Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never really been a fan of Goody as our coach but I think he is now delegating more to his assistants and actually listening to them, instead of trying to do everything himself.
This setup seems to be on the right track so if we make finals this year I would be happy to see him stay until his contract expires.

The assumptions are incredible. For all we know Yzes a drunk idiot and Chocos senile but they'll get the credit lol.
Same as last year was all Goody's fault and any assistant coach who wasn't a good player.

When you dribble utter s**t for four years prior in your press conferences it comes with the territory. ;)

When you dribble utter sh*t for four years prior in your press conferences it comes with the territory. ;)
* oath he's got the personality of a piece of balsa wood but it's a bloody thankless task when you get all the blame for us being s**t, then the credit goes to the assistants when ya good even though most coaches have nothing to do with the tactics lol

Ed Langdon had some pretty amazing things to say about Choco in the HS on Sunday

That s**t makes me wanna throw up. Was listening to Adam Simpson saying the Eagles struggled last year because they were such a family club and couldn't include everyone last year.. the *. Maybe if you concentrated less on being a community out reach program and more on kicking and marking the ball you wouldn't be s**t.

Maybe I'm old school now 😅

The thing I’ve been critical about with Goody, is that he’s never coached a plan ‘B’ into the team.

Whether we are playing well or not, if the opposition kick a few in a row, we have never sat back or slowed the game down.

This year is the first time I’m really seeing it, and it’s no coincidence that our defence is actually our strongest line.

Goody said he's obsessed with kicking and kicking techniques. Specifically trains the boys.
That will never work, when has kicking ever played a major role in Australian rules football. The frightening thing is Goodwin isn’t obsessed with it

The side looks and feels different. Jobe Watson actually made some good points in comparison to the Cats. We look like we are enjoying our footy and we get around and celebrate each little win. I don't think it's coincidence with Choco and Yze coming on board. Slight changes or new voices might have been all the group needed to get into that space. Let's hope it lasts all season and we can stay relatively injury free and we'll be thereabouts..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The side looks and feels different. Jobe Watson actually made some good points in comparison to the Cats. We look like we are enjoying our footy and we get around and celebrate each little win. I don't think it's coincidence with Choco and Yze coming on board. Slight changes or new voices might have been all the group needed to get into that space. Let's hope it lasts all season and we can stay relatively injury free and we'll be thereabouts..
Yeah it's a bit new-agey but definitely helps get the energy up in a team if you always get around each other for goals, tackles, spoils etc. Lever did that plenty down back and everyone got around the goalkickers. I like it.

Jobe Watson was actually not painful to listen to. Gave decent insight and didnt fall into that blokey james brayshaw bullshit

My favourite Jobe commentary yesterday was when he said that "it probably appears cold and windy to viewers at home and it is cold and windy here"

Yes I'm serious. Sometime during the second quarter IIRC.

When you dribble utter sh*t for four years prior in your press conferences it comes with the territory. ;)
Neelds press conferences were always entertaining. I'd be on the edge of my seat just waiting for him to pull out a sub-machine gun from below the desk and just start firing wildly into the media concourse like he was Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Goody's pressers by comparison are the dullest affairs in the world. Been media trained so hard he is basically just a soundboard at this point but never thought it said anything about his ability to coach.

Neelds press conferences were always entertaining. I'd be on the edge of my seat just waiting for him to pull out a sub-machine gun from below the desk and just start firing wildly into the media concourse like he was Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Goody's pressers by comparison are the dullest affairs in the world. Been media trained so hard he is basically just a soundboard at this point but never thought it said anything about his ability to coach.

He's lucky the media here treat coaches with kid gloves the majority of the time. Especially straight after a game, seems they are afraid to ask the hard questions or call the coach out on s**t answers.

The assumptions are incredible. For all we know Yzes a drunk idiot and Chocos senile but they'll get the credit lol.
Same as last year was all Goody's fault and any assistant coach who wasn't a good player.
And tbf to Goody last year we got ****ed around probably the most of any club and still only missed the finals by half a game

I mean we had to play our opening game in Perth half an hour after they were getting told the country and league was getting shut down

We had a game postponed because of a false covid test by an opposition player

Along with Essendon we were the only other club that didn't get a planned bye because of the above mentioned

And if you look at it Collingwood and St Kilda both won the elimination finals and they were teams we beat during the year. Its funny how if possibly one of the above doesn't happen, we potentially sneak into the finals (and maybe even win one) and the narrative around Goody all pre season is totally differenet

Ed Langdon had some pretty amazing things to say about Choco in the HS on Sunday

They asked Kane Cornes about him this morning and he could not have been a bigger praise for Choco. His ebnergy he brings to clubs and some of the fun activities he has for players to improve their skills rather than the usual drills

He's lucky the media here treat coaches with kid gloves the majority of the time. Especially straight after a game, seems they are afraid to ask the hard questions or call the coach out on sh*t answers.
Yeah agree he's never really been tested, so hasn't had to adapt. It's all big club now where the coaches diffuse any difficult question with a joke. Miss the days of Malthouse and Lyon ripping into reporters everytime they ask an antagonising question.

A lot of us have said at some point over the last 2 years that Goodwin is a poor game day coach. Perhaps one of the coaching ins this year has made some difference to that, with Goody on the bench and someone else (Yze?) watching from the box.

There certainly does seem to be far more rotations made throughout the game with different midfield and forward setups, even if just slight changes from time to time. Gawn being used differently depending on the state of the game etc Whatever they are doing it's obviously working a lot better this year then just sticking with virtually the same player positions for the entire match.

We seem to have a better understanding of the flow of the game - when we need to go fast and when we need to slow it down. Probably a combination of maturity and more trust in the system/coaches.

Even when we were a decent team in 2018 I don't think we were a smart team. We just blew teams away with our clearance/heavy scoring but still leaked goals relatively easily.

Having a strong defense is much more sustainable than all out attack. We can wear teams down now and grind wins out without having to spend heaps of tickets going full throttle.

Our scoring potential goes up another notch with Ben Brown and an inform Weid in the side. One thing I hope doesn't happen is we lose our forward 50 pressure with those two coming back, as Tmac/Jackson/Fritsch have been putting on very good pressure for the talls and BBB isn't known for his tackling.

A lot of us have said at some point over the last 2 years that Goodwin is a poor game day coach. Perhaps one of the coaching ins this year has made some difference to that, with Goody on the bench and someone else (Yze?) watching from the box.

There certainly does seem to be far more rotations made throughout the game with different midfield and forward setups, even if just slight changes from time to time. Gawn being used differently depending on the state of the game etc Whatever they are doing it's obviously working a lot better this year then just sticking with virtually the same player positions for the entire match.
Maybe Goody just never learnt to use the telephone?

This is the guessing I'm talking about, it's actually more likely that others were in charge of the game plan and opinions on match day strategies.
Brisbane were incredible last year and Fagan has said a bunch of times he has nothing to do with the the gameplan or positional moves. It's not 2004 anymore.

You cant make gameday changes when the players aren't mature or good enough to enact them. How do you pass a message across to 18 players on the field? Bloody difficult. It's more like you have leaders in each area who you trust to know when it's time to change and they can talk to blokes around them

For instance tell me a great game day coach who isn't a good coach overall though ...

I'll wait...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back