Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Also barely any from CJ, played a more complete game than any other this year. Found myself missing some of the extra dash but it was nice to see he could tone it down and still be in the best.
Really impressed with his intercept marking. That part of his game along with the run and dash could make him absolutely lethal.

That's why I'd like to see Greaves back in the side. He made a few kicks down the middle against the Dogs in that practice match which really opened the game up. His main advantage over other players is that his kicking is extremely reliable on both sides.
I thought Burgoyne was keeping him out but we didn’t bring him in when resting Burgoyne. I’m sure he can’t be far away. I think we are trying to develop guys like frost, Hardwick, hartigan and scrimshaw to be able to coach the likes of greaves. We were terribly disorganised against freo in the first term so maybe that group isn’t ready to bring in another inexperienced player.

The encouraging sign for me is that we keep trying to take the game on and as yet haven’t been blown away despite the bad turnovers. Parts of our game are actually working but it is hard to see for all the horrible goal costing errors.
Not sure how our game style could be called taking the game on. We move the ball very slowly chipping it around and racking up stats - and after getting clogged up we try a switch that most often fails. There’s no dare, overlap run etc.

We don’t get blown away as we move the ball so slowly our defense is always set up for a turnover.

We basically set up for honourable losses - which is a waste of time when done week in / week out for years on end.

Also giving up a lead then fighting back when pressure is off (but still losing) is the false hope Carlton has been doing for years.

To move ahead as a club we need to change up selection and genuinely take the game on - this may turn 3-4 goal losses to the occasional 8-10 goal loss but that’s the hard road we need to take to actually improve. It’s not like we’re even playing the kids vs what other sides are putting out there. But the only way we are going to improve is to put games into those outside the 22 as there’s only a handful of players in our current side we could expect genuine improvement from (eg brockman, Moore, Lewis, CJ, scrim) - but rest are either pretty experienced or limited footballers.

The strange thing about the hawks over the last few years is I reckon most supporters can cop losses if there’s a clear direction and youth focus. Even losing to Geelong was fine given the way CJ played. But wasn’t much to get excited about in the freo performance (yes a few player well - but add 2-4 kids to that team and would be a lot more watchable).

I thought Burgoyne was keeping him out but we didn’t bring him in when resting Burgoyne. I’m sure he can’t be far away. I think we are trying to develop guys like frost, Hardwick, hartigan and scrimshaw to be able to coach the likes of greaves. We were terribly disorganised against freo in the first term so maybe that group isn’t ready to bring in another inexperienced player.

It's difficult to level the blame against the defenders with how readily the ball was waltzed out of the middle, doesn't matter who you have down there. The ball was in there from centre clearances before we could even begin to organise.

Those last week who defended the forward gameplan stating that it's not the intention to bomb it to the top of the square; we're just inexperienced and lack the skills to do it. Where are those this week? Fremantle gave an absolute lesson on how to kick to a forwards advantage. Had they kicked accurately, we would have been killed off in the first quarter. Fremantle aren't even a good nor experienced side. In fact they're one of the few sides where we could say we have a better forward line on paper.

Whose idea was it to give the tick of approval to try and fine chip our way down the ground, kicking to stationary targets, when we have a low-skilled side? Caused so many turnovers.

The lack of half forward line is a huge concern. It appears as if it's part of the gameplan because there was never a target around the half forward area. They were either deep in the F50 waiting for the kick over the HFF to the top of the square, or they were up the field standing in their predetermined positions waiting for a chip kick in hope that a free HBFer would run past for the handball.

I can sort of see why Ceglar is being selected, however I'm not a fan of it. McEvoy's age is showing greatly now and his rucking has taken a nosedive off a very deep cliff. He can still compete around the ground, but he's getting badly beaten in the ruck contests. Ceglar's there to give McEvoy a chop-out and none of our forwards are competitive in the ruck. TOB is non-competitive in there.

Can't fault the effort, but the gameplan and the talent aren't there.

We need more Wingard's. Players with fast and smart football brains and fast bodies. He's our only player with the double.
I havent read the rest of this post but for you to start with the game plan being the problem is really dissapointing. Because it was clear we struggled to execute a sequence of handballs and kicks all fricken day. If you cant execute the very basic skills of a game how r u going to implement a game plan. The problem is the personnel and if you werent on some crusade about the game plan and that bias you would actually see that. I am sure you will discuss some insane game plan where our forwards are taught not to lead because it fits in with ure narrative. The fact is we just cant execute properly from one end of the ground to the other. We have some young forwards that are still learning. Check the Essendon game. We atleast put a few handballs and kicks together. The players tried hard but some are looking at box hill next week as they let themselves down.

