Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else starting to get worried about Hartigan? He seems a big drop down from Frawley, when I was hoping he would be a slight step up.

For a huge bloke he gets out-muscled in one on ones the whole time. His leap, closing speed and turning circle are consistent with a bloke of his size.

I have no doubt we plan to move the ball faster and hit up fwd 50 leads. But the game is so fast that you hesitate for an instant and teams set up making it impossible.

I like that we are mostly avoiding the kick down the line to go sideways and stretch the defensive set up, but it can look pointless. Conversely we kick it down the line and opponents win the ball, switch inside and score. If we are going slow we need to go sideways.

But I also think we consciously don’t want to go full chaos. There is a definite coaching focus on more system and ensuring we don’t get exposed on the rebound. I don’t disagree because that is what stands up in September.

basically I reckon the problem is part personnel and part execution of the plan (related to personnel). Doesn’t mean we don’t have the personnel but they need to get better at executing and have more confidence to pull the trigger or getting better at deciding when to do it.

this will take time but I reckon we are already making progress, just not over 4 quarters.

Anyone else starting to get worried about Hartigan? He seems a big drop down from Frawley, when I was hoping he would be a slight step up.

For a huge bloke he gets out-muscled in one on ones the whole time. His leap, closing speed and turning circle are consistent with a bloke of his size.
Chip wasn't so bad after all!

We are getting what we would have expected. In a season where more goals are getting kicked, he isnt our worst by a long shot. And a rabbit puch to Hawkins head is alright in my books

I always used to give Crows supporters i know s**t about how bad he was.

Jokes on me now :(

What did you expect we were getting for a 4th rounder? Brian lake?
He’s probably outperforming what we paid for him. Bigger issue is the lack of alternatives - outside the recently drafted DGB we have not developed any kpd. Hartley is a stop gap.
If Hartigan and frost both get injured it could get very ugly.

What did you expect we were getting for a 4th rounder? Brian lake?
He’s probably outperforming what we paid for him. Bigger issue is the lack of alternatives - outside the recently drafted DGB we have not developed any kpd. Hartley is a stop gap.
If Hartigan and frost both get injured it could get very ugly.
We've tried, they've just not been any good. Brand was the last one.

Personally, I think our fully fit backline is the least of our worries. Sicily, Day to slot back in. CJ and Hardwick are on fire at the moment. DGB in the wings and Greaves to hopefully get another shot soon. I think this all but covers an ok at best Hartigan, who hasn't really been that bad.

He's a borderline AFL KPD. If we are going to be a serious team he will not be playing. But we don't have anyone else at the moment so he's just a placeholder and we have to hope he can just do a job. He's got nothing on Frawley.

So after 2 losses where we were smashed for inside 50s by 10+ in both games, Mitch Lewis is rated as elite (top 10% of KPFs) for:
- Disposals
- Kicks
- Inside 50s
- Contested possessions
- Score involvements
- Marks
- Contested marks
- Pressure acts
- Frees for

And above average (top 35% of KPFs) for:
- Handballs
- Ground ball gets
- Goals
- Scoring shots
- Tackles
- Tackles inside 50
- Metres gained

Imagine if we could manage more than 45 inside 50s in a game...

He's 22, 198cm, close to 100kg, a training workhorse and has only played 24 games. If anyone wants to come join me on the Mitch-Lewis-will-kick-500-goals bandwagon, I'll be waiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More concerned about Frost to be honest. Yes he works hard and gives his all. Just starting to make more brain fades in the last 2 games.

So after 2 losses where we were smashed for inside 50s by 10+ in both games, Mitch Lewis is rated as elite (top 10% of KPFs) for:
- Disposals
- Kicks
- Inside 50s
- Contested possessions
- Score involvements
- Marks
- Contested marks
- Pressure acts
- Frees for

- Handballs
- Ground ball gets
- Goals
- Scoring shots
- Tackles
- Tackles inside 50
- Metres gained

He's 22, 198cm, close to 100kg, a training workhorse and has only played 24 games. If anyone wants to come join me on the Mitch-Lewis-will-kick-500-goals bandwagon, I'll be waiting.
5 contested marks against Freo. Huge.

He'd benefit from some faster, lower entries to him out on the lead. Currently our forward movement is pretty stagnant and so he doesn't have much clear space to lead into. Given O'Brien is unlikely to actually take the mark I'd like to see him lead early and drag a defender or two away and create a wake of space for Lewis to follow through. Similar to what Roughy used to do for Buddy

Reckon Lewis is a way off being elite but encouraging signs from about half time in the cats game and yesterday. Looks very handy one on one and surprisingly good up the ground as is a good target. Now just needs some quick ball movement.

- Disposals
- Kicks
- Inside 50s
- Contested possessions
- Score involvements
- Marks
- Contested marks
- Pressure acts
- Frees for

- Handballs
- Ground ball gets
- Goals
- Scoring shots
- Tackles
- Tackles inside 50
- Metres gained

Love it.

He needs a partner in crime. Stat.

**looking at you Kosi and Jeka**

I'm not, this is exactly what I expected, an honest battler that tries hard but obviously isn't that talented.

5 contested marks against Freo. Huge.

He'd benefit from some faster, lower entries to him out on the lead. Currently our forward movement is pretty stagnant and so he doesn't have much clear space to lead into. Given O'Brien is unlikely to actually take the mark I'd like to see him lead early and drag a defender or two away and create a wake of space for Lewis to follow through. Similar to what Roughy used to do for Buddy

For sure. We don't really have an elite ball user through the middle (including the wings) other than Wingard (not a laser kick but quick and good decisions) when he's there. It has consistently broken our possession chains like you've pointed out. When Mitchell and O'Meara decide to be sharp, we've really dominated play. But it's only really happening for a quarter per game. Crossing my fingers that Downie can provide some laser balls through a wing before long.

If we're not breaking even for inside 50s, then we can't give Kosi or Jeka (or even TOB) a real chance to be an effective second tall.

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen much criticism of Phillip's kicking in this thread. I thought he had some absolute horrific kicks that cost us a lot. Two that spring to mind are the shanked set shot at goal and another shank while kicking up the corridor that resulted in a bad turnover.

Just some really bad skill errors from a senior player taking routine kicks with plenty of time and space to get them right. I can accept that not every kick is going to hit a target, but the kicks themselves at least need to be executed well enough to give them a chance of being effective.

Downie should be a big consideration for replacing him this week.

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen much criticism of Phillip's kicking in this thread. I thought he had some absolute horrific kicks that cost us a lot. Two that spring to mind are the shanked set shot at goal and another shank while kicking up the corridor that resulted in a bad turnover.

Just some really bad skill errors from a senior player taking routine kicks with plenty of time and space to get them right. I can accept that not every kick is going to hit a target, but the kicks themselves at least need to be executed well enough to give them a chance of being effective.

Downie should be a big consideration for replacing him this week.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'm not complaining as we got him for pick 65 and he'll probably play 100 games for us, but you can see why the Pies gave him up for pocket change.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'm not complaining as we got him for pick 65 and he'll probably play 100 games for us, but you can see why the Pies gave him up for pocket change.
Yeah I also have no problem with the price we paid, still a bargain. But I just wonder what happened to pre-season Phillips who was a laser kick. Perhaps just not as good under the pressure of a real AFL game?

Benefit of the doubt, maybe as a former Collingwood player he's still adapting to not playing at the MCG every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back