Autopsy Lions get Naught in English Test - Rd 4, 2021

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ugly game to watch.

Glad Young played well. We need an intercepting defender so hopefully he can build off that game.

If you had told me we'd lose the clearances pre game I would have thought we'd be zero chance of winning but we seemed to stop them from getting too many inside 50's. Tackling was great.

Treloar is a gun. Love that he's fired in the games Bonti has been down. Genuine threat through the middle at all times now.

We really need to start kicking the easy ones. Missed too many set shots from gettable positions yesterday. Naughton killed it yesterday but really should have ended up with at least 4 goals.

Macrae B.O.G in my opinion. Glad he got a goal. I've been critical of his kicking in the past but he seems to have fixed that part of his game.

Odd game really. Our mids who don't tend to kick goals got on the board and our more attacking mids didn't really get a shot off. Lots to like with the 3 tall forwards. Just need to kick the goals.

All in all 4 zip is a cracking start against some decent opposition. Need to keep the momentum up.

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Zorko is hands down the biggest flog ever. Has a serious case of little man syndrome.

After Robinson cleaned up Williams on the wing Duryea went up to him and gave him a massive spray. Robinson is like Toby Greene except Greene can actually lock a footy.

Zorko played like an over the hill hack yesterday. Clearly threw the ball on a number of occasions, when handball in was a clear option. Was incredibly ill disciplined on a number of occasions, and that coming from the captain. An embarrassing performance and one I’d be furious with as a Lion supporter.

Back to us... really impressive showing from the dogs. Two of our prime movers in Bont and Daniel were sat on and clearly were down on output, but the rest lifted. Tackling and smothers were off the charts, a sign of complete buy in to the team first ethos. Great signs!! The entire midfield were brilliant. Still blows me away the can compliment each other in the one team.

Naughty and English were sublime, Bruce playing his role perfectly. We need to change up a small forward setup through. Jong? West? Caverra?

Young took his chances beautifully playing with confidence and style. Dale and Williams offered great run and Keith was solid as always.

Great win.

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Collins is a good interceptor but he's slow. And you just can't play a slow player on Naughton. And now teams are having to mix the defenders up with English and Bruce firing at different stages. Collins might go to English instead and try and use his big body. Who is going to match up on Naught and Bruce? Ballard and Lukosis. Good young players but they aren't KPPs.

Big bag coming for Naught. And a very long day for Suns KPD's next week.
For the first time in I don’t know (at least as long as I can remember, including as a penniless kid sneaking into the whiten oval from the now defunct Footscray Tennis Club, from which I was a member and had a key to the gate to retrieve tennis balls that went over the fence and into WO, which meant free entry!!) we have a dangerous forward line. Feels strange.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Impressive game from Young. His speed to chase small blokes surprised me.
He really benefited from the support of more experienced players like wood, Williams and keath as he was rarely isolated on a Brisbane tall unlike the time at docklands when one on one deep with Patton unable to use his intercepting skills.

Some more game time and hopefully he will take the shorter option, by hand or foot and not just go the long bomb.

In doG we Trust

Debutant
Aug 17, 2010
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Timmy's first 1/4 lit up the day, almost as exciting as Brooooosy's work last week. Then we held them at bay professionally for the rest of the day with nearly everyone trying and/or effective. Our kicking into the forward line still takes years off one's life but given the conditions and the solid result, it's not the week to complain. Watched the game with some of the faithful at Ashley Hotel Braybrook and all were pretty satisfied with beating a good Lions team, avoiding injuries & retaining top of ladder. Can recommend the Salmon & chips too!

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The young of old was pretty inconsistent. On a bad day, he was very bad. With Gardner, he plays the structures and is getting better every game. Apart from his first handful of games, he hasn’t had his pants pulled down after that. It will be a good problem to have if they are both capable and battling it out for the key back position.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The young of old was pretty inconsistent. On a bad day, he was very bad. With Gardner, he plays the structures and is getting better every game. Apart from his first handful of games, he hasn’t had his pants pulled down after that. It will be a good problem to have if they are both capable and battling it out for the key back position.
Great post. I’m a Young fan but it’s 1 game and Bevo likes what Gardner brings in terms of those 1 percenters. Personally I’d always back the positive style player in Young.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great post. I’m a Young fan but it’s 1 game and Bevo likes what Gardner brings in terms of those 1 percenters. Personally I’d always back the positive style player in Young.
Bevos usually pretty big on looking at a players positives over negatives and backing in a pretty attacking defence where possible, which is why I’ve been surprised to see him go with Gardner. But Young’s one player where I can see the positives in letting him work a bit harder to get into the side. He’s obviously got talent but I’m not sure he’s worked hard enough in the past and you could really see the development in his game shine through yesterday, I’ve got no problem in a player like that hiding his time at VFL. Can also see the argument that maybe Bevos been happier to see Gardener cop the pressure at AFL level a bit and shield Young in the twos til he’s ready.

We really threw Young to the wolves too early in the past. He was our number one KPD last time he played in a pretty weak defence/team. Much more confident in easing him in now alongside Keath and an elite bunch of mediums for support

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah personally I'd have McNeil as the sub. Give Vandermeer and Scott a spell, Daniel probably lucky to stay in.
Could be wrong just dont think Bevo will drop Vandermeer. His run down pace has the opposition concerned, and in part contributes to them not taking on the game as hard or as often as they might otherwise.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo makes me so nervous.

It’s taken him 7 years to realise having a genuine ruckman is good for an elite midfield

We unearth a star in Young who wouldn’t have been given a chance if gardner didn’t get injured

He continues to play two kids who Just aren’t up to it while cavarra and west can’t get a look in

So true, we all love him for the 2016 success but wowee He can frustrate us, and Dan’s yelling out for it and doesn’t happen until years later and what do you know!It makes the team better. Crozier to the forward line in elimination final against St Kilda last year has me ripping my hair out. Most important game for the year and he tries to be cute and tactical. The same with his ruck prodigy and Gowers, Honeychurch, R.Smith projects. He needs to drop McNeil and Scott to give some other boys a chance. And not a 1 game chance. Give them 4 like he did with those 2.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Could be wrong just dont think Bevo will drop Vandermeer. His run down pace has the opposition concerned, and in part contributes to them not taking on the game as hard or as often as they might otherwise.
Whilst I agree. He'll want to improve on yesterday.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've been known to question some of Bevo's tactics but I just think this "Bevo doesn't rate rucks" idea is incorrect.

We have been trying to get another ruckman for the last few years. It seems to me he played English solo last year because he had nobody he thought could do any better - and he felt he would be better off with another mid-sized player rather than a non-performing slow big man.

I'm pretty sure we had two rucks in 2016 as well.
You’re wrong mate. I know for a fact that some of our recruiting team wanted Paddy Ryder when he was available but Bevo wasn’t keen. We missed an opportunity there and think Bevo has been a fan of Martin for years so that helped him get to us.

Back