Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

cant wait for stack to get fit. Teams catching up to to us so we need some contested ball.
Riolis game has been found out. You have to be able to do everything , not just f ing run and tackle. Wake up people.
oh BTW I wonder how butler is going? Anyone still want to argue that?
it is what it is, but i'd take rioli over butler just for dans september factor.

it is what it is, but i'd take rioli over butler just for dans september factor.

Rioli in finals

2017 QF - 0 Goals
2017 Prelim - 4 Goals
2017 GF - 0 Goals

2018 QF - 3 Goals
2018 PF - 0 Goals

2019 QF - 2 Goals
2019 Prelim 0 Goals
2019 GF - 1 Goal

2020 QF - 2 Goals
2020 SF - 1 Goal
2020 PF - 0 goals
2020 GF - 0 goals

6 out of 12 finals he’s kicked 0 goals.

1 goal in total across 3 GF’s.

Has been mostly invisible in the cut throat finals with a 4 goal PF in 2017 an outlier, and also what he’s coasted through his career on.

He’s really not the Mr September he gets credited for at all.

Rioli in finals

2017 QF - 0 Goals
2017 Prelim - 4 Goals

In this game every time we needed a goal Daniel gave us a goal and kept the GWS at a distance not allowing them to get a sniff

Not for Dan Rioli we dont win that game and dont get into the GF

He has alot of credits in my Bank

In this game every time we needed a goal Daniel gave us a goal and kept the GWS at a distance not allowing them to get a sniff

And herein lies the problem.
Hes been living off one good game 4 years ago with some supporters. He's been disappointing ever since.

And herein lies the problem.
Hes been living off one good game 4 years ago with some supporters. He's been disappointing ever since.
Some might say the same about Lynch as well

Not having a purple patch but we all seen what his replacement offers and clearly not good enough

Looked like a pretty decent game in the VFL over the weekend by the numbers but a few mentioned he played on ball in the game as well

Wouldn’t be shocked if he comes straight back in

Talk about living in the past. He’s been pathetic since that game but people like you think he should still get a game. Laughable.

Some might say the same about Lynch as well

Not having a purple patch but we all seen what his replacement offers and clearly not good enough
What on earth are you talking about? Lynch kicked 63 goals in 2019 as was our leading goalscorer comfortably, then kicked a solid 32 in the COVID shortened season. They arent remotely comparable examples.

I reckon those ripping into Rioli have got a fair point some of his performances have been insipid.

But you don’t lose ability and I still hold out some hope that he can rediscover the attack on the ball (on the ground and in the air) that he had early in his career.
IF he can find that he can be our best small forward

I reckon those ripping into Rioli have got a fair point some of his performances have been insipid.

But you don’t lose ability and I still hold out some hope that he can rediscover the attack on the ball (on the ground and in the air) that he had early in his career.
IF he can find that he can be our best small forward
nah he will never be that player again because of the 2017 gf injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like a pretty decent game in the VFL over the weekend by the numbers but a few mentioned he played on ball in the game as well

Wouldn’t be shocked if he comes straight back in

Hope they make him earn it over a few weeks. He's clearly a better player than Aarts (even I am). Need to make him hungry though.

he is no longer fast and always looks in pain . time to move on
You could be right, that injury could have impacted his speed and lateral movement. Still reckon his intensity (lack of it) is another reason he has been so poor.
Make or break year for him.

How ironic if he’s cut at the end of the year just when Juniors AFL career begins to blossom

You could be right, that injury could have impacted his speed and lateral movement. Still reckon his intensity (lack of it) is another reason he has been so poor.
Make or break year for him.

How ironic if he’s cut at the end of the year just when Juniors AFL career begins to blossom
As if we will cut Daniel Rioli🙄. Zero chance of that happening, nor should it

He’s currently out of contract but I’m tipping he’ll be recontracted well before the end of the season.
I think that’s the likely scenario. But I wouldn’t discount him moving on if he’s not getting regular opportunities. Players will always look at maximising their opportunities to extend their careers.
There’d be plenty of suitors for his services.
Having said that I hope he rediscovers his form and stays at Tigerland

What on earth are you talking about? Lynch kicked 63 goals in 2019 as was our leading goalscorer comfortably, then kicked a solid 32 in the COVID shortened season. They arent remotely comparable examples.
I was more talking about Lynch so far in 2021 , Probably could have phrased that better

Talk about living in the past. He’s been pathetic since that game but people like you think he should still get a game. Laughable.
Looks like i have more in common with the coaching staff and MC than yourself

Happy to back Daniel to play another 100 games at AFL level but if you believe he is not that quality then im happy to take your bet

I was more talking about Lynch so far in 2021 , Probably could have phrased that better
Agree on that, Lynch has been trash in 2021 so far. But 197cm 100kg KPFs is a harder thing to fill. Even out of form Lynch is much harder to replace then Rioli. He's also got more credits in the bank.

To the Rioli doubters, have a good listen to Dimmas comments about Dan at todays presser. It’s not about goals and possessions and Supercoach points, it’s about playing the role he’s selected for. And the coaching staff are very happy with how he goes about it.
Gets dropped to VFL, but it’s for a reason other than form according to the Coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back