Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Bizarre nonsense. It’s very telling that Bradkli has already liked this deluded and incoherent brain vomit doubling as a criticism of a Hawthorn fan. Like a fly to sh.t.

My brain hurts and my eyes are angry at me for reading those words.
Can someone check on him, his team lost to Melbourne yesterday.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Positives:
- Moore, he's producing big impactful moments in every game.

- CJ, not as daring as previous weeks but he continues his strong form.

- Wingard, all class. Please keep it up. We are desperate.

- Lewis, 5 contested marks is great. He can build on this.

You forgot TOB, in our skippers post game interview TOB flying for marks was the first positive he could come up with.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
It's the eye test. :D Still a tough start.

I think the bottom line just is, when you're a bonafide bottom 4 side then any schedule looks rather tough.

Eg People saying Freo in Perth is a tough game etc, serious teams in 2021 will view that much as a must win contest and a bad loss if they didn't.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think the bottom line just is, when you're a bonafide bottom 4 side then any schedule looks rather tough.

Eg People saying Freo in Perth is a tough game etc, serious teams in 2021 will view that much as a must win contest and a bad loss if they didn't.
Fremantle we play finals and wont lose a home game to a side outside the top 4.

R, I'm only quoting this to get your attention. I haven't and won't read your response for 1 reason.

You're a cultist.

It does't matter what the coach does, you'll defend him.
The fact you seem to seek out my posts about the gameplan and no one else's when there are plenty before mine shows to me that you agree there are grave concerning problems in the coaches box but you just can't accept it.

You share a striking similarity to a Scientologist who lays down enough money to gain access to the story of Xenu. They invest so much of their time and money being brainwashed into thinking that L. Ron Hubbard is a faultless and a perfect visionary that when they're exposed to his story about Xenu, they leave thinking, "What the hell did I just read?" but yet none of them leave.

Why? Because they're brainwashed. They do whatever they can to convince themselves it's everyone else but the cult leader who is wrong. Sound familiar?

The only difference between them and you is that your L. Ron Hubbard is L. Ron Clarkson.

I made the decision this year to ignore all cultists as they're the types who use quotes such as "We're just 1 or 2 players from being a contender", "We just need a contested marker..." and "...just needs one good preseason...". I fell into the trap last week, but I'm aware of my mistake and won't be making it again... I hope. I suggest you do the same regarding mine.

TO LRC! *applause*
You started your post with where are all the ppl from last week defending the game plan. I was responding to that. You were asking for ppl to respond. I am actually very objective about everything the club does including the coach. They have made some errors no doubt in team selection and at the draft and trade table of this there is no argument. I am no cultist in fact it is you who can not see the reality of where we are no game plan is going to change the way we play. If we play the way we did against freo. I see first hand a lot of things u do not see. Yet u claim me to be a cultist. You do not have all the information do not attend training and attend very few games yet claim to know the game plan. Whats the basis of this extraordinary analysis. Let me guess astrology? I mean its all about the stars aligning to your way of thinking

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Positives:
- Moore, he's producing big impactful moments in every game.

- CJ, not as daring as previous weeks but he continues his strong form.

- Wingard, all class. Please keep it up. We are desperate.

- Lewis, 5 contested marks is great. He can build on this.
hardwick also have a great season. 👍

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I havent read the rest of this post but for you to start with the game plan being the problem is really dissapointing. Because it was clear we struggled to execute a sequence of handballs and kicks all fricken day. If you cant execute the very basic skills of a game how r u going to implement a game plan. The problem is the personnel and if you werent on some crusade about the game plan and that bias you would actually see that. I am sure you will discuss some insane game plan where our forwards are taught not to lead because it fits in with ure narrative. The fact is we just cant execute properly from one end of the ground to the other. We have some young forwards that are still learning. Check the Essendon game. We atleast put a few handballs and kicks together. The players tried hard but some are looking at box hill next week as they let themselves down.

