Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

you dont think it might also have something to do with the stadium renovation and facility improvement that was not as afar advanced in 07-11 as it was later on?

Up till then, i agree... it was the G for us and there really wasnt an option.

now and more recently id say there is a viable option

GO Catters
Not really. Unless we play a small interstate club.
Itll be the same with the dogs or saints this year should they make it.
They won't be getting a home final at docklands.

you dont think it might also have something to do with the stadium renovation and facility improvement that was not as afar advanced in 07-11 as it was later on?

GO Catters

This...a rather inconvenient development, particularly so given the arrangements afforded to GCS and GWS....and what will become a stark hypocrisy after Stage 5 is completed..

This...a rather inconvenient development, particularly so given the arrangements afforded to GCS and GWS....and what will become a stark hypocrisy after Stage 5 is completed..
The AFL/VFL is built on hypocrisy and uneven playing fields since the start.
And yet it's the 2nd most watched live football league in the world.
And the more hypocritical it gets the more popular it gets.
They're hardly going to change things over looking hypocritical.

GO Catters

Potentially, depending on the opposition. The Qualifying final versus Fremantle in 2013 a good example.

But seriously, does anyone really think we're going to play Hawthorn or Richmond (so 2016 and 2017 Qualifying Final opponents) in Geelong in a final anytime soon? It is just not going to happen.

I think a major part of that is the perception of Scott as a whinger, and Dangerfield's profile and finals performances. No one was too fussed about us until Scott starting complaining about playing finals at the MCG (inexplicably). That's been a pretty big part of it I would say.
My non-Geelong friends and work colleagues are very clear why they don’t like us: we “won’t ******* go down the ladder”

McGuire says he has great sympathy for the Cats coach and the high expectations Cats fans place on him, cheekily suggesting if Scott was handing out gold bars on Geelong’s main street, “people would complain they were too heavy”.

High expectations? The coach and his staff chose to go down this recruitment path of topping up with ready made players so they can snag another premiership.
So far, it's not working and the pressure will be justifiable from Cats members and supporters.

You don't get a pat on the back for making the finals. Teams like St Kilda and Fremantle do. Not clubs like Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood or Richmond.

Some may disagree with Scott's behaviour on Friday night but I loved it.

For too long we've been pushed around by the AFL. Never getting 11 home games, never getting home finals, MRO decisions that undoubtedly impact us disproportionately.

Scott stands up for the club and stands up for his players.

Let's face it, if Clarkson or Hardwick did what Scott did on Friday the media would be praising their 'passion' and saying 'how much would the players love knowing the coach has their back?'.

Basically how he played all his football aggressively and confrontational. I honestly have no idea why this has become an issue

High expectations? The coach and his staff chose to go down this recruitment path of topping up with ready made players so they can snag another premiership.
So far, it's not working and the pressure will be justifiable from Cats members and supporters.

You don't get a pat on the back for making the finals. Teams like St Kilda and Fremantle do. Not clubs like Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood or Richmond.

Michael Voss was ridiculed and sacked a couple of years after going the ''Crazy Vossy'' route of topping up with veterans from other clubs to supplement a team that he deemed were challenging for a flag. We've been trying it for close to a decade now to no avail.

This approach has taken precedence over the one successful list-building approach that I've seen this club take in all my years supporting them; hitting a couple of drafts hard and developing a core group of kids to play coherently. I'm not sure why the club hasn't tried to replicate this template.

Michael Voss was ridiculed and sacked a couple of years after going the ''Crazy Vossy'' route of topping up with veterans from other clubs to supplement a team that he deemed were challenging for a flag. We've been trying it for close to a decade now to no avail.

This approach has taken precedence over the one successful list-building approach that I've seen this club take in all my years supporting them; hitting a couple of drafts hard and developing a core group of kids to play coherently. I'm not sure why the club hasn't tried to replicate this template.

'Topping up' looks like a short cut, and an easier road.

But sometimes nothing beats hard work, and doing the proven basics.

'Topping up' looks like a short cut, and an easier road.

But sometimes nothing beats hard work, and doing the proven basics.

I remember a few years ago Matthew Scarlett used to talk about the Geelong Way and how it was basically a template for winning Finals.
If there was ever anything to this talk - and I'm not sure that there was - then I'd say the club has tried to skip Step 1 post-2011, which was building the list around a couple of strong drafts.

