Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Controversial opinion; don’t think we’re all that bad. Our best is pretty good. Look at the 2nd quarter. Just need to deliver our best more consistently and have get our forwards to click.
I hate being a negative prick but i genuinely do not think our 2nd quarter was good, just competitive.

Skills were still bad, the ball movement really was still stagnant and it lacked any real direction.

hawkguru

All Australian
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Poor effort from the mids today especially in the 4th 15/3 in the centre square clearances is unacceptable. Our Fwds and defence are not to be blamed today. Our disposal by foot was disgusting

tenor (33).gif

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Hard game to watch today.
Not turning up for 1.5 quarters killed us in the end

Hartigan had a mare and made Darcy look like lockett

Worpel needs to go back to basics. He's lost the ability to hit a target. Cost us a few goals up forward

CJ our best, again

I'm an obrien defender, but he was shocking today. Didn't create a contest, gave little up forward.

Howe injured means bring in downie and let him.unload 70m bombs over the pack

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Endeavour and effort after 1/4 time were good, we never gave up. That's what I'm looking at. Skills and mistakes were deplorable, yes, but the polish from this young side will come. This is another nothing year for us, just rebuilding and getting games into youngsters. I'm not too fussed.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good teams eat up bad skills. Only elite teams with elite skills can prosper deep in September.

The rebuild needs to be deep and honest and immediate, in my opinion.

This current midefield and spine and wings and small forwards could take us nowhere for another 6 years. They could take us to the edge of the 8 or the first week of the finals.

I just want us to see reality. We need a dramatic rebuild.

Last edited:

Dew2KFC2Flag08

Senior List
Oct 12, 2008
Melb, south east suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trail Blazers
Chad Wingard looks dangerous every time he gets it. Quality player, hope he gets to play finals footy at Hawthorn at some point

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I have ignored the TOB debates for most of the past year because it is tired and boring but i just can't anymore...

He can't mark, kick, pick it up off the ground... He was an underwhelming player that has gone backwards and is not close to league standard.

‘I thought he was a better version of schoey, but maybe not

spotthedot

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2006
scarborough
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
subi - wafl
Did ceglar play? Too many brain fades again but we are trying and we have to be patient. I think we have a bottom 8 players instead of the normal 6 unfortunately.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
‘I thought he was a better version of schoey, but maybe not
Schoey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.TOB

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Piss poor start cost us big time. A lot of our players panic too much when they don’t have to. They think they need to play on at every opportunity when you don’t need to. Our midfield constantly puts each oth under pressure.
Breust, O’Brien, Ceglar very ordinary.liked the games of Moore, CJ, Lewis and a few others were ok such as Mitch, Wingard,Brockman also did some nice things.

Hawker1167

All Australian
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have ignored the TOB debates for most of the past year because it is tired and boring but i just can't anymore...

He can't mark, kick, pick it up off the ground... He was an underwhelming player that has gone backwards and is not close to league standard.

I am not sure how TOB and a few other put their hand out for their pay and say yeah I earned that - totally agree he has gone backwards unfortunately

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our big problem is simple but the solution is hard: we lack talent. We are a bottom 4 side on talent which means if our effort drops off at all, we cop a mauling. That happened in the first quarter, as it did in the second quarter against Essendon.

Our effort after quarter time was good but our skills remained terrible. We will always cough up goals to mistakes because our prime ball winners in Mitchell, O’Meara, Phillips and Worpel are poor ball users and poor decision makers. They all cost us goals today, the two from O’Meara and Worpel late in the third term were critical.

Mitchell gets a pass mark for willing us back into the game with an incredible second quarter. He was otherwise poor though. Worpel beat his opponent Brayshaw and should be given a longer stint at tagging. But his ball use was atrocious. O’Meara did his usual trick of following a great game with an average game. Shiels was anonymous. This midfield group is taking us nowhere.

On the positive side, CJ was in our best again, Moore was excellent and Chad is the one guy in the side with class. Brockman showed a couple good signs, but has plenty to work on.

TOB, Howe, Ceglar, Hartley will not improve and they are not good enough. I don’t understand playing them.

Fremantle are very ordinary. This very much looked like two bottom 4 sides

Wesley2

Premiership Player
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This will be unpopular but I liked Worp having a crack with that attacking kick, when they come off we always look to score, at least he spotted it and went for it. Too bad it was to three flat footed Hawks and picked out the one Docker. Yes he lacks polish, but he also monstered Brayshaw.

Gauntlet

Debutant
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No news to anyone, but we are not very good. Other teams break our tackles, win clearances. Need an infusion of power up forward and in the middle. Have to be patient.

Back