I can't figure where the execution is breaking - because it's falling over everywhere with both young and old. Kicks go astray. Handballs miss easy targets. Indecisiveness which makes me think expected options didn't present themselves so are players off the ball not running correctly? Bolton is in his first year as midfield coach. Is that what's going on?

For the last couple years it seems like you can almost see the players' minds turning over as they play. Nothing seems fluid or automatic. There are spurts of individuals performing well but few examples of the team in sync. The Geelong game was so much better than the Freo game. Did we spend all week trying to create a special game plan that was beyond the team's ability to absorb?

Dunno. But it's pretty damned frustrating.

Even if you take Shaun Burgoyne out of the equation yesterday.

Fremantle still had a team on average 1 year younger across the board and 400 or so games less experience.

They won by 15 points and it really should have been 5-6 goals.
Yes but their two best players were mundy and fyfe. Take them out the side and they are a rabble

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can't figure where the execution is breaking - because it's falling over everywhere with both young and old. Kicks go astray. Handballs miss easy targets. Indecisiveness which makes me think expected options didn't present themselves so are players off the ball not running correctly? Bolton is in his first year as midfield coach. Is that what's going on?

For the last couple years it seems like you can almost see the players' minds turning over as they play. Nothing seems fluid or automatic. There are spurts of individuals performing well but few examples of the team in sync. The Geelong game was so much better than the Freo game. Did we spend all week trying to create a special game plan that was beyond the team's ability to absorb?

A lot of personnel changes. Our youth are inexperienced and this can drag experienced players out of position etc. you become reactive as a player and then everything gets a lot harder. The only remedy is persistence and practice.

Yep frustrating we r going to be up and down with our execution. It is the way when a game plan doesnt come naturally to everyone in the side. There is no certainty and players are still learning. Its going to be frustrating. Screaming yelling frustrating but we r still fighting

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Maybe their kids are more ready? Certainly they came higher in the draft than ours for the most part. In saying that, let’s see how we are both are going later in the year once we have rotated more of our youth through the side.

most of their 21-23 year olds have played a lot more games than ours too

they're playing 4 blokes under 10 games, but one of em is 24 and 2 of the others were top 10 picks

so yeah, we haven't had access to the higher echelons of the draft the way they have, for various reasons

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Even if you take Shaun Burgoyne out of the equation yesterday.

Fremantle still had a team on average 1 year younger across the board and 400 or so games less experience.

They won by 15 points and it really should have been 5-6 goals.
Both were 24 years on average.

To me, we are trying to play a different game style to last year, and despite training it all off-season - it doesnt appear to come off naturally. I honestly believe that's why we have been starting so slow - it's like we are completely overthinking it, and it takes us to settle into the game for us to get in any sort of rhythm. Once we do find that rhythm, we've been super competitive and almost won.

I think we need to be patient. It'll come in time. I expect some absolute blow outs as the year goes on, and some cracking victories. I said that after round 1. As long as we can keep rotating kids through the team and keep a strong draft hand, that's what every poster here would have wanted at the start of year.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Yep Mundy carved us up - him and Fyfe were very influential. While worpel locked down Brayshaw it didn’t really influence the overall result as either Fyfe or Mundy got the ball out themselves or passed off to freo’s runners (cerra , serong).

We could have had Munday circa 2008/9 thereabouts. Was home sick and wanted to come back to Vic. Preferred coming to Hawks - we had other more "pressing" priorities at the time (no idea who) and missed the boat. Source on this was rock solid. Also said that when we did finally get around to chasing him, Munday had settled into life in WA and overcame his homesickness

Quacker5

Debutant
Jul 6, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think every one can abide mediocrity from unproven youth but there is a group of players who continue to be played that undeniably will not take us forward - this is the most frustrating part of selection.

Happy to take a few steps back if it means understanding the quality (or otherwise) of some of the youth on the list.

Back