Portfolio The Ideal AFL By Fizzler

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 26, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
OKC, Coburg, Werribee, Storm, QPR
Hey everyone, pretty simple portfolio here where I am remaking each AFL club's uniforms in what is, to my taste at least, the ideal way.
--------------------------------------
1618145484078.png
The major changes to the league's uniform policy are:
• A simplified, recolourable league logo, very similar to the one we currently know
• A dark and a light uniform set for each team where the clubs can nominate one to be the preferred home uniform
• As a result of the above rule, mixing shorts between different jumpers is rare, uniforms are treated as a jumper and shorts as a whole
• A return to the classic single sponsor on the back
• Each uniform is made by Puma
• Sponsors are more likely to be recoloured in team colours
Enjoy!
Adelaide Crows
Brisbane Lions
Carlton Blues
Collingwood Magpies
Essendon Bombers
Fremantle Dockers
Geelong Cats
Gold Coast Suns
Greater Western Sydney Giants
Hawthorn Hawks
Melbourne Demons
North Melbourne Kangaroos
Port Adelaide Power
Richmond Tigers
St. Kilda Saints
Sydney Swans
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs

Last edited:
Adelaide Crows
Adelaide.png

Pretty simple stuff for the Crows here, IRL O'Neills have aced it and made most of the changes here but the biggest change is only having two sets of hoops on the front. This allows the dark uniform to be as dark as possible and the light uniform to be as light as possible. It also bugs me how for the taller players have three yellow hoops visible but the shorter players only have two, something like this is far more consistent among the entire team.

I like the idea of navy or gold shorts for the away with this kit, i do like oneills take on stuff.

To be honest i'd be okay with Lions going full-time fitzroy colour as wells (some people might not though) other than clashes (i.e. sydney home, suns, bulldogs etc)

Love this! I’ve always thought that shorts should match the colour that is most prevalent on the guernsey. Would love gold shorts on the light jumper.

I like the idea of navy or gold shorts for the away with this kit, i do like oneills take on stuff.

To be honest i'd be okay with Lions going full-time fitzroy colour as wells (some people might not though) other than clashes (i.e. sydney home, suns, bulldogs etc)
You'll be in for a little bit of a treat for the Lions then, tried to do as good of a compromise between the two merged sides as possible and it came out as good as I'd have hoped
Love this! I’ve always thought that shorts should match the colour that is most prevalent on the guernsey. Would love gold shorts on the light jumper.
I think a couple years ago I might have agreed with you, but I like the idea of white shorts on the light kit, helps break things up a bit and make it that slight bit lighter. Also in the rare occurrence that the home needs light shorts, gold would look weird so I stuck with white as their lighter shorts.

Brisbane Lions
Brisbane.png

So for today's entry we're going a tiny bit more radical that yesterday's one. Right off the bat I did use El_Scorcho's updated lion, it's just such a perfect update that stays true to the Fitzroy history. As a compromise for using a different lion, I've done a few things to make the dark kit as Fitzroy-like as possible by using a redder shade of maroon, changing the cuffs to be blue and most notably bringing back Fitzroy's blue shorts. on both kits I replaced the 'BBFFC' text with the Bears and Fitzroy's monograms. The clash jumper is meant to be a homage to the Bears' final home jumper, just inverted to have a gold base. Since the Lions have included a lion on every jumper post-merger (barring heritage jumpers) I added a faint watermark of the lion as a little touch. Quite happy with what I did here trying to respect both sides of the merger as much as possible.

Brisbane Lions
View attachment 1100451

So for today's entry we're going a tiny bit more radical that yesterday's one. Right off the bat I did use El_Scorcho's updated lion, it's just such a perfect update that stays true to the Fitzroy history. As a compromise for using a different lion, I've done a few things to make the dark kit as Fitzroy-like as possible by using a redder shade of maroon, changing the cuffs to be blue and most notably bringing back Fitzroy's blue shorts. on both kits I replaced the 'BBFFC' text with the Bears and Fitzroy's monograms. The clash jumper is meant to be a homage to the Bears' final home jumper, just inverted to have a gold base. Since the Lions have included a lion on every jumper post-merger (barring heritage jumpers) I added a faint watermark of the lion as a little touch. Quite happy with what I did here trying to respect both sides of the merger as much as possible.
That home kit 😍😍😍

Adelaide Crows
View attachment 1100231

Pretty simple stuff for the Crows here, IRL O'Neills have aced it and made most of the changes here but the biggest change is only having two sets of hoops on the front. This allows the dark uniform to be as dark as possible and the light uniform to be as light as possible. It also bugs me how for the taller players have three yellow hoops visible but the shorter players only have two, something like this is far more consistent among the entire team.
I would get rid of the top and the bottom stripes in both guernseys, but I understand that it is a classic look for the the Crows, and that won't change.

