Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So after 2 losses where we were smashed for inside 50s by 10+ in both games, Mitch Lewis is rated as elite (top 10% of KPFs) for:
- Disposals
- Kicks
- Inside 50s
- Contested possessions
- Score involvements
- Marks
- Contested marks
- Pressure acts
- Frees for

And above average (top 35% of KPFs) for:
- Handballs
- Ground ball gets
- Goals
- Scoring shots
- Tackles
- Tackles inside 50
- Metres gained

Imagine if we could manage more than 45 inside 50s in a game...

He's 22, 198cm, close to 100kg, a training workhorse and has only played 24 games. If anyone wants to come join me on the Mitch-Lewis-will-kick-500-goals bandwagon, I'll be waiting.
I’m on as well, looks leaner this year also.

So after 2 losses where we were smashed for inside 50s by 10+ in both games, Mitch Lewis is rated as elite (top 10% of KPFs) for:
- Disposals
- Kicks
- Inside 50s
- Contested possessions
- Score involvements
- Marks
- Contested marks
- Pressure acts
- Frees for

And above average (top 35% of KPFs) for:
- Handballs
- Ground ball gets
- Goals
- Scoring shots
- Tackles
- Tackles inside 50
- Metres gained

Imagine if we could manage more than 45 inside 50s in a game...

He's 22, 198cm, close to 100kg, a training workhorse and has only played 24 games. If anyone wants to come join me on the Mitch-Lewis-will-kick-500-goals bandwagon, I'll be waiting.

I've been on the train that he's as good as any young KPF in the league for a while now. His best string of games is still close to on par with every other KPF in the league within a year of him.

He's done no favours by our midfield.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
I've been on the train that he's as good as any young KPF in the league for a while now. His best string of games is still close to on par with every other KPF in the league within a year of him.

He's done no favours by our midfield.

I was being a little OTT to generate some discussion and positivity but I basically agree with you. Of the guys around Lewis' age and experience, you have McKay, Naughton, the King brothers that have probably shown a bit more at the same stage of development. But the gap isn't that big. He has the tools to be a long term 2+ goal a game key forward. That's something to be excited about, even if people are a bit down on him due to last season. But it was short games in a crap team coming off an injury. Call it second (proper) year blues. He's come out of the blocks with 2 games better than anything he did last year and I'm quite bullish.

Last edited:

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I also have no problem with the price we paid, still a bargain. But I just wonder what happened to pre-season Phillips who was a laser kick. Perhaps just not as good under the pressure of a real AFL game?

Benefit of the doubt, maybe as a former Collingwood player he's still adapting to not playing at the MCG every week.
Not getting the same space and forwards don’t have the same space to lead into. He is solid and flexible and decent overhead. Make a couple of risky kicks to him look ok because he held a strong mark. I’m happy we have him.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Screenshot_20210412-170459_Chrome.jpg

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not getting the same space and forwards don’t have the same space to lead into. He is solid and flexible and decent overhead. Make a couple of risky kicks to him look ok because he held a strong mark. I’m happy we have him.
I'm not sure why people keep saying "I can see why Collingwood let him go" the same Collingwood that marched Treloar out the door for peanuts while still paying 300k of his contract, the same Colllingwood that let Stepenson go for practically nothing.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Amazing effort from Mundy to still be dominating games at 35.

Honestly he would be just what we need in our midfield at theoment, a mid with genuine size who is also a great user of the ball.

Bit surprised the Chad didn't get a vote but CJ keeps backing up week after week which is a hell of an effort by the young lad.

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope the club took something from this outing. I found it rather depressing myself. Way too much like groundhog day - O'Brien dropped marks, Howe made critical errors, there was way too much general fumbling, our tall backs were beaten in some decisive one on ones, we battled on but never looked likely. In other words we looked like a bottom 4 team with some serious gaps in our list.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Amazing effort from Mundy to still be dominating games at 35.

Honestly he would be just what we need in our midfield at theoment, a mid with genuine size who is also a great user of the ball.

Bit surprised the Chad didn't get a vote but CJ keeps backing up week after week which is a hell of an effort by the young lad.
That moment where Chad threw his head back looking for a free was pretty poor, might've cost him a vote or two!

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope the club took something from this outing. I found it rather depressing myself. Way too much like groundhog day - O'Brien dropped marks, Howe made critical errors, there was way too much general fumbling, our tall backs were beaten in some decisive one on ones, we battled on but never looked likely. In other words we looked like a bottom 4 team with some serious gaps in our list.
Really? Take out one mistake at the end of third a quarter, where dominated and we probably win the game. Also what mistakes did Howe make?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I'm not sure why people keep saying "I can see why Collingwood let him go" the same Collingwood that marched Treloar out the door for peanuts while still paying 300k of his contract, the same Colllingwood that let Stepenson go for practically nothing.

All my Collingwood mates were actually gutted about losing those 2 though.

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
As we navigate our way through this rebuild player I don't mind players copping the odd fine or suspension. Good to see them frustrated with how scrappy we were.

Much prefer it over the laughing and joking with their opponents we saw last year when we were 5 goals down.

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Scrimshaw
Apologies to Howe if I pinged the wrong player. Double apologies really, because getting down to the forward half to create a marking option was a gutsy, hard running effort.

Still disappointed by the performance. The margin was flattering and mainly attributable to Fremantle's inaccuracy (62 to 45 inside 50s). The only real positives I take from the game are the consistent quality efforts from Jiath and the promise of Moore. The rest was stuff we already know, except maybe it is Hartigan or Hartley, not both.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
We got 4 reports and they got nothing. I guess Jeff shouldn't have said they are discriminating against us. They certainly whacked us for it.

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After quarter time we provided a reasonable contest. There are elements of our play that need addressing; allowing the opposition to waltz out of the back line after a behind has been scored is infuriating. We had several incidences where the player meant to be defending the mark was running AWAY from the player with the ball. And this constant lateral movement of the ball must stop; it’s getting us into so much trouble with turn overs. If it comes to that I’d much rather see a player send a long kick down the line. Fix these two areas of the game and we‘re half way there.

As much as he annoys the crap out of me - it was the lateral ball movement that was also driving Brown nuts - just couldn’t get his head around why they would be doing it

Still think our midfield is the biggest problem - it’s just not functioning at all. Did we have one centre clearance that wasn’t fumbled.

As much as he annoys the crap out of me - it was the lateral ball movement that was also driving Brown nuts - just couldn’t get his head around why they would be doing it

Still think our midfield is the biggest problem - it’s just not functioning at all. Did we have one centre clearance that wasn’t fumbled.
The lateral movement was an attempt to switch the ball to the fat side of the ground so that our forwards can have more space to work with requires the rest of the team to respond quickly to move the ball forward kicking it sideways for it to be a kick down the line or worse a turnover can seem like a fruitless exercise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back