Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

i am really quite bewildered

all through last offseason we knew that we would be a side that struggles this year. we had a top 5 pick last year, have been to the draft the past 2 years. most in here were saying that we would be a bottom 4 team

and now that we're playing like a bottom 4 team, everyone seems shocked? is this not what people expected? we've actually been much better than I thought we'd be

You can’t play all of the kids at once however I’m hoping we reward Jeka / Reeves for their good form.

Jeka should be given 2-3 games at the expense of OBrien this week.

And then when Jeka goes back to box hill for a rest bring in Reeves for Cegs. This week is not the time to debut a ruckman against Gawn however in 2-3 weeks time it would be perfect to have Reeves partner up with Big boy as I’m sure he would learn a lot from having Ben showing him the ropes.

Reeves Has been in the best in every practice game so far this year and is ready. We need to develop a program for him to spend the rest of 2021 split 50/50 in the seniors/reserves.

“Other than Will Day, who will be a star" "Changkuoth Jiath can absolutely be an A-grader, but wasn’t a high draft pick."
And DGB, and whoever we take with our first pick this year....so there’s 4 predicted already, unless just like opposition Bigfooty clowns Cornes is also unable to recognize that list are able to be changed every 12 months though draft, trade and FA.

all through last offseason we knew that we would be a side that struggles this year. we had a top 5 pick last year, have been to the draft the past 2 years. most in here were saying that we would be a bottom 4 team

and now that we're playing like a bottom 4 team, everyone seems shocked? is this not what people expected? we've actually been much better than I thought we'd be
Where is this “everyone” who is shocked? I have barely seen anyone - here or in the media - even remotely surprised by where we are at. The disagreements don’t seem to be about where we are at, but how we get out of it in terms of selection and recruitment

I have been reasonably comfortable with 3 of our 4 games this year. But I am concerned with how long it might take us to contend again

How many of them had us being 2-2 at Round 4?

I’m betting not many, yet here they are declaring that it’s not good enough that we are 1-3 after playing the two grand finalists and Freo in Perth.

“Other than Will Day, who will be a star" "Changkuoth Jiath can absolutely be an A-grader, but wasn’t a high draft pick."
Love the caveat on CJ. Who gives a rats arse if he wasn't a high draft pick?? Even better, we've picked an A grader from an Academy rookie selection. Absolute gold!!

And DGB, and whoever we take with our first pick this year....so there’s 4 predicted already, unless just like opposition Bigfooty clowns Cornes is also unable to recognize that list are able to be changed every 12 months though draft, trade and FA.
Exactly.

It's very likely that we'll get three picks in the top 30 in what seems to be a very deep draft. Yes, we have to nail them, but it's not like we're completely incompetent at identifying talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In other breaking news, water is wet!!!!

We have been rebuilding since 2015!!! Yet we have still be able to attract players such as Impey, JOM, Chad and Mitch who won a brownlow. We were balls deep into Cogs, Whitfield (until Ole Gil played his hand) and Shiel!!! We will remain active on bringing in quality players, either by trades or the draft. While we wont get everyone we need, our list will improve. Rebuilds take time and require patience both from within the club and us as supporters. If you stuff it up, then you end in the wildness for decades like like Carlton or Melb!!! Or a fair worse place like North!!

I think it was SYL that commented, so far have had a come from behind win against the injectors, faced both of last year grand finalist (if you listen to some, one team is the greatest team ever to win b2b flags and the other are free agency gods🤮) and traveled to Perth. WE ARE 4 GAMES IN FFS!!!

While I can accept inconsistent performances as the younger players learn their way and how our systems work along side our more experienced players!! Clarko is well known for not throwing all the kids together at once, especially early in the season. Injuries to Day, Gunners and Sic impact our skill level. With Scully and Patton effectively gone, we have lost 2 more mature experienced players!! Gunners return will settle the forward line, hopefully allowing others to gain confidence and form.

What I cant accept is some of our so called supporters carrying on like flogs, gleefully sh#t canning our club and players after a loss. If an oppo supporter carried on like that on here, they would be told to * off and cop a thread ban!!

Not many players go straight to A grade. We’ve got a number of B grades, Kane isn’t wrong there. But you’ve got to be B grade before you’re A grade.
True but who amongst our emerging youth are destined midfield or KPP A graders? That’s the concern. All our emerging talent are half back, half forward flanker types. We don’t have any emerging Key post A graders. DGB might be a hope but boy oh boy it’s slim pickings. And please don’t hit me up with the nonsense that Day or Impey can get a run in the middle. I mean genuine mids.

Not sure which KPF are FA this year. If anything it would be adding class to our midfield via Merrett. Which would help enormously in my book.
Yes we can only acquire who is available. Build the best squad we can and use free agency to acquire the missing pieces. Class through the middle would at least allow us to see what our forwards can do when the midfielders can kick it to their advantage.

Love the caveat on CJ. Who gives a rats arse if he wasn't a high draft pick?? Even better, we've picked an A grader from an Academy rookie selection. Absolute gold!!
Last week the fox footy crew were asking if cj could be AA this year and now we have sen saying he doesn’t count because he was a rookie pick 🤦‍♂️

Where is this “everyone” who is shocked? I have barely seen anyone - here or in the media - even remotely surprised by where we are at. The disagreements don’t seem to be about where we are at, but how we get out of it in terms of selection and recruitment

I have been reasonably comfortable with 3 of our 4 games this year. But I am concerned with how long it might take us to contend again

a read of the PGT for starters and u would think we're contending for a flag

We’re middle of the road cos we keep gifting games to O’Brien, Ceglar, Howe and Hartigan. Was the same with Stratts, Frawley, Poppy etc. as soon as our kids got chances in their place last year we looked a lot better. Same needs to happen this year, get cousins, Kosi, Nash, Morris and Finn etc in instead of these average journeyman.

I think the folk are frustrated with the slow negative game style more than anything.

The first qtr yesterday was a disgrace and we were lucky to not be down 60 at qtr time.

It is obviously designed by the coaching group to try and avoid blow outs but I would like to see us more aggressive especially at the start of games.

We’re middle of the road cos we keep gifting games to O’Brien, Ceglar, Howe and Hartigan. Was the same with Stratts, Frawley, Poppy etc. as soon as our kids got chances in their place last year we looked a lot better. Same needs to happen this year, get cousins, Kosi, Nash, Morris and Finn etc in instead of these average journeyman.

Bingo. Good post.

I’m bewildered, not at 1/3 but with those playing in the side for that result. To think Clarko has embraced a reset or rebuild to date is just plain wrong.
Has or hasn’t?

Why is anyone getting caught up in what Kane Cornes says?

He gets paid to throw things out and get reactions.

Who cares!!!

Do you think maybe the players they brought in were ready at the time they were brought in? I’m a fan of Kosi but asking a guy who has played five games as a forward (as an adult) at any level to play kpf at AFL level is a hell of an ask. I don’t want to burn him out not getting a kick. He has kicked half the goals that O’Brien has and not looked close to AFL ready. Take out the north game and he has struggled. I’d be happy to see him get his confidence back at vfl for a couple of weeks and bring him back for another go. I’ll leave that to the club as they know how he is travelling.

I think we will see Nash this week. Maybe cousins or greaves. All three have had some development and it is time to give them senior chances.

we are stuck with one of hartigan, Hartley and O’Brien in the team every week to play kpd as they are literally all we have (Sicily and dgb injured). I’d be ok with dropping ceglar and using tob and Lewis as relief ruckman but the club seem intent not to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back