Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara 2021 (Rolling into year 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure which games you are referring to. Don't take my post as some sort of shot at JOM, I've been his biggest fan on here.

However the hard tags - Steele, Hewett, O'Connor, De Boer, etc have all been sent to Mitchell.

JOM was tagged a lot during Worpel's 2019 break out year.

I can’t think of a particular game off the top of my head but I’ve definitely seen O’Meara get tagged in games while Mitchell is playing.

Not sure which games you are referring to. Don't take my post as some sort of shot at JOM, I've been his biggest fan on here.

However the hard tags - Steele, Hewett, O'Connor, De Boer, etc have all been sent to Mitchell.

JOM was tagged a lot during Worpel's 2019 break out year.

Strongly disagree. I've seen O'Meara be tagged a lot with Mitchell in the squad, in fact I saw Isaac Smith get tagged a few times with Mitchell in the squad.

People really need to chill on their comments regarding JOM. So many times I’ve seen people say Worpel is already better than him and even saying Cousins is..... lmao wtf are people watching

Yes of course it would be terrific if he could be more consistent and yes sometimes his disposal isn’t great. I saw S. Mitchell and Hodge make plenty of mistakes with ball in hand over the time (of course Sammy and Hodge were better by foot more regularly but you get my point)

In regards to consistency...
First year - injury riddled

Second year - him and Tom get us to top 4

Third year - Tom is injured and out for the year. JOM is head and shoulders our best mid this year and protected Worpel especially for the first half of the season. Copped tags most weeks allowing Worpel to flourish.

Fourth year - Tom comes back and is very out of form quite often getting in the way. Worpel takes a big step backwards and the whole midfield struggles with getting Tom back to speed and without our first choice ruck actually playing ruck...

Fifth year - Was great in rd 1, mediocre but still hardest working mid in rd 2 and BOG rd 3....

No wonder there is inconsistency...

its early but it looks like JOM might be finally having that season that will get people to start viewing him as Jaeger O'Meara instead of two first-rounders or whatever it was

I'm going early but I reckon if he keeps this up he's well and truly in Brownlow contention. Very eye catching against the Cats receiving the ruck tap at pace and then wheeling around and driving it forward. Umpires have front row seats to that stuff.

Presently our two best mids were acquired in the same draft. I shudder to think where we would be right now as a side. I’m guessing Gunston and Breust would have moved on. No wingard. Maybe even some of the other lessor lights don’t join us such as frost, hartigan, Phillips etc. we could well be north...

I’m disappointed things haven’t worked out better to date but I’m not uncomfortable with having used trades to bring in our two best mids.

Would our list be in better shape but if we had taken those picks to the draft and the Wingard picks as he didn’t want to come and traded Breust and Gunston. We may not be playing as well we may be like The blues in the last couple of year but we could also be starting to rise again like Swans. 2008 on took 4 years.

Thought this guy was the one who needed to be redoployed to allow Mitchell and Worpel work and boy was I wrong.

Love This guy plays his role and compliments either Worpel or Mitchell perfectly. On the other hand Worpel and Mitchell need to get their chemistry right because JOM and Shiels aren’t the problem at all. If the dogs can make it work with Libba, Bont, Dunkley, Treloar all inside players then no reason Worpel and Mitchell can’t make it work.

Regardless sets the standard and is the perfect leader with Gunston to lead us back to the finals in a few years.

Would our list be in better shape but if we had taken those picks to the draft and the Wingard picks as he didn’t want to come and traded Breust and Gunston. We may not be playing as well we may be like The blues in the last couple of year but we could also be starting to rise again like Swans. 2008 on took 4 years.
Most of the premiership side was already on the list when Clarko took over. Obviously we did acquire some incredible talent in 2005, 2006 and 2007. Our core after 2016 had a massive hole in it...the kind of hole, if not filled, causes a club to collapse in on itself. Look at our list in the age between 25-30 at players we didn’t recruit from other clubs. It is a very small list and we would not be attractive to anyone as a destination by now. You would then be facing a decade in the Wilderness at least. We attempted to rebuild on the fly but I don’t think it has compromised our list massively as those players are still in their prime now and, as you noted, it can change quickly. Obviously this is my opinion and open to debate. 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He deserves more respect from some of our fans, but especially from the wider footballing community.

He's completely selfless. When he plays his game we see performances like round one and especially last week. When he plays a pure team role we see performances like round two. Either way he does what is asked of him - and despite showing that he can dominate when the leash is off he still valiantly does the team thing at the expense of his own game.

Leader on/off the track and always gives 100%.

I'm going early but I reckon if he keeps this up he's well and truly in Brownlow contention. Very eye catching against the Cats receiving the ruck tap at pace and then wheeling around and driving it forward. Umpires have front row seats to that stuff.

I imagine Guthrie and/or Duncan will receive votes. But JOM deserves 1 or 2 for that game. Same too against Essendon.

He deserves more respect from some of our fans, but especially from the wider footballing community.

He's completely selfless. When he plays his game we see performances like round one and especially last week. When he plays a pure team role we see performances like round two. Either way he does what is asked of him - and despite showing that he can dominate when the leash is off he still valiantly does the team thing at the expense of his own game.

Leader on/off the track and always gives 100%.
100% 👍

I imagine Guthrie and/or Duncan will receive votes. But JOM deserves 1 or 2 for that game. Same too against Essendon.

I didn't think Guthrie was that great for his involvement in the Geelong game. I know this is a criticism levelled at Mitchell a lot, but 43 touches for 160 metres gained is hardly a concern. Duncan was the difference, and he was the bloke I was worried about with him coming back into the side.

I didn't think Guthrie was that great for his involvement in the Geelong game. I know this is a criticism levelled at Mitchell a lot, but 43 touches for 160 metres gained is hardly a concern. Duncan was the difference, and he was the bloke I was worried about with him coming back into the side.

Yeah same with me. In the pre-game thread I was hoping that we would tag him. He's their barometer now, IMO.

I said all week in the leadup I was more worried about Duncan than I was Selwood.

Now we're 1-3 and looking for distractions from the pain...

Anyone else notice that Jaeger is dating Sharrod Wellingham's ex, who he was with for at least six years?

If O’Meara keeps playing the way he is, he will start getting more attention in the midfield. He is essentially our sole drive out of the centre bounces and stoppages.

O’Meara at the top of our list with 41 clearances. Next best is Mitchell on 16.
He had three score involvements yesterday. His clearances don’t lead to anything. I think we may be setting up for JOM to win a lot of clearances (so not sure it’s a true reflection of how he’s going - but he has had a good start to season). However other teams don’t really care if he wins it as nothing really happens offensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back