I think our game plan was based on a game of MONOPOLY, played badly. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. The number of times we kicked backwards and further backwards until we fumbled and turned over the ball in their forward 50 was a joke. Every time we kicked it backwards we just allowed Freo to set up their defense so by the time we were ready to move finally forward, everyone was covered. Slow Poke Rodriguez should be the name of our forward movement.

The HFC game plan says NO to fast, exciting ball movement moving forward.

Even when we where dominating we never got within more than 2 goals of gaining the lead.

Positives: Dylan Moore. Well done young man. The hard work in the time before the pre season has paid off!

Positives: Our forward line is so talented it's keeping a guy who has kicked 11 goals in two games in the twos out of the team. THAT's how good they are.

I havent read the rest of this post but for you to start with the game plan being the problem is really dissapointing. Because it was clear we struggled to execute a sequence of handballs and kicks all fricken day. If you cant execute the very basic skills of a game how r u going to implement a game plan. The problem is the personnel and if you werent on some crusade about the game plan and that bias you would actually see that. I am sure you will discuss some insane game plan where our forwards are taught not to lead because it fits in with ure narrative. The fact is we just cant execute properly from one end of the ground to the other. We have some young forwards that are still learning. Check the Essendon game. We atleast put a few handballs and kicks together. The players tried hard but some are looking at box hill next week as they let themselves down.

what's the point anymore, people just ignore what you say

it's blindingly obvious our gameplan is much more aggressive and attacking than years gone by, we just can't execute it properly

go watch our games vs GWS, Collingwood and Melbourne last year and compare it to our first three games this year.

I feel like Mundy is very underrated outside of WA

He was probably the best midfielder out there today which is remarkable given he is what 34 or thereabouts?

His disposal has actually gotten better as he has gotten older as well which is unusual.

It was an interesting tactic by Clarko to tag Brayshaw...If Mundy gets it 25-30 times you're in massive trouble...Andy, not so much.

Last week Carlton kept Mundy to 15 and we looked like dog s**t

I think our game plan was based on a game of MONOPOLY, played badly. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. The number of times we kicked backwards and further backwards until we fumbled and turned over the ball in their forward 50 was a joke. Every time we kicked it backwards we just allowed Freo to set up their defense so by the time we were ready to move finally forward, everyone was covered. Slow Poke Rodriguez should be the name of our forward movement.

The HFC game plan says NO to fast, exciting ball movement moving forward.

Even when we where dominating we never got within more than 2 goals of gaining the lead.

Positives: Dylan Moore. Well done young man. The hard work in the time before the pre season has paid off!
The funny thing is as a supporter as soon as they start chipping the ball backwards and sideways off half back you just know its going to end up being a long bomb to a pack in our forward line.

Its risk free footy, trying to prevent a turnover but limiting your ability to score through fast ball movement.

Also that slow controlled style favours a team with elite kicks (Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell) which is not really our go at the current moment.

It was an interesting tactic by Clarko to tag Brayshaw...If Mundy gets it 25-30 times you're in massive trouble...Andy, not so much.

Last week Carlton kept Mundy to 15 and we looked like dog sh*t

He's our local hero down in Seymour!

Amazing considering he was a forward all through his junior years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Mundy carved us up - him and Fyfe were very influential. While worpel locked down Brayshaw it didn’t really influence the overall result as either Fyfe or Mundy got the ball out themselves or passed off to freo’s runners (cerra , serong).

R, I'm only quoting this to get your attention. I haven't and won't read your response for 1 reason.

You're a cultist.

It does't matter what the coach does, you'll defend him.
The fact you seem to seek out my posts about the gameplan and no one else's when there are plenty before mine shows to me that you agree there are grave concerning problems in the coaches box but you just can't accept it.

You share a striking similarity to a Scientologist who lays down enough money to gain access to the story of Xenu. They invest so much of their time and money being brainwashed into thinking that L. Ron Hubbard is a faultless and a perfect visionary that when they're exposed to his story about Xenu, they leave thinking, "What the hell did I just read?" but yet none of them leave.

