Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant question the effort and hunger after 1/4 time. Just cant give a 30 point head start

Don't want to lay into TOB but lost his feet a lot and didnt provide much. Needs a run in the VFL for confidence.

Tmitch/O'Meara/CJ/Moore great

Worpel Disagree had a great game curving Brayshaw who's right now an AA midfield and has been a driving force for Freo, to give him a bath most of the game was a huge effort, Yes his skill level does need to improve for him to take the next step but thought had a great defensive game

Hartigan had a mare, Thought Frost was average. Hartley good I thought

Ceglar needs to be better.

Breust was held by Conca which hurt when the ball was starting to come forward.

Like what Tyler Brockman brings.

Lewis is slow, I dont think he's a natural forward either, His leading isn't great and needs to show a bit more aggression and arms out on those leads

Wingard had an almost game. He got a few touches but he was just unlucky a few times today, the difference from a good and great game was a snap he always hits, a bit more composure end of the third to throw it on the boot
Cegler doesn’t need to be better, he just needs to go. He is the ugly duckling on the team sheet every week and offers nothing for attack or defence. I can find nothing, and I mean nothing justify how he keeps getting picked, we have enough talent in the vfl to play a different option. It’s so dam frustrating

So Ceglar – 7 disposals, 0 scoreboard impact. 4 marks (none forward of centre). 67% time on ground for 14 hitouts.
McEvoy15 disposals, 1 behind. 8 marks. 69% time on ground for 19 hitouts.

What possible justification is there for playing Ceglar? And if the issue is McEvoy can’t ruck a full game then why give him the captaincy at all?

We literally carried two passengers in Ceglar & O'Brien in our forward-line today. And there are a whole bunch of other problems (midfield skills and composure mainly) but we can't really address that because we don't have the cattle. We can stop carrying two absolute liabilities.
I said the same a few times this year. Ceglar is a liability. As is O’Brien and

Bit unfair to single out TO'B. He had a least 10 mates with comparable games.

Moore was good. I thought Wingard tried hard all day

A few players - Tom, JO'M, Impey, Hardwick, CJ, etc. - if you only add up the good things they did were OK. Trouble is 20/22 probably had career high clanger or mistake stats.

I still don't see a lot to be optimistic about TBH. Too many too far off it. Too many will never be on it. Too few who might be on it one day, but it is fickle. A bad injury here, a dodgy off field decision there and it can pass you by.

A good game for the "hitout stats are pointless" crowd. Reckon more clean hitouts from Cegs/BB resulted in a Freo uncontested clearance than a Hawthorn one.

Tough match to watch. Hope the injuries aren't too bad.

Final thought: Are we dismissing the impact of Silk's on field coaching? We looked very disorganised at times today.
It's not about singling him out. It's the fact he's been around forever, had a thousand chances and has proven over and over again he isn't up to it. It's now a wasted opportunity to give someone else a crack.

Now that we know we absolutely need to rebuild, you could also flick Hartigan and Hartley - but that's a bit unfair, they haven't really had much of a chance - at least at Hawthorn.

Frustrating conceding another big first quarter deficit. We really missed Sicily today, as he would have reduced a lot of those marks inside 50 Dockers forwards kept getting, although lack of midfield pressure wasn't helping our defenders. We looked at least one decent tall defender short today, which is odd given everyone thought we were going in too tall, but maybe it was the quality not the quantity that mattered.

I can forgive TOB dropping mark after mark, as he is giving the small forwards a chance to compete on the ground, but his lack of involvement in the rest of the game is hard to accept, especially given he's decently mobile for a tall forward (Lewis did a much better job of this than TOB, and is less mobile).

Hardwick and Impy good again. CJ too. Moore good and Brockman much better this week after a very quiet game last week.

How did McEvoy look so spent by the end of the game when we have two rucks? Freo completely rolled us in the midfield in the last, but it can be hard to have enough left in the tank when you've had to come back from a 5 goal deficit.

On the positive side, if we removed our slow starts, we'd have had winning chances in all our games so far, but our general skill level is depressing at times.

Think of how much better the team would be with Gunston, Sicily, Day and DGB in for O’Brien, Ceglar, Howe and Hartley. :oops:

A lot to dislike. Turnovers, Tim O’Brien, our start, general skill level, the slowness of our play, the ill-discipline

BUT

there was also a bit to like.
Moore is becoming a very handy player
CJ just makes watching us somewhat enjoyable
Brockman continues to hit the scoreboard, and shows the class we need
Morrison is becoming a reliable contributor
Wingard was good and added spark
Worpel’s tagging job
Omeara’s form
Impey’s return, run and rebound.

If only we had some pace, run and skill to bring in to the team, you know players like Greaves, Downie, Nash and maybe at a stretch Cousins. Guys that have played well for weeks in the VFL.

But no, instead we bring two talls and kept a ruckman who had 0 marks and kicks last week. Granted one of the talls was good, so credit to him. But the other has been completely average all year (career) and had absolutely no form coming in. Typically he showed us yet again why he should never ever play for the senior side.
This times a million, if the coaches don’t fix this next week wingard should be walking in and asking for a trade, it is mind boggling and insanely stupid and yet we do it again and again and again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a disappointing result, not because we lost but that we lost with Obrien, Hartley, Hartigan and Ceglar in the team. Hartigan is clearly a stop gap since we have no other fit KPP in Box Hill but why are the others playing when they won’t be in our next premiership team?

Moore showed some class today I haven’t seen from him yet, CJ also good as he has been this year. We need to play these kids to see what they are capable of even if it means fewer wins, at the end of the day we aren’t winning now.

Obrien - did his great performance as sub last week get him back into the team? This is all he is and all he will ever be, a mediocre VFL standard footballer who provides nothing to this group. Clarko said last week that Kosi and Lewis won’t get picked automatically- that they will need to show form, well I wish that would go for the entire squad.

Honestly where is this club going

Surely people aren't giving Mitchell Lewis too much grief, thought he competed very well.

Very little to be positive about that display. To many basic errors. Frost is starting to increase the amount of errors and he plays a position that we get exposed . O’Brien’s problem is he stiffens up when going for a Mark and it won’t go away. Only players that have been consistent this year are CJ and Morrison.

The Hubs fault, if it wasn't for hubs we'd have won.

Thank god Clarko recalled TOB also and persisted with Cegs, they totally proved me me wrong and I've now learnt who am I to question Clarko ? Fantastic performances by both.

Also loved the fact we had 100 more touches and 18 less inside 50s, I hope other teams don't cotton onto this masterful gameplan.

People going really hard on Worpel, made a few skill errors but was nowhere near alone with that..
Did a fantastic job tagging Brayshaw
I do keep forgetting the tagging job he did.
Ball in hand, he was very poor.
But he nullified Brayshaw's impact quite well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back