I would get rid of the top and the bottom stripes in both guernseys, but I understand that it is a classic look for the the Crows, and that won't change.
Yeah that would probably look pretty solid too, though I did definitely want to stick to something Crows fans would recognise as the only expansion side from the 80s or 90s to persist with a mainly unchanged home jumper for their entire existence. I do rag on the Crows for being a "s**t club with no history" sometimes a lot, but there's some things they do well, and their jumper, for the colours imposed on them being the de facto state team of the time, is pretty solid.
New entry to the set coming in the next post!

Carlton Blues
Carlton.png
Carlton's dark kit is unchanged from the status quo, it's simple but iconic in the AFL landscape and shouldn't be tinkered with too much. The only real difference is that the blue is a smidge lighter than the present day version. Don't get me wrong, Puma are definitely a lot lighter than the near black colour Nike offered, but it could definitely be lighter to emphasise the blue. The light kit is a return to the lovely baby blue kit, I really liked this one and if the club is called the Blues (plural) then it makes sense to have another shade of blue in the mix. That and it's still listed as an official club colour on AFL Brandzone. Could be a little divisive but I really like how the baby blue kit looks alongside the navy kit. what do you think?

Love it. I think the mistake Carlton have made in the past with their coloured clash/promotional jumpers was making them part of a single-colour kit. Looks much better (and more traditional) with white shorts (and navy socks).
Absolutely. I'm a big fan of white shorts in a lot of cases as they break thing up from being a solid colour block which can be a little garish for colours like yellow. To me it also feels especially important in designing concept kits too, feels like a proper considered stylistic choice to me at than just defaulting to the main colour of the jumper.

Collingwood Magpies
Collingwood.png Our first team with the light kit as their home is Collingwood. The light kit is just your simple white base Collingwood kit but with stripes above the number on the back. The dark kit however is something new for the Pies as a black kit with faint grey stripes. A very sleek dark look there that's probably going to be a little controversial for Pies fans but is compensated for by the return of Collingwood's classic look at home. How we feeling about this one Pies fans?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood Magpies
View attachment 1102361Our first team with the light kit as their home is Collingwood. The light kit is just your simple white base Collingwood kit but with stripes above the number on the back. The dark kit however is something new for the Pies as a black kit with faint grey stripes. A very sleek dark look there that's probably going to be a little controversial for Pies fans but is compensated for by the return of Collingwood's classic look at home. How we feeling about this one Pies fans?
I have always thought, and this might be just me, that Collingwood needs to integrate the gold from the logo into their kit. The colours are so strong, and they could really do something cool with it.

Essendon Bombers
Essendon.png Straight forward stuff for the Bombers (it does get a little more interesting for the next few teams, I promise) but it works for them. Pretty similar to what they wear currently, but the light kit has a thick stroke rather than a drop shadow, which I do like as it mimics the effect of an actual sash on a jumper, but this is a stronger look imo. It is a call back to Essendon's 2017 clash jumper. How are we feeling Bombers fans?

Essendon Bombers
View attachment 1102911Straight forward stuff for the Bombers (it does get a little more interesting for the next few teams, I promise) but it works for them. Pretty similar to what they wear currently, but the light kit has a thick stroke rather than a drop shadow, which I do like as it mimics the effect of an actual sash on a jumper, but this is a stronger look imo. It is a call back to Essendon's 2017 clash jumper. How are we feeling Bombers fans?
Why not going for white guernsey with a red sash? Too South Melbourne?

Fremantle Dockers
Fremantle.png
I really love how Fremantle moved to a simpler palette of just purple and white, but I can't help but lament the loss of the anchor, it was really a nice unique design element and the old purple haze kit they wore was my favourite Freo kit ever, so naturally I brought it back here. Simple stuff but it looks solid. I did redraw the anchor to be a little bit sharper, particularly on the fluke (the part that sticks inwards) which hopefully makes it appear just the little bit sleeker and more modern.

Like what you're doing. Just wish as an industry, we could move past the white shorts on the clash strip when it's not part of the kit colours.
On the above it's really only Adelaide and Essendon that don't have white on their kits as actual colours, I agree though. Essendon Red kit with red or black shorts would look fine, Lions with maroon, Carlton with navy, and Croms with Navy or Gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back