Preview Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn v Melbourne MCG 3.20pm Sun 18th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it’s 2021. It’s all about fast ball movement and surge mentality. Look at Geelong compared to Sydney. Gotta run and surge to take ground. Kick mark doesn’t work. Now add that to a wet slippery day in Perth and Clarkos team selection is just soo puzzling. Why are we playing 2 ruckman, 3 key defenders AND 2 key forwards? Take a defender out ( Hartigan or Hartley ), take ceglar out, and replace TOB with kosi or jeka. Bring downie in for some pace, and I would seriously look at bringing in Finn for his endurance and work rate through the middle and contested ball winning to help in the clearances. Midfield spread and clearance work is abysmal.

Burgoyne, downie, finn, kosi in for Hartigan, ceglar, obrien and Howe next week please

It's time for Clarko to swallow his pride and embrace ythe rebuild. There is no point in coming out and saying we are rebuilding, then bringing in two fringe 27 year olds that will offer us nothing moving forward (which is maybe hard on Hartley in fairness).

Out:
- TOB. Banished. Simply deplorable.

- Ceglar. Omitted. He doesn't offer enough and at his age there is no point in continuing to play him.

- Howe. Injured. I'm not his biggest fan but he's been good enough to warrant more games. Hopefully the injury isn't serious.

- Burgoyne

- Hartley or Hartigan. Hartley was good. Hartigan was terrible after a few good games. Who is the better matchup for McDonald?

Ins:
- Jeka
- Greaves
- Downie
- Nash
- Cousins

All five have been impressing in the VFL. Wouldn't mind Kosi coming back in, but I imagine he will be dropped to the VFL.

Hardwick - Hartigan/Hartley - Frost
Impey - Scrimshaw - CJ

Big Boy - Mitchell - Wingard
Phillips - JOM - Downie

Moore - Jeka - Cousins
Breust - Lewis - Brockman

Worpel (tagging Oliver) - Shiels - Greaves - Morrison
Injury sub: Nash

If you want someone to tag a midfielder it's shiels not Worpel I'll admit that Worpel did a good job on tagging brayshaw in the 1st half but in the last few weeks I've noticed Worpel just butcher the ball without looking and it results in a direct turnover.

I understand that our spine is not great atm but I'll argue that our biggest flaw is a outside mid who can run and spread from the contest because we are getting smoked in this area and unfortunately we don't bat deep enough in this department.

We are not going to be priemers this year, be lucky to even make the 8 so why not see who can put their hand up and who can't.

In: Ollie, jeka, cousins, kozi, downie
Out: howe, obrien, ceglar, Worpel, Hartley,

Hartley would be stiff to drop after 26 touches and a goal but unless he is a 3rd defender he won't benefit much, would much prefer Hartigan and Frost as the key defenders. Would also like to see Impey play as that outside mid we so desperately need until Merrett comes in 🤑

Worpel needs to play and play on Petracca all game and learn what a real bull does for his own personal development.

ceglar O’Brien omitted
Howe injured
Scrimshaw probably cops a week for the trip.

In cousins Greaves Burgoyne and possibly Jeka (depending on the weather)

Worpel needs to play and play on Petracca all game and learn what a real bull does for his own personal development.

ceglar O’Brien omitted
Howe injured
Scrimshaw probably cops a week for the trip.

In cousins Greaves Burgoyne and possibly Jeka (depending on the weather)

Weather shouldn't matter. Clarko played the tallest side we've had in ages with the weather forecast as being dreadful.

They're bringing Weideman and Brown. We'll keep the tall defenders and will need them.

I just wanna see Cegs and TOB out. Bring in Jeka and Kosi. Lewis to 2nd ruck.

Howe injured, Shaun will come in.

We're gonna get reamed regardless. Not looking forward to this one at all.

Out:
Howe is injured, so likely out.
O’Brien and Cegs should both be dropped.
Not sure why Hartley was brought back.

In:
Downie - let’s test him, plus Dee’s are quick
Greaves - good user, hard at it
Kossie - didn’t do much wrong
Nash - play him as second ruck. Can’t hurt

our defence is sound enough, our mids are going ok generally. Forward line battling and O’Brien and Cegs aren’t the answer. Time for a change

Burgoyne will be back.

