Best vs Port Adelaide

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The VFL match report off the club’s website

VFL Tigers tough it out in loss to Werribee
Richmond ended its practice match series with a 15-point defeat at the hands of Werribee.
By Brenton Mann, Richmond Media - 18 hrs ago
VFL0904.jpg

Rioli gathers the ball at half-forward, darts in and out of traffic and handballs off to Rioli as Richmond thrusts the ball inside 50.
You could get used to having that ring in the ears as the years tick by, Tiger Army.
It was a case of keeping up with the Riolis at Chrinside Park on Friday night as Richmond was hosted by Werribee in the final practice match of 2021.
Daniel and Maurice were the headline act as Richmond sought to topple Werribee on its home deck, but unfortunately for the Tigers of the Richmond-variety, the home side got the better of them by 15 points.
Werribee had the edge in polish but the Tigers more than matched the more seasoned hosts with their toughness and pressure, with the final scoreboard reading 8.14 (62) to 6.11 (47).

xnE2ySFf.jpg

VFL: Practice match v Werribee
Highlights of the VFL practice match against Werribee.
Richmond has shown it’s made of true grit, and with a little more polish in attack could have walked away with the victory.
It’s hard enough escaping a tackle from one Rioli, let alone two, as Daniel and Maurice enjoyed each other’s company whilst they hunted anyone in a yellow jumper with a black W.
The pair wrapped up a Werribee defender in a Rioli sandwich, drawing the opening free kick of the game.
Daniel, following his omission from AFL level, looked a cut above from the opening bounce, showcasing his poise, speed and skill through the midfield.
The senior Rioli started at the centre bounce and was involved in the opening passage, helping clear the ball and getting it going the Tigers’ way.
Maurice picked up from where he left off last week, splitting his time between forward and midfield and looks to be growing in confidence with the greater minutes he plays.
The younger Rioli’s strength as a midfielder is his clean hands and timing at stoppages, as he flashes through congestion, gathering the ball with one touch and bursting clear.
Riolis.jpg

Another player who didn’t make the trip to Adelaide Oval this week was Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, as the dashing defender applied his lessons learnt from last week’s loss to Sydney against Werribee.
Eggmolesse-Smith controlled the defensive-half, chiming in with perfect timing to either spoil or intercept mark, transforming defence into attack in a heartbeat with his sure hands and raking left-boot.
The rebounding half-back was the best Tiger across the four quarters, as he worked himself to the bone to ignite and inspire his side.
Werribee kicked the opening goal of the night before Richmond’s twin towers in Callum Coleman-Jones and Samson Ryan hit the scoreboard.
Coleman-Jones kicked the Tigers' first goal of the night after drawing a free kick in a marking contest, with Ryan following suit soon after.
The pair teamed well in attack.
Even though they have played minimal games together, they seem to have developed a solid understanding of where each needs to be positioned to create the required separation to create one-on-one chances inside 50.
Richmond led by a goal before Werribee hit back late in the first quarter with back-to-back goals and took an eight-point lead into the first change.
The game tightened up further in the second term, with both sides’ defensive structures hard to penetrate and ball movement was stifled.
The ball was thrust from contest-to-contest as the game was played in the clinches rather than through slick transition.
Both sides kicked a goal apiece, as Werribee led by just four points at the main break.
Werribee kicked the first goal after half-time and began finding targets inside 50, as it kicked another shortly after.
The Tigers’ pressure and intensity around the ball couldn’t be questioned, but they were let down by their ability to control and maintain the ball when in transition.
That changed as Richmond kicked its fourth goal via the sure right boot of Coleman-Jones.
It was just reward for the Tigers’ best passage of ball movement up until that point, as they won the ball back in their defensive 50, pierced it down the outer wing, with Riley Collier-Dawkins driving the ball long and deep to Coleman-Jones at the top of the goal square.
The big man converted for his second goal of the evening.
Werribee hit back again, extending the margin to 20 points, and eventually led by 18 points as the three-quarter time siren sounded.
After eight minutes of the ball living between the arcs, Richmond broke the deadlock and kicked the first goal of the final term.
The Tigers scrubbed through another goal in quick succession as they were able to lock the ball in their front-half and put Werribee under some serious heat for a prolonged period.
The margin was back to a goal as Richmond continued to surge.
However, it failed to capitalise fully on its field position as Werribee sealed its win with the final goal of the game.
Richmond would take comfort in the fact that it stuck to its task from siren-to-siren as the Tigers never dropped their head or looked out of the contest.
They end their practice match series 3–2 and displayed the traits that will carry this young group through the upcoming VFL season.
The Tigers kick-off their campaign at lunchtime on Friday, April 16 against Sandringham at the Swinburne Centre.
WERRIBEE: 3.3 4.4 7.8 8.14 (62)
RICHMOND: 2.1 3.6 4.8 6.11 (47)
Wish whoever writes these didn’t try and make it into an epic

Just give us the rundown and at least include a short list of best players and goal kickers

Yeah that's fine no problem's with that .
But why not try Rioli in at a few centre bounces in the seniors when he isn't getting a touch .Small forward can be a hard position to get into the game at times .It has worked for Bolton early in his career.
Sometimes they just want them to get their hands on the footy.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol , what ? Dont you think Vic umpires do Vic games ? Plus WA umpires have been winning games for West Coast for 30 years. The umpires are supposed to be impartial, so it shouldn't matter where they come from. It's niave to think a Qld umpire cant officiate a Lion's or Suns game for example. By banning them from umpiring matches where they reside would basically be saying they'd cheat if they did.
I disagree. They aren’t machines. Deboy grew up supporting port Adelaide and it’s naive to think that subconsciously biased. The evidence supports this more than what you’ve said. Why do you think west coast are far away ahead of other teams for frees for in recent times?

