bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
As you can see our 4th quarters need a lot of work.

View attachment 1099074
I think we can win the 4th quarter if we need to. We did so on Thursday when we were behind at 3/4 time. Luckily both teams were fatigued. The first three teams we played are strong 4th quarter sides and, if we're honest, we'd pretty much put the cue in the rack to some extent holding 41, 51 & 51 point leads respectively at 3/4 time. I prefer us to be well ahead at 3/4 time and not needing to win the 4th quarter to win the game. Keep our huge 4th quarter efforts for the finals.

EDIT : I just saw Caesar had covered this with a similar comment. I give way.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
One of several bad decisions in attack from Blakey. I still think he will acquire some composure and when he does, he’ll be awesome.
I have to agree with this. I'm not really a Blakey fan but I have to admit he has incredible skills. I'm pretty confident that sooner or later everything will gel for Nick and we'll all be gobsmacked with awe.

Look at the number of knockers Florent picked up before he gained in confidence and showed his doubters just how damn good he is. Selectors/coaches see the potential that a kid could be a great player, then try to nurture all that talent to the fore. Talent can't be taught but it still needs the right conditions to reach its full potential. Sometimes it takes a little while longer than we impatient fans might like but to trade such a talent as Blakey would be doing the Swans' future an injustice.

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
During the second quarter (I think) Gulden won the footy, I think it may have been in the centre which led to a goal. In the background at the stadium it blared “ohhh Errol, I’d give anything just to be like him”.

I burst out laughing at the awesomeness of that moment lol

Did anyone else notice?
Errol Flynn was actually a bit of a grub. Liked them very young

During the second quarter (I think) Gulden won the footy, I think it may have been in the centre which led to a goal. In the background at the stadium it blared “ohhh Errol, I’d give anything just to be like him”.

I burst out laughing at the awesomeness of that moment lol

Did anyone else notice?
Yes it was goal music after his goal.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
On the ABC radio post match Nick Davis and ROK said that the forward line structure looked a lot better when Bell came on. They said that he should keep his place in the team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because Heeney plays tall & so does Buddy so basically we had too many talls & one less "runner" going hard two ways. It's no coincidence that we got back to something resembling what we wanted went Heeney went off.

I'll be interested to see selection this week. Heeny not there so it will be Rowbottom for Heeney IMO.
I think we dodged a bullet actually. Heeney going off was a blessing in disguise for that particular game, dare I say it.

Because Heeney plays tall & so does Buddy so basically we had too many talls & one less "runner" going hard two ways. It's no coincidence that we got back to something resembling what we wanted went Heeney went off.

I'll be interested to see selection this week. Heeny not there so it will be Rowbottom for Heeney IMO.
I think we dodged a bullet actually. Heeney going off was a blessing in disguise for that particular game, dare I say it.

I don't really think you can make that call when the only reason it was so close was the missed shots.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I don't really think you can make that call when the only reason it was so close was the missed shots.
Actually I have made that call. Heeney played 30 minutes game time & not long after he went off we were more mobile & our scoring increased. Call it coincidence if you like but Bell provided that extra pressure we needed so I am happy to stick to it.
I think we had about 20 shots to 10 after Heeney went off. Yes we missed plenty & should have won by 5 goals.

Actually I have made that call. Heeney played 30 minutes game time & not long after he went off we were more mobile & our scoring increased. Call it coincidence if you like but Bell provided that extra pressure we needed so I am happy to stick to it.
I think we had about 20 shots to 10 after Heeney went off. Yes we missed plenty & should have won by 5 goals.

Ok well I think that call is wrong.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

If Heeney played a quarter, and we had a third of our scoring shots in that quarter, that suggests our scoring rate decreased after he went off.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
If Heeney played a quarter, and we had a third of our scoring shots in that quarter, that suggests our scoring rate decreased after he went off.
I may be mistaken but Heeney kicked a point just before he went off which was about 6 minutes into the second Q. That had us at 2.6 to 7.1 not long after.
I'll have a look at the replay again later on I'm sure.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I may be mistaken but Heeney kicked a point just before he went off which was about 6 minutes into the second Q. That had us at 2.6 to 7.1 not long after.
I'll have a look at the replay again later on I'm sure.
Hi Tedeski, bower bird selection, just the blue 'goals' but we had more or equal scoring 'opportunities' 8 from 28 with Heeney on the field. How many goals did Bell kick 0 (Heeney 1), how many scoring involvements for Bell 1, (Heeney 3). Must had done a lot of running for very little impact with 4, (Heeney 9)

Heeney>Bell.

If we want a runner get Clarke as he can run more then Bell or Stephens who can ran more then Bell and more footy nous.

I hope its not a real argument point.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
First people are saying Clarke in for McInerney, and now Bell is better than Heeney from a team performance point of view.