Like I said, the only time I've seen Geelong climb the summit in my lifetime it was on the back of this approach, I really don't know why we've been averse to taking that path again.

I remember a few years ago Matthew Scarlett used to talk about the Geelong Way and how it was basically a template for winning Finals.
If there was ever anything to this talk - and I'm not sure that there was - then I'd say the club has tried to skip Step 1 post-2011, which was building the list around a couple of strong drafts.

Like I said, the only time I've seen Geelong climb the summit in my lifetime it was on the back of this approach, I really don't know why we've been averse to taking that path again.
Well, we have Scarlett as an assistant, and he is likely our next coach, so it seems he does not have much input into that type of system now, or that Geelong Way is now defunct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are not going to like the answer CC.

- Have heard Cook on Krock a couple years back stating he doesn't believe rebuilds are necessary.
- In an article where Carter lambasts Geelong's fan base for essentially being clueless for questioning the coach (after 2019) he said we were rebuilding on the run.
- Wells has appeared on trade radio and reiterated that he doesn't subscribe to the idea of years down the ladder in a traditional rebuild, and that there is enough talent in the draft without needing to do this.

That's the 3 pillars of our club, up until very recently.

Get Malcolm Blight back at least he knows how to play exciting football.
We had the players then; Blight would look at this list and say, No Thanks. He was the ultimate opportunist.

You are not going to like the answer CC.

- Have heard Cook on Krock a couple years back stating he doesn't believe rebuilds are necessary.
- In an article where Carter lambasts Geelong's fan base for essentially being clueless for questioning the coach (after 2019) he said we were rebuilding on the run.
- Wells has appeared on trade radio and reiterated that he doesn't subscribe to the idea of years down the ladder in a traditional rebuild, and that there is enough talent in the draft without needing to do this.

That's the 3 pillars of our club, up until very recently.

Just to be clear I am not advocating tanking in any way shape or form Gero; there are ways of getting active in the draft without bottoming out.
Back in '99 and '01 we were bad enough to ''earn'' some solid picks, but there were trades that helped us stockpile selections, too.
There's more than one way of skinning a cat.

The club's current stance on regenerating the list is pretty clear after 10 years of the same approach.
Doesn't mean that they can't alter that stance; to date it has not brought us ultimate success.

I remember Carlton for years and years bleating on about how they Don't Do Rebuilds. They don't say that any more.

I'd better hit they hay, early start!

He would find a way.
We will have to disagree on that.
Could not win a flag at Geelong with Ablett, Brownless, Lindner, Stoneham, Couch, Hocking, Burke, Bews, Bairstow, Hinkley, Bruns, Bos, Yeates... which was a super talented core of players.

Just to be clear I am not advocating tanking in any way shape or form Gero; there are ways of getting active in the draft without bottoming out.
Back in '99 and '01 we were bad enough to ''earn'' some solid picks, but there were trades that helped us stockpile selections, too.

The club's current stance on regenerating the list is pretty clear after 10 years of the same approach.
Doesn't mean that they can't alter that stance; to date it has not brought us ultimate success.

I remember Carlton for years and years bleating on about how they Don't Do Rebuilds. They don't say that any more.

I'd better hit they hay, early start!
This is true, and if the MC is up for it, we are going to have to find out.
How many games was Danger the difference a few years ago? That will not happen again.

We will have to disagree on that.
Could not win a flag at Geelong with Ablett, Brownless, Lindner, Stoneham, Couch, Hocking, Burke, Bews, Bairstow, Hinkley, Bruns, Bos, Yeates... which was a super talented core of players.
i agree but at least i would enjoy watching win or lose...not being bored to death.

Exactly. I don't see any reason why we need to bottom out at any point.

Every club is rebuilding to some degree every season anyway.

i agree but at least i would enjoy watching win or lose...not being bored to death.
Wasn't boring last year. We were possibly the best when we played our best, and it was great to watch.
Having lost (Taylor, GAJ,) Danger for 3 weeks, Simpson, Duncan, Menegola, SavRat, Cameron, maybe Rohan, has left us very flat, no doubt.
As someone said, let's reassess weekly, but more earnestly after rd 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back