Howe is out, which opens up the door for Downie. However, I'll wait until I hear the coach's tone when speaking about Howe before I'm confident on his exclusion.

Brockman needs a rest. Is virtually invisible for the first 3 quarters.

We desperately need some pace up the ground. Our only quick players play in the D50. Take a chance and drop TOB and Ceglar for some midfielders. Melbourne are in red hot form so 2 ineffective talls won't help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out OBrien (didnt deliver), Hartigan (we were too tall and slow, Hartley better match for Dees forwards), out Howe (injured and slow)

In: Kosi or Jeka, Cousins, and Burgoyne (tempted to say Downie)

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They're bringing Weideman and Brown. We'll keep the tall defenders and will need them.

I just wanna see Cegs and TOB out. Bring in Jeka and Kosi. Lewis to 2nd ruck.

Howe injured, Shaun will come in.

We're gonna get reamed regardless. Not looking forward to this one at all.
Brown in is he? Put him down for 6

As for changes, Jeka has kicked two bags in the VFL. He deserves a go.

Nash deserves a shot too. He’s still on the list, he’a young and he’s been playing well in the VFL. Our forward line stinks so give him a go.

Greaves should come in for the injured Howe. Greaves has only ever played well in his AFL games and should have a future.

TOB has to go out. Ceglar should but he won’t, partly because we are up against Gawn but largely because Clarkson seems to think the two cooked ruckman strategy is a good one.

Last edited:
It's time for Clarko to swallow his pride and embrace ythe rebuild. There is no point in coming out and saying we are rebuilding, then bringing in two fringe 27 year olds that will offer us nothing moving forward (which is maybe hard on Hartley in fairness).

Out:
- TOB. Banished. Simply deplorable.

- Ceglar. Omitted. He doesn't offer enough and at his age there is no point in continuing to play him.

- Howe. Injured. I'm not his biggest fan but he's been good enough to warrant more games. Hopefully the injury isn't serious.

- Burgoyne

- Hartley or Hartigan. Hartley was good. Hartigan was terrible after a few good games. Who is the better matchup for McDonald?

Ins:
- Jeka
- Greaves
- Downie
- Nash
- Cousins

All five have been impressing in the VFL. Wouldn't mind Kosi coming back in, but I imagine he will be dropped to the VFL.

Hardwick - Hartigan/Hartley - Frost
Impey - Scrimshaw - CJ

Big Boy - Mitchell - Wingard
Phillips - JOM - Downie

Moore - Jeka - Cousins
Breust - Lewis - Brockman

Worpel (tagging Oliver) - Shiels - Greaves - Morrison
Injury sub: Nash
Don’t mind it at all. Just reckon going up against Gawn and Jackson is a big ask for McEvoy to do on his own so Ceglar will survive one more week..

Hopefully Reeves comes on quickly or we look to draft another ruck to help strengthen our stocks...

Don’t mind it at all. Just reckon going up against Gawn and Jackson is a big ask for McEvoy to do on his own so Ceglar will survive one more week

Gawn is going to dominate the ruck regardless of whether it is Big Boy by himself or in tandem with Ceglar. We just need to do something to nullify him around the ground. Who knows how we can though?

Gawn is going to dominate the ruck regardless of whether it is Big Boy by himself or in tandem with Ceglar. We just need to do something to nullify him around the ground. Who knows how we can though?
The trick will be not to keep kicking it to him when he parks a few metres in on the 50 metre Arc of our forward line

not sure you can

some teams have tried to play 2 ruckmen with both of them being really physical with him (they do it to grundy too) but ceglar and mcevoy arent really those kinda players

i think you need like 2 Shane Mumfords to do it effectively

not sure you can

some teams have tried to play 2 ruckmen with both of them being really physical with him (they do it to grundy too) but ceglar and mcevoy arent really those kinda players

i think you need like 2 Shane Mumfords to do it effectively

He will win the taps and then peel off and sit in the hole and take mark after mark. Especially against us when we just inevitably bomb it long, straight on his head.

Big Boy can do the same thing, just contest the ruck then sit in the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back