Preview Round 5 Port vs Carlton @ MCG 6.55pm Sat 17/4/21

Remove this Banner Ad

I absolutely hate this mob. Like most over the age of 35 I can still remember how arrogant they are when they're a winning side, anyone under the age of 25 is fortunate they've never seen it or dealt with it in their lifetime. Their club and fans still carry that arrogance that they're a power club when they've been little more then irrelevant for the past 25 years.

Will be a tough game with the injuries we picked up Friday night, but the 8 day break between games, and the quality on our list I expect us to win, and should be good to play on the G for the boys for the first time in a bloody long time.

Hoping Toddy comes back in, and Charlie takes a few grabs and kicks a few this week. If we win the midfield we win the game, simple as that.

The Craig Bradley/Barnaby French/Matthew Lobbe/Cam O'Shea/Cain Ackland/Troy Bond/Graeme Robertson/Scott Spalding/Brent Heaver/Damian Lang/Greg Bentley, Darren Pfeiffer memorial cup. (Probably missing a few, and purposely missing 1).

Last edited:
Ehh no idea what to expect here. Feel like we usually play what happen power footy against Carlton. Curnow will go to Boak, Wines and Cripps will be a good battle, think we need Rocky in the middle for this game with Butters out even though they're completely different.

Carn. This is extremely negative.

Besides the reported injured players, how do you know that the players are sore, tired and flat this week? And you don’t think 8 days is enough time for them to recover?

No excuses. It’s Carlton.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah maybe a tad, but we know how we typically follow up after big games including Showdowns.

Carlton will be up for the challenge considering we stole the game after the siren last year.

It's all in the recovery and preparation, something we failed miserably against West Coast. Hopefully we learnt that lesson!

FMD reading the Carlton board matchup thread reminds me why I can't stand these guys. If we don't give these guys a pummelling we aren't serious about a premiership, for us to be worried about a middle of the road Carlton after a valiant/hard fought but less than A grade(we have a lot more to give) win over the reigning premiers is something we need to change.

Port by 45

Dixon should find form if Liam Jones lines up on him. Ridiculously overrated defender

FMD reading the Carlton board matchup thread reminds me why I can't stand these guys. If we don't give these guys a pummelling we aren't serious about a premiership, for us to be worried about a middle of the road Carlton after a valiant/hard fought but less than A grade(we have a lot more to give) win over the reigning premiers is something we need to change.

Port by 45
That was your first mistake, reading their board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was your first mistake, reading their board.
Always like to have a peruse of oppos match threads to see where there heads are at and outside opinion of where we are at, blows my mind how many perennial under achievers have such confidence, yet we as a supporter base are so bomb scared to be confident even cocky when we are within our rights to be.

Hows people attitudes around dropping this one... I know we have injuries etc, but we overcame a very good Richmond side in a far better skilled higher intensity game that Carlton, who stumbled and fumbled about over the ruckless suns. We should be winning this game comfortably even without Butters and Duursma. Extra days break too.

Port by 5 goals + for me.

Hows people attitudes around dropping this one... I know we have injuries etc, but we overcame a very good Richmond side in a far better skilled higher intensity game that Carlton, who stumbled and fumbled about over the ruckless suns. We should be winning this game comfortably even without Butters and Duursma. Extra days break too.

Because of our history of having a inability against lesser sides , especially away from home to backup after winning a blockbuster game.

I'm wary of Carlton if McKay gets his tail up early they can be hard to stop, and Eddie always plays well against us. They're not a contender, but on their day they can be a prick of a side to beat especially if they get a good start.

We should win, we just have to get on top in the middle, and start well. If we can get Charlie, Mitch and Toddy going early that will go a long way. Plus their defence doesn't really have match ups for our smalls, as they're so attacking from the back half so it can be exploited if we are on.

I don't care who the ins and outs are this week, whether they are forced or not. All I want to see is the same preparedness and intensity from the players that we saw against Richmond and if we do that, we will win!

It's no use talking about our depth of quality, it's all about the depth standing up and being as vicious and ruthless as those that they replace in the side. They must justify their selection to wear the guernsey.

agree 100%

this game might tell us more about the team and coaches than the Richmond win.

very good teams can win in adversity and here’s our chance to do a similar thing that Richmond did to us a few years ago.

we need our leaders to have huge games.

It's too early to tell at this stage (and it sounds simplistic) but I wonder if we have to learn to deal with playing in front of hostile crowds again.

Obviously not an issue last year or against Norf but the effort even from our senior players when the game was on the line against West Coast was dismal to say the least. Up till then we had a cushy ride.

Nervous about this game because we struggle to get up for Carlton games and the umps usually get in their corner (the robbery of 2015 still annoys me). Lets get the win and get out of there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back