Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. I am going to put 20 on the lions to win the flag after tonight

A top team will knock them off - good umpiring or otherwise - if they're that reliant on the umpiring.

The problem is we're not a good team, yet. Therefore every mistake by the umpires is a dagger.

Anyone who thinks the terrible umpiring in the 2nd which directly gave them 3 goals. Combined with the generally terrible umpiring throughout the night that gave them one more direct goal and cost us forward thrusts on multiple occasions. Anyone who thinks that didn't affect the game is having a laugh. Yes we were poor in the 2nd quarter. But it was those goals gifted to them by the umpires that was the difference at the end of the day. No doubt about it. End of story.

Just the cheekiest of bumps...

The last two weeks have seen the return of home umpiring in the most colossal of ways. Freo have every right to feel a bit aggrieved for how they were umpired against us; Richmond have had to deal with a -12+ free kick differential over the last two weeks, in Sydney and Adelaide; Essendon got beat in a close one in Sydney whilst suffering a -13 differential.

Last night, there was a patch during the second term that we could not touch a GC player without conceding a free kick.

I think the return of large (or, at least larger) crowds is having a bit of an impact, personally. The best the comp was umpired in years was during the lockout rounds last year.

The last two weeks have seen the return of home umpiring in the most colossal of ways. Freo have every right to feel a bit aggrieved for how they were umpired against us; Richmond have had to deal with a -12+ free kick differential over the last two weeks, in Sydney and Adelaide; Essendon got beat in a close one in Sydney whilst suffering a -13 differential.

Last night, there was a patch during the second term that we could not touch a GC player without conceding a free kick.

I think the return of large (or, at least larger) crowds is having a bit of an impact, personally. The best the comp was umpired in years was during the lockout rounds last year.
It was abysmal last night, the Casboult free against was a shocker! Blew the whistle before he even touched him and then Samo gets hacked in the face and play on.
The Syd vs * was the worst of the lot, especially in the last quarter. Just pay the obvious frees and let go of anything else. There’s 4-5 umps on the field to look at almost every angle yet they go missing when it’s obviously there.

I reckon there were more blues fans there last night than gcs fans

We could certainly hear them in the coverage!

What I want is for the AFL to undergo a long term study into the crowd effects on umpiring.

Yep, and an analysis that takes in to account out of bounds on the full. And free kicks paid in f50 as opposed to around the ground.

Yep, and an analysis that takes in to account out of bounds on the full. And free kicks paid in f50 as opposed to around the ground.
And I'd like a breakdown on what frees are paid to or against defenders, and vice versa for forwards.

Essentially, a long term broad scope study into umpiring, so when people criticize them it can be known objectivley if it's warranted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could certainly hear them in the coverage!

What I want is for the AFL to undergo a long term study into the crowd effects on umpiring.

Give me thte data poitns and I will do it for fun :thumbsu:

Team
Home or Away
Free Count total | by quarter | by field position | by umpire | by type of free given
and if you want more granular
score at time of free
time of free
and (finally)
ladder position of teams before each game

There was an article on this in the football record back in the late 70's or early eighties. Collingwood got more frees and gave away less over the course of time by a fair amount. Didnt help them at all with the colliwobbles.

And I'd like a breakdown on what frees are paid to or against defenders, and vice versa for forwards.

Essentially, a long term broad scope study into umpiring, so when people criticize them it can be known objectivley if it's warranted.

West Coast noise of affirmation gets them a run like no other team in the AFL but try talking to their one eyed chardonnay sipping cretin fans they think they're hard done by umpiring the most entitled group of w***ers you can ever meet.

West Coast noise of affirmation gets them a run like no other team in the AFL but try talking to their one eyed chardonnay sipping cretin fans they think they're hard done by umpiring the most entitled group of w***ers you can ever meet.

What is the name of the ump that has that ridiculously high free kick to wce ratio?

Reckon the umpiring this year has been much better than previous years and I like to be pretty critical of the officiating.

(is this the right fred or should this go in "Unpopular Opinions"....?)

Give me thte data poitns and I will do it for fun :thumbsu:

Team
Home or Away
Free Count total | by quarter | by field position | by umpire | by type of free given
and if you want more granular
score at time of free
time of free
and (finally)
ladder position of teams before each game
Categories:

No of frees per game, by quarter, field position, umpire, type of free, player position (forward, defender, midfielder) set against the question: was the free there?

Decisions missed per game, breakdown purely between home and away sides.

Categories:

No of frees per game, by quarter, field position, umpire, type of free, player position (forward, defender, midfielder) set against the question: was the free there?

Decisions missed per game, breakdown purely between home and away sides.
yes

that is what I listed for basic data requirements - that info by (say) a full year's games woudl be enough to pretty much et up a number of hypothesis tests at he 95% confidence level easy

eg any form of consistent bias or not would be very easy to demonstrate - sans all the anecdotal noise. I suspect a few umpires would have their numbers stamped - starting with the bald clown and the blonde idjot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back