mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Does MM win a flag without agreeing to the succession plan ?
No - because otherwise,he would have been sacked, given the huge push for a Coaching change at the time.
The succession plan saved his job.
Well then the easy solution is just don’t sack him

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
No - because otherwise,he would have been sacked, given the huge push for a Coaching change at the time.

Do you think Buckley should've given him another year as head coach given his extraordinary success in 2010/2011?

Do you think Bucks was the one who should have succeeded. It was a dumb old fashioned appointment that seemed to view the ability to drill a 60 metre pinpoint pass as a relevant coaching skill.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you think Bucks was the one who should have succeeded. It was a dumb old fashioned appointment that seemed to view the ability to drill a 60 metre pinpoint pass as a relevant coaching skill.

Definitely - with MM as Director of Coaching to assist him, I have no doubt Bucks was the right choice.
And no one was questioning the fact when it happened.

Hazz

Premium Platinum
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grundy is no squib,he is out there playing one of the most physically demanding sports there is,where as you are sitting behind a keyboard spanking the monkey.
I know which one out of the 2 takes courage and it’s not you

Do you think that was a million dollar per season game?

I’m aware of how tough the game is, but Grundy was defeated as soon as Mumford was named. Grundy showed no want to get on top of Mummy until the unfit 34 year old was out of gas.

No need to quote stats for Grundy either, everyone at the ground could see he got a bath when it counted, and those 42 “hit outs” were largely trash.

There were plenty of other poor performers last night but few of those have barreled the club for $ like Grundy.

Anyhow, thanks for telling me why I should not be unhappy with Grundys effort as well, insightful post.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Definitely - with MM as Director of Coaching to assist him, I have no doubt Bucks was the right choice.

Using hindsight, was it the right call for Mick to move on when he did?

In your opinion please.

I was questioning him as head coach. I've always thought that he's the wrong personality type - too much of a military drill sargeant type and not enough of a creative thinker, in addition to not being someone who ever came across as being socially natural.

However, I do think the opportunity was there for it to work. When we were flying, I always thought that they were going to change the coaching structure to being more like Premier league soccer, with the Director of Coaching actually being a director of coaching - more like a Premier league manager rather than whatever the tokenistic role was going to be when Eddie finally decided on it and presented it to MM.

Hazz

Premium Platinum
Apr 9, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
We are the slowest and most stubborn club.

It is like our coaches have zero foresight.....they almost assess the rule changes and game style as the season progresses and then may finally change......but by then the season is over. In the meantime we persist with this defence first mantra nonsense.

There needs to be a message at board level saying Nathan, we want our club to play an attractive brand of football that our fans want to watch. They want to see goals.

Graham Wright will move Grundy and that bullshit contract on at year end.

Nothing wrong of course with assessing as the season progresses, but it’s galling to see other teams adapt so quickly! The swans have gone from being more defensive than us to the best attack in the league (some of their kids look to be amazing), crows are looking pretty good considering their list, dons, crows, Saints have all looked pretty good for large parts of their games despite having mixed results.

Hope you are right about Wright starting to exert some influence around the place, hope is is as good as the rumors suggest.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Why do you have no doubt he was the right choice? Because he was a great player?

yes - and apparently he made that offer.
But the Board wouldn’t agree.

Where did you hear that from?

yes - and apparently he made that offer.
But the Board wouldn’t agree.

Ii is also important to remember that the despite what it seems like, the succession plan was put into place to ensure the longterm welfare of MM health wise. Of course MM will disagree but who wants to admit that things are too hard for them? Who is looking after Bucks' welfare now that Ed is gone? The guy has been crucified over the past twelve months and has had his family broken up. Personally there is no job or sporting achievement worth that to me.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Had to get my mind off of the game and that re.. so I engaged in a bit of retail therapy and purchased a pair of black side buckle Karl Lagerfeld leather boots.. and have booked dinner at the Vue De Monde tonight. Feel a lil bit better now.

Guys.. if you're not feeling good about the game.. get out there and do the same. Go out and buy a new pair of 2 striped tracky dacks from Kmart.. or a fresh pair of black socks.. go out and eat at Macas or whatever re. Doesn't have to be niche. That s**t is only reserved for me.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Last edited:

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Tankwood, Collingtank? Choose one.

Collingdumb if either one of those is the case because we don't have our 1st round draft pick this year.

GWS, Hawthorn and Brisbane are all doing a ******* happy dance right about now as they're likely looking at a pick in the first 6-7 selections in the 1st, 2nd and 4th rounds respectively.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why do you have no doubt he was the right choice? Because he was a great player?

Where did you hear that from?

Has been said here in the past and I also got it from a very reliable source.

During the MM wars here - I was keen for MM to be retained as I didn’t think Bucks had the experience. That’s why I felt the succession plan was a brilliant compromise by Ed.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
We've got to replace Roughead as well.. that FB position should only be reserved for blokes in beast mode.. the guy gives me the impression that if someone bumps him a bit and that sort of a thing.. he'd sledge em by saying.. 'heyyyyy.. don't push me.. push a push pop'.

Enough is enough.

The worst thing about this is WHE playing like a competent footballer in the second half will probably keep him in the side for the next six weeks.

I’ll give the kudos where it’s warranted, and I hope he can turn the corner but * me the sporadic at best performances on his part do my ******* head in

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has been said here in the past and I also got it from a very reliable source.

During the MM wars here - I was keen for MM to be retained as I didn’t think Bucks had the experience. That’s why I felt the succession plan was a brilliant compromise by Ed.

You didn't answer either question, you just dodged them.

Why did you have no doubt that Buckley was the right man to be our senior coach?

Who was your mysterious reliable source? Why do you care about hiding an identity from 11 years ago over something that doesn't matter?

Well then the easy solution is just don’t sack him
We started 2009 with a 3-5 record and a number of disappointing losses against sides that we were clearly better than. The consensus at the time was that he was very lucky to even retain his job.

The club came home with a wet sail before falling down against three classy units in the final month, which is a testament to both our squad and MM’a coaching ability, but it was hardly like we were flying when the decision was made

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
We started 2009 with a 3-5 record and a number of disappointing losses against sides that we were clearly better than. The consensus at the time was that he was very lucky to even retain his job.

The club came home with a wet sail before falling down against three classy units in the final month, which is a testament to both our squad and MM’a coaching ability, but it was hardly like we were flying when the decision was made
We weren’t flying but we were hardly struggling. We were a team that made 4 years in a row and building.

Back