young, Keath, English all took strong marks in our vicinity.
Williams was solid, Dale was exceptional.
Treloar and Dunkley were excellent.
Daniel and Vandermeer are concerning - wouldn't drop them, but they'd want to play well against the suns.
Great to see Young get a go and do well.
Scott and McNeil - hmmmm, both lucky I reckon.
English and Martin - what a great combination.

As for our oponents:
Robinson is a sniper. Can play a bit, but nothing between the ears.
J.Berry is as big a c0ckhead onfield as he was in secondary school. At least McCluggage balances out the ledger for their old school.
Zorko spends more time talking than playing.
Hipwood is useless when physical pressure is applied, but our defence let him hang out unattended too often.
Loved that every time Adams got a clearing possession when pressured by Naughts, Naughts tried to crunch him as hard as he could, but legally.
I don't mind the Bears so much, but they do have several unlikable twats.

Go Dogs.
Zorko is hands down the biggest flog ever. Has a serious case of little man syndrome.

After Robinson cleaned up Williams on the wing Duryea went up to him and gave him a massive spray. Robinson is like Toby Greene except Greene can actually lock a footy.

Contracted through 2022.

Thanks. Hopefully, English is driven by team success and not the extra $. He presents as a mature and level headed kid in media interviews.

I think the Dunkley scenario should have taught us (and the AFL) an important lesson that sometimes it’s best to retain players and make them play out their contract. If the player is in the right frame of mind, then it can still benefit the club to retain him even though he wanted to leave.

Each shot at goal is given a percentage chance based on distance, angle and pressure. For example a shot at goal from the top of the goal square has a 95% chance of being a goal based on historical data going back to 2002 so therefore it's given an expected score of 5.7 (95% of 6). Each shot is goal is put through this formula and that's the total expected score.

It's become a key metric for clubs of the past 5 years as it's a great indicator of how the team is performing regardless of accuracy.

A much clearer and detailed explanation by the brilliant Darren O’Shaughnessy can be viewed below...

Thanks OG, that makes sense. Cheers.

I was at the game yesterday, and a couple of observations:

So few kicks into the forward line in the second half were to our advantage, so many times, just bombing it in. Played into the hands of the brisbane defenders.

Brisbane played an extra defender in the 4th, and our mids and defenders kept bombing it in, playing into their hands.

Wood and keath were excellent down back marshalling the troops. Those calling for wood to be out underestimate his impact, particularly with crozier out.

Cannot believe beer was being sold in cans at the ground. Was my first time at Mars, and was very surprising.

Interesting that Adams didn't seem to have much chemistry with his lions team mates. Had more friendly contact with dogs players during and after the game.

Anyway, encourage all dogs fans to go to a Ballarat game at least once. Bloody cold, but a real lot of fun. Good venue, easy to get to and park right outside the ground, with good food in the city area. I'll go again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relax we have The Power

We should hire whoever the person at Geelong was that convinced all their stars to remain on less $.

Doesn’t their CEO basically own the city of Geelong? Probably pays the partners or family members of their stars $300k a year each with a title of “advisor” for a shell corporation

Feels like Naughton is on the verge of a bag a la Richmond 2019 or Adelaide last year. He's playing extremely well just hasn't quite finished off his good work.
Yep can feel a big one coming for sure, he basically ripped that game wide open in the 2nd quarter yesterday. Back under the roof against GC this week, I’m backing him in for a big bag. 6+

Yep can feel a big one coming for sure, he basically ripped that game wide open in the 2nd quarter yesterday. Back under the roof against GC this week, I’m backing him in for a big bag. 6+

Collins is a good interceptor but he's slow. And you just can't play a slow player on Naughton. And now teams are having to mix the defenders up with English and Bruce firing at different stages. Collins might go to English instead and try and use his big body. Who is going to match up on Naught and Bruce? Ballard and Lukosis. Good young players but they aren't KPPs.

Big bag coming for Naught. And a very long day for Suns KPD's next week.

The simple and logical answer to this dilemma is just enter a Footscray team in the Super Netball Comp. We’d have three immediate recruits and it assists in player retention strategies.

Seriously, though. GWS has a team. And who doesn’t want to enhance our rivalry with GWS across multiple codes? .... Ameet, let’s talk.
POTY

I was at the game yesterday, and a couple of observations:

So few kicks into the forward line in the second half were to our advantage, so many times, just bombing it in. Played into the hands of the brisbane defenders.

Brisbane played an extra defender in the 4th, and our mids and defenders kept bombing it in, playing into their hands.

Wood and keath were excellent down back marshalling the troops. Those calling for wood to be out underestimate his impact, particularly with crozier out.

Cannot believe beer was being sold in cans at the ground. Was my first time at Mars, and was very surprising.

Interesting that Adams didn't seem to have much chemistry with his lions team mates. Had more friendly contact with dogs players during and after the game.

Anyway, encourage all dogs fans to go to a Ballarat game at least once. Bloody cold, but a real lot of fun. Good venue, easy to get to and park right outside the ground, with good food in the city area. I'll go again.
The just bombing it in was frustrating to watch. So many opportunities were lost. I hope we don't do that every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back