Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Shorter pre season. Can we still use that?
We might as well lol.
No excuses really, there progressions athletes, they all do there own training of season, it never stops...
If people use that as an excuse there trying to find a fake excuses for us just pure playing sh!t football

This was to be expected, on we've played the first 3 games and community cup. There's been no willingness to move the ball at all costs and take advantage of the man on the mark rule, this chip it around garbage, does not put any scoreboard pressure on. Why did we recruit Smith if we're going to play this style, it doesn't suit his run and carry.

We need to change our game style, it's no good giving up 3 first round draft picks and Fogarty for a guy we won't be able to get the ball down too enough to use and bring in Higgins, who should have been played off half back to use his run carry and kicking skills instead of on a half forward flank. This is poor coaching, how many times did Melbourne play on from a mark or have a runner to dish off to and overlap and not allow us to set up from behind.

Also why play Holmes for 1 week? He was ok, why not give him 3-4 games to give him some confidence, but no let's play him as the medical sub.

Why is Jenkins on the list if we're not going to use him, we are crying out for a second marking option, we are too top heavy down back, where's a running half back setting up the play, skilled ball user, no we've got blix, Hendo, kolo and Henry in the same team plus news as a lock down, the only positives have been Atkins back and Clarks form so far

Actually, in round 1 we were the #1 team for playing on from a mark and utilising the new 'Stand' rule

We then got killed on the turnover when we didn't hit up targets as we weren't getting back in defence

So we need to find the balance between playing on & moving the ball quickly, and the go slow option - let's see what happens once we start getting best 22 players back

Holmes will be fine and no reason he shouldn't find himself back in the side next week, and can enjoy playing at the home ground. Last week he struggled after 3/4 time and was cramping up in the last. Coming off a tough introduction to senior football, a 6 day break and one that wasn't going to be played in the best of conditions, this was about managing him this week rather than running him into the ground

Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
- today, Miers runs too far when he's 2 teammates ahead of him turn their backs on him rather than presenting as an option to kick to

Later, Miers again in space & approaching the 50 has no one leading with them either looking for a kick over the top or for him to go for goal which he wouldn't make from that distance & that side of the ground

Even the kick from Close to Clark, which was a good kick was a kick to a player running away from the ball carrier & getting it out the back

We really need to teach our forwards how to lead

Agree with you on the last example, someone (Henry or Hawkins) should of lead up towards him as he never going to make the distance,

The first instance where he ran too far was all on Miers. He had 2 players on over the back, took too long, and tried too much and then stuffed it up. The reason they turned their backs and ran towards the goals is they had no idea what Miers was trying to do after standing there waving their arms for what seemed an eternity.

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
Our forwards never lead up to the ball, forever trying to catch opponents over the back. Players also just call for the ball to be kicked to a contest. It's dumb and easily defended by opposing sides. Particularly in today's footy when sides love to stack the backline with their setups.

THIS!!! So right. Sooo frustrating. No drive!
On the large MCG no ability today to pinpoint that achievable kick over the back to our player.
Ball constantly falling short to patrolling Dees. We looked like little league kickers.

I suspect this nails Scott to his departure sooner rather than later. Just after he indicated that coaching was a crap job. Be interesting to see who they replace him with, by a new CEO too. Interesting all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Doubt we see Scott replaced until the end of his contract unless it's him who decides to leave early

This year is seeing a new president & new CEO, so they'll look for stability where possible such as the senior coach; besides not sure too many teams will want to be covering the cost of the payout in the reduced caps imposed on clubs

OddYears

Club Legend
May 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Geelong
Zuthrie has no outstanding attributes at all. He’s sort of ok sometimes, like you’d look at him and think it must be his first game at afl level and a full solid year in the reserves and he could be a player then you realise he’s been in the system for years and hasn’t improved at all. Basically below average in every aspect. Physicality, skills, decision making, its all below average.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
I was there this afternoon and we never looked like it.

Dalhouse has lost his pace, which was once a weapon.

Zac Guthrie is patently not AFL standard.

Close is very good with his hands and was not the worst.

The back-line is short of at least one classy defender with a bit of dash. Bews is just a battler.

Narkle lacks devil, passion or something... seems to wander around. He did so some nice things but I'm in two minds.

We were very poor in the centre and we let the ball out of our forward line too easily. I saw some rather feeble efforts at times.

We went round the boundary nearly every time, sometime when there was no need for it. Hawkins got the ball in pockets.

Too many of our chaps lack depth in their kicking.

I could go on but today we looked like a bottom 8 team and I fear that is where we will finish.

I would like to see Jarvis, Krueger and Holmes again but the coaching group are so very conservative.

Cheers
Can I love that comment.... spot on... For some reason we keep playing guys like Dahlhaus who for some reason keeps getting a game. Instead of the coaching group just grows some tennis balls and drop him and give a game to like Kreuger or Jarvis which would of provided as a target still makes me scratch my head

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
I definitely don't think that makes us a better side, but with the form Stanley is in it probably doesn't make us much worse.
For me I like the Luke Bevridge coaching style.. I don't care what your name is or who you are, if your form isn't up to it, back to the VFL till you find form and reward the guys who play well

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
lol Stanley, the greatest pea heart the club has ever had since David Mensch.
Blicavs is not much better either. Gets a lot of the ball but is hopelessly inept at hurting the opposition with his overall skill-set.

Stewart's a gun. Shame he is not 3 inches taller as he'd be the best key defender in the competition.

I think it was last week that Chris Scott made the claim that we have 4-5 of the best runners in the comp.

And fair enough we do have some blokes who rack up the kilometers on game day.

The trouble is those same elite runners are also some of our very worst ball users.

Tom Stewart has been in exceptional form since returning from breaking his collarbone against Melbourne last year, much respect.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I suspect this nails Scott to his departure sooner rather than later. Just after he indicated that coaching was a crap job. Be interesting to see who they replace him with, by a new CEO too. Interesting all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounded burnt out and like he is not enjoying the role anymore - he's only human, can't help it if things have been getting him down, but if that is the case he should take a good hard look in the mirror and walk at the end of the season (if not sooner).
Because there is no way he can expect his players to turn up motivated to win if he's not leading from the top.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Yep, that's fair enough. How has Fort been rucking in the VFL?
Yeah not bad, unfortunately can't take it of yesterday game against Collingwood as they didn't have a ruck. But 2 weeks back he was named in the best...
Would you like us go after Sean Darcy? Or we just stick to kids what we got in the draft like Neale and the Greek...

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Sounded burnt out and like he is not enjoying the role anymore - he's only human, can't help it if things have been getting him down, but if that is the case he should take a good hard look in the mirror and walk at the end of the season (if not sooner).
Because there is no way he can expect his players to turn up motivated to win if he's not leading from the top.
Why walk away from 600k per year though?
It's any wonder he loves his recycled players. They get him in the W's.
What have I missed here?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Scott should go!
We’re too old and slow!
We should’ve lost by more!
Premiers never lose!
Premierships are won in April!
We’ll never win another premiership!
Scott was gifted it!
Having 7 of your best 22 out doesn’t make a difference!
Our game plan is no good!
It’s Scott’s fault!
Definitely not the fault of the players or the other coaches (who are Geelong premiership players)!
I only post on here when we lose!
Demons are so good! I would love to follow a basket case of a club like them coz it’s awesome not making finals for years on end...

Am I doing it right?

Who are the 7?

Back