Nothing personal in singling you out, fargo, as lots of people are saying this (you're just the most recent), but which tall forward (or defender, or Nank) do people want dropped for him to come in?

The Saints completely outran the Eagles yesterday in the 2nd half and toweled up the same midfield that completely took Port apart the game before courtesy of Naitanui's ruck work.

If we don't drop a tall for CCJ to come in, we go in a runner (arguably two) short against a side who just absolutely smashed the Eagles in clearances - despite Naitanui dominating - on their home deck, a ground which is always dangerous for us.

To me, the only way you can afford to play two rucks and therefore 3-talls at both ends is if you're confident you have the midfield firepower and full ground run to dominate the other side. I think it's impossible to argue we're in that situation against the Saints.
I'd go back to the structure we had for most of last year and play 7 defenders instead of 8. Play Coleman-Jones off the bench as a ruck/third tall forward instead of an 8th defender playing off the bench.

This means Balta and Astbury stay down back the whole game and CJ takes Mansell's spot in the side.

It's actually the same amount of talls as the Saints had against the Eagles (a main ruck and three at each end).

gonna wear back2back hoodie out tonight to remind all the salty oppos who is king
I did that yesterday to the local footy.
Just needed to point to the back to back if anyone tried to razz me up

Watched replay of 4Q , make no mistake we played well 3G 4 it was finals like intensity, an ounce of luck on calls and we could have won. , they got the breaks and we didn’t , bloody aliir pushes the boundary , I reckon there’ll be days he could easily have given away several frees , got away with plenty
I’d def keep Mansell in , had a few qty touches in that stanza , Aarts disappointed , twice he had possession and we turned it over final Q
I tell ya if the propaganda from vfl is even half right I reckon mrj might get a run before we know it

I'd go back to the structure we had for most of last year and play 7 defenders instead of 8. Play Coleman-Jones off the bench as a ruck/third tall forward instead of an 8th defender playing off the bench.

This means Balta and Astbury stay down back the whole game and CJ takes Mansell's spot in the side.

It's actually the same amount of talls as the Saints had against the Eagles (a main ruck and three at each end).
Martyn’s, leave Mansell in, looked ok and if he can come ON will be bloody handy as there’s some big assignments for minding small forwards

I disagree. They aren’t machines. Deboy grew up supporting port Adelaide and it’s naive to think that subconsciously biased. The evidence supports this more than what you’ve said. Why do you think west coast are far away ahead of other teams for frees for in recent times?
Has that myth got legs with PA connection or just piss talk

I'd argue that only Soldo giving us enough first use and halved contests in the middle allowed us to play that structure. Perhaps Nank can do the same against Marshall, but it's a risk.

The Saints' current structure is working because Carlisle is following the 3rd tall/relieving ruck (Allen in this case) into centre bounces and performing well enough in each role.

I think we'd be exposed for run if we take in CCJ (especially if we cop the wrong injury), but there are arguments for each approach and it'll be interesting to see which way the match committee goes. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish whoever writes these didn’t try and make it into an epic

Just give us the rundown and at least include a short list of best players and goal kickers
I want them to go back to the format of a short write-up on each AFL listed player. Not sure we have the resources for that any more sadly.

So you're saying AFL umpires are cheats ? Out and out cheats ?

So no Victorian umpire can ever umpire in Victoria again ? Because that's what the South Australians will demand if you ban a SA umpire from doing SA games.

Get a grip. The game was played last Friday. It's done. Move on.

Has that myth got legs with PA connection or just piss talk
Jerks screwing around with his wiki page. Even so, nobody is going to ban certain umpires from certain games. It would screw the entire integrity of the competition. Mark Fraser used to PLAY for Collingwood ffs. What, ban him from Collingwood games ? It's just people who can't accept we had several shots at goal in the last qtr to ice the game and we missed them.

absolutely, and there`s our problem. Need more presence roving from our smalls if we are going long that way but first create some space and let forwards lead and mark in front instead of constant manic contests were the ball can be rebounded quickly

I felt it was a joke of a non decision, I do know if it was a Richmond defender doing the same I would undoubtedly see the immense pressure that he was under. I am sure if that had gone out of bounds it would be called deliberate so the rule is a joke in itself I feel. It`s like when there is a short time to go, boundary throw in forward pocket, defending ruck belts straight back over line, what's the intent? The AFL needs to stop making all of these unnecessary changes or at least make the rule clear so as to remove the 50/50 interpretation from so many decisions. Hurst to say as a Tiger but lets just make it Black & White!
has the afl come out and said if that decision was right or not???

Watched replay of 4Q , make no mistake we played well 3G 4 it was finals like intensity, an ounce of luck on calls and we could have won. , they got the breaks and we didn’t , bloody aliir pushes the boundary , I reckon there’ll be days he could easily have given away several frees , got away with plenty
I’d def keep Mansell in , had a few qty touches in that stanza , Aarts disappointed , twice he had possession and we turned it over final Q
I tell ya if the propaganda from vfl is even half right I reckon mrj might get a run before we know it
Rance pushed the boundary too. It’s what makes great defenders. They don’t go over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back