Boy oh boy. And I thought 2020 was wild.

mcinerney plays ahead of clarke ... clarke is part of our recent battling past, he's a depth player at best now, mcinerney is part of the 'tomorrow's stars today' brigade that should play whenever they're available ... and similarly, bell goes ok, better than he gets credit for on here, but i'd play heeney at ruck if it was a matter of getting him in the side before having to consider bell ... heeney is our superstar, our dangerfield, our martin, our fyfe ... freak talent, matchwinner, genuine elite player ... if our best were all available, say, on grand final day, bell and clarke would not be in the 25 ...

Arrr

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Why is Reid expected to be 100% perfect ? No player is. Buddy dropped an easy chest mark and missed a goal too. All players do but somehow even in an arguably BOG performance some folks still want to pick fault with him. Reid does his role and does it well. That's why he's been a walk up start for the past 10 years.

The myth of Reid being a poor shot for goal is just that, a myth. Over his entire career Reid has kicked for goal at almost 60%, just behind McCartin (62%) and Heeney (61%) but ahead of both Papley (58%) and Buddy (57%). Reid's pretty much "good to very good" for a forward. For comparison, Tony Lockett was one of the most accurate ever and kicked at 69% over his career. Being just 10% behind Plugger's goal kicking average is a long way from "missing his set shots half the time".

Reid's real value is he's not a stay at home forward. He's more utility cum ruck/forward in the vein of LRT than a true key forward. He covers a lot of ground, playing everywhere he's needed as our Mr Fixit, and while he may drop the odd mark, like anyone else, he takes the ones that count. He remains our No.1 contested mark and our goto get-out target from defence. He also racks up our highest number of 1%ers.

This year close to 2 of every 3 of Reid's shots sailed between the big sticks. Not bad at all and, among those who have had a ping, he's ahead of Heeney, Warner, Papley, Florent, Gulden, Blakey, Dawson, Kennedy & Campbell.

For 2021 so far, McInerney is our most accurate kick for goal. A genuine dead eyed dick, as he showed on Thursday night.

100% McInerney 3 - 0
100% McLean 1 - 0
80% Hickey 4 - 1
75% Mills 3 - 1
67% Franklin 6-3
67% Wicks 6 - 3
63% Logan 7 - 4
62.5% Reid 5 -3
62.5 % Parker 5 - 3
57% Heeney 8 - 6
57% Warner 4 - 3
52% Papley 7 - 6
50% Florent 1 - 1
40% Gulden 4 - 6
25% Blakey 1 - 3
0% Dawson 0 - 2
0% Kennedy 0 - 2
0% Campbell 0 - 1

We've got a good spread of (potential) goal kickers
I don't expect him to be 100% I was merely commenting on that for some reason or another his mistakes seem to be more noticeable for me when I watch the swans matches. Not sure if it's because he seems to miss a disproportionate number of "easier" set shots or drop chest marks when he takes hangers. It probably also has something to do with his workrate that he gets back to help out the defenders whenever possible and as such when he drops an easier mark it becomes much more dangerous than dropping one in the forward 50. I have never been one to constantly ride him for poor output or anything, I was just saying what I personally saw and took away from it.

I also went on to praise the other traits to his game that are underrated and overlooked because they don't appear in the stat-lines. He's clearly not a key forward that is going to kick bags every other week but that's OK because he forces the opposition to put a big body on him because of his link-up play and marking ability. He is a great second tall forward who really helps our forward line structure.

I find that stats have their place and are a great start for a discussion on things like this and yet they can also be misleading. If you are comparing set shot percentage that is fair enough but comparing a Papley to a Reid is a little strange. Papley would be much more likely to be making a shot on the run and in congestion under pressure as such it would lower his percentage. Reid by comparison is much more likely to be taking a set shot at goal which means he can go back and use a practiced kicking technique and routine making his shots a higher percentage.

The comparison to Buddy is very interesting though, very surprised to see him with a lower career percentage.

That last line there makes me the happiest though. How good is it to see the forwards sharing the load around so much. I feel like that is a big reason why our year has started so well. If we had just played the kick it to buddy game from a couple of years ago we become so much easier to shut down. Throw in the start to this year and it's a nightmare matchup for anyone. You can't afford to have a weak link anywhere, not to mention that the entire team has been playing so unselfishly that you need to stay right on top of your player even off the ball or they create a better look at goal.

I think that it's been said a few times but how good is it to see Hickey push forward and make a mismatch for the opponents. This was really something that I feel like Sinkers has in him too. They just work so hard around the ground to make a better option for the team. Not to mention tiring out the opposition ruck trying to keep up with them.

Looking forward to seeing what happens going forward, Heeney will be a massive out so hopefully someone like Hayward can come in and really prove himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back