Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing Brodie does not drop . is his demanded, overinflated weekly pay of $45 thousand dollars per week $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't tell me Grundy isn't injured or going through personal issues.

I just got back from the game and they were resting him constantly to keep up with a guy who came out of f'ing retirement 2 years ago.

Correct.
What people don't see watching on the tv is how incredibly unfit (or injured) he is.
I watched him closely behind the play last night. He could not physically keep up with Mumford - Mumford of all people!

There were times Mumford started 20 meters behind him and was able to run past him and push forward. Grundy could not keep up.

A few years ago his main attribute was his athleticism and he could ruck all day on his own and play as a ruck-rover. Now he looks slow, exhausted and lumbering yet they are giving him much more bench time.

Considering he has never been a good tap ruckman, never been a great contested mark, can't play forward .. if he loses his athleticism he is essentially very ordinary.

I really worry this could end up one of the worst contractual decisions in the clubs history.
It's very concerning.

DROP HIM

Really over Grundy

Wish we had of traded

A tom hickey type will do

i bet next year if we get a new coach he will do better

They changed the rules a couple of years ago where ruckmen didn't get pinged for holding the ball if they grabbed it out of the ruck, yet we haven't tried to exploit it at all - despite having the ruckman most likely to be able to grab it out of the ruck. That to me sums up our coaching group. Under the current rules, Grundy can grab it out of the ruck have a wingman run into space for the handball and if that isn't on he can hold on to it in the tackle and it's a new ball up.

But it seems we're completely reliant on past data to inform our decisions and I daresay the past data when ruckman had to just get rid of the footy meant that grabbing it out of the ruck and hacking it forward didn't have good outcomes.

They changed the rules a couple of years ago where ruckmen didn't get pinged for holding the ball if they grabbed it out of the ruck, yet we haven't tried to exploit it at all - despite having the ruckman most likely to be able to grab it out of the ruck. That to me sums up our coaching group. Under the current rules, Grundy can grab it out of the ruck have a wingman run into space for the handball and if that isn't on he can hold on to it in the tackle and it's a new ball up.

But it seems we're completely reliant on past data to inform our decisions and I daresay the past data when ruckman had to just get rid of the footy meant that grabbing it out of the ruck and hacking it forward didn't have good outcomes.
A rule change that actually favoured us for once yet even then we don’t use it.

His tapwork and his connection with the other midfielders is sh*t.

He has to go back to grabbing the ball out of the ruck, punching the ball in our direction Keating-style, or just nullifying the contest and then beating his opponent with his superior mobility.

One of the things that really frustrates me about Buckley is that he seems to try to shoehorn players into his system. Yes, players can be coached, and developed to do more of what you want from them... but ultimately you need to put your talent in a position to succeed.

We’re trying to tell Grundy to tap the ball, we’re playing Mayne on a wing instead of Daicos, we have Callum Brown leading for the ball 45m out, and giving Quaynor the job on Greene instead of Maynard. It’s old-school coaching and it’s not getting the most out of our players’ best attributes. So many of our players lack any hurt factor, and it’s because they’re system fits rather than weapons being deployed.

Maybe it's more our Midfield being s**t then Grundy being a Ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offense Dave, but Tim English AND a 50year old retired ruckman in Mumford beat Grundy...it's more than midfield issues....

So I guess after he got Paid he did not Care as much then

They had someone from the Dogs talking about the Bont on 774 yesterday. They said they wouldn't be offering him a seven year deal because of the increased scrutiny that players get put under when they sign those type of contracts. Guess they've taken into account what happened to Boyd and now Grundy.

They had someone from the Dogs talking about the Bont on 774 yesterday. They said they wouldn't be offering him a seven year deal because of the increased scrutiny that players get put under when they sign those type of contracts. Guess they've taken into account what happened to Boyd and now Grundy.

Grundy lost more Mentally Stronger then Boyd

Don't tell me Grundy isn't injured or going through personal issues.

I just got back from the game and they were resting him constantly to keep up with a guy who came out of f'ing retirement 2 years ago.
Maybe he was benched because he was very very average? Just like against WC last year when he sat on the pine for long periods while Cameron & Cox got us back in the game.

Grundy isn't holding marks, he isn't getting back off the man on the mark, he isn't kicking goals and he's constantly laboring around.

I don't think I've ever seen a player drop to his knees as much as Grundy. A couple of times last night he contested the ball up only to drop to his knees for the second attempt at a loose ball only to throw himself to his knees for a third time in desperation while Mummy stayed up and run past him like Usain Bolt. It was embarrassing to watch.

I'm starting to think it's not the midfield but Grundy himself isn't smart enough or good enough to change.

So I guess Club has no other Choice but to Trade him at Years End Then

On his current output, Grundy is a $500-600k player. If we tried to trade him (which we won’t) no club would be willing to take on the size of his contract unless we were prepared to pay say $400k per year.

So we have really made Grundy untouchable when it comes to trading and he knows it - and is playing like he knows it.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

A recent quote from Grundy.

“It just feels like a lot of the messaging was ‘your career is only successful if you win a premiership’.

“It has never made sense to me. How can you go through 15 years of your life playing at the highest level but not see it as a success?

“Being able to have that perspective and balance away from football and to love what you do in finding happiness in the journey. That’s more important than the destination.”

Hmm! Very new age. For me this puts a different perspective on my view on AFL coaches in terms of having to man manage/navigate this mindset. It's clearly a tougher gig than I first thought. The above comments are all well and good in today's PC environment however in competitive professional cut throat sport? Further, in my humble opinion, this mindset gives the players a psychological out. Bad luck well played you came up short but there's always next time.

So is this the collective mindset of today's young sportsmen? What are they teaching them at schools nowadays?

Nick Maxwell declared the aim is to win the flag before 2010 season. Whole team had the mindless pursuit flag or fail.

Josh Fraser back i think in 2007 also made mention that it wasn't spoken of enough or at all as if taboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back