Why? Because they're brainwashed. They do whatever they can to convince themselves it's everyone else but the cult leader who is wrong. Sound familiar?

The only difference between them and you is that your L. Ron Hubbard is L. Ron Clarkson.

I made the decision this year to ignore all cultists as they're the types who use quotes such as "We're just 1 or 2 players from being a contender", "We just need a contested marker..." and "...just needs one good preseason...". I fell into the trap last week, but I'm aware of my mistake and won't be making it again... I hope. I suggest you do the same regarding mine.

TO LRC! *applause*

It's difficult to level the blame against the defenders with how readily the ball was waltzed out of the middle, doesn't matter who you have down there. The ball was in there from centre clearances before we could even begin to organise.
Hartigan alone gave up three free kicks close to goal. We couldn’t get a second man up against Darcy. A lot of their goals were reasonably slow moving static play and we just didn’t pick up their players. Mundy got one where one freo player took 3 hawks with them leaving space to glide in behind and take an uncontested mark with impey caught ball watching. Another shot on goal from Fyfe where he was just standing inside fifty for about 30 seconds and we had a defender 10m ignoring him. I believe frost was his direct opponent at the time but no one switched onto Fyfe. And then there was all the fumbles and basic skill errors coming from the defenders that put themselves under pressure and left everyone out of position. The defence isn’t just the defenders of course but the defenders were very poor in the first quarter.

im seeing plenty of good things... skills are rubbish & there is some mind boggling decision making but reality is we need to invest further in the draft at the very top for another few years.

enjoy the ride... remember we've had a particular hard start to the year but havr given it a red hot crack in every one.

more class, speed & skill the focus in the next few drafts.

Look at the Scum. Playing all their kids and are super competitive. Hate saying it, but they're doing it well.
Maybe their kids are more ready? Certainly they came higher in the draft than ours for the most part. In saying that, let’s see how we are both are going later in the year once we have rotated more of our youth through the side.

Even if you take Shaun Burgoyne out of the equation yesterday.

Fremantle still had a team on average 1 year younger across the board and 400 or so games less experience.

They won by 15 points and it really should have been 5-6 goals.

As a few have touched on.

Essendon round 1 - Round 1 always a willing contest.
Tigers - Premiers
Cats - Runners up
Freo - Away
Melbourne - Top 4 rated side.

Thats an opening draw worthy of a top 4 finishing side in 2020. Imo we need to hang tough for a few more weeks and try and get a few wins and some confidence back into the boys.

As a few have touched on.

Essendon round 1 - Round 1 always a willing contest.
Tigers - Premiers
Cats - Runners up
Freo - Away
Melbourne - Top 4 rated side.

Thats an opening draw worthy of a top 4 finishing side in 2020. Imo we need to hang tough for a few more weeks and try and get a few wins and some confidence back into the boys.

That's 3 non finalists from last season, I wouldn't complain about it.

R, I'm only quoting this to get your attention. I haven't and won't read your response for 1 reason.

You're a cultist.

It does't matter what the coach does, you'll defend him.
The fact you seem to seek out my posts about the gameplan and no one else's when there are plenty before mine shows to me that you agree there are grave concerning problems in the coaches box but you just can't accept it.

You share a striking similarity to a Scientologist who lays down enough money to gain access to the story of Xenu. They invest so much of their time and money being brainwashed into thinking that L. Ron Hubbard is a faultless and a perfect visionary that when they're exposed to his story about Xenu, they leave thinking, "What the hell did I just read?" but yet none of them leave.

Why? Because they're brainwashed. They do whatever they can to convince themselves it's everyone else but the cult leader who is wrong. Sound familiar?

The only difference between them and you is that your L. Ron Hubbard is L. Ron Clarkson.

I made the decision this year to ignore all cultists as they're the types who use quotes such as "We're just 1 or 2 players from being a contender", "We just need a contested marker..." and "...just needs one good preseason...". I fell into the trap last week, but I'm aware of my mistake and won't be making it again... I hope. I suggest you do the same regarding mine.

TO LRC! *applause*
Bizarre nonsense. It’s very telling that Bradkli has already liked this deluded and incoherent brain vomit doubling as a criticism of a Hawthorn fan. Like a fly to sh.t.

My brain hurts and my eyes are angry at me for reading those words.

I could be wrong here, but I think it's Mundy's wearing the hair cut of a 12 year old that throws him. It's a great bit of subterfuge on Mundy's part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back