Preview Round 5 Port vs Carlton @ MCG 6.55pm Sat 17/4/21

Remove this Banner Ad

Hows people attitudes around dropping this one... I know we have injuries etc, but we overcame a very good Richmond side in a far better skilled higher intensity game that Carlton, who stumbled and fumbled about over the ruckless suns. We should be winning this game comfortably even without Butters and Duursma. Extra days break too.

Port by 5 goals + for me.

It's the trust factor with Hinkley that gets tested with games like these.

We seem more dependable and consistent, but the West Coast game confirmed we still have days where we fail to show up and compete.

This is a danger game, our games against Carlton in Melbourne with their umpiring rattles us.

Although stiffer tests await Jacob Weitering and Liam Jones, Carlton's key defensive combination did another stellar job against Gold Coast on Saturday night. Weitering kept young gun Ben King quiet, while Jones patrolled the air with aplomb, hauling in 10 marks of the slippery Sherrin like it was a dry night. The pair gathered an incredible 25 intercept possessions between them and gave the Suns little chance. They must surely now be one of the best duos in the competition and will get another good test against Port Adelaide's tall timber at the MCG next Saturday night.

It's the trust factor with Hinkley that gets tested with games like these.

We seem more dependable and consistent, but the West Coast game confirmed we still have days where we fail to show up and compete.

This is a danger game, our games against Carlton in Melbourne with their umpiring rattles us.

Mind you West Toast didn't back it up either.

Although stiffer tests await Jacob Weitering and Liam Jones, Carlton's key defensive combination did another stellar job against Gold Coast on Saturday night. Weitering kept young gun Ben King quiet, while Jones patrolled the air with aplomb, hauling in 10 marks of the slippery Sherrin like it was a dry night. The pair gathered an incredible 25 intercept possessions between them and gave the Suns little chance. They must surely now be one of the best duos in the competition and will get another good test against Port Adelaide's tall timber at the MCG next Saturday night.

makes me happier we have 3 talls now up forward.

Dixon Marshall and MG are big enough to make them accountable and mobile enough to run them off their feet

From memory, Charlie and Todd played really well vs Carlton last season.

Charlie should've kicked 5 or 6, ended with 3.4 i think. But took several big contested marks and looked super dangerous throughout. Todd missed that sitter with a minute to go but his lead up work and delivery inside 50 was fantastic that game.

Hope they can put in similar (but straighter goal kicking!) this game.

Think we may cover the loss of Butters in the middle by giving Gray and particularly Houston more mins in there (which we can do now with Jones coming in at HB).

Did any of you watch the Blues/Suns match? IMO it was the worst match of the season so far. After some of the other matches of the round, it was like watching two amo teams having a run around.

Added to that, the Suns were limping around without a ruckman.

I know we have some hurt players, but seriously, if we cant beat them, then it raises more that a big question mark over Port, and our aspirations of playing in a GF

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the part where their current ladder position of SEVENTH is their highest since 2013...

After watching Carlton against The Suns you would be thinking it’s a 10 goal plus win but maybe the ground wasn’t up to scratch and that’s just the standard of game the Gold Coast offers up.

Honestly can't remember the last time we played a Saturday night game at the MCG... Going to say maybe Richmond in 2015 when Howard played ruck all night and we won? Really important that we put up a good show there.
We're getting a good fixture this year, plenty of primetime games so far, that's the benefit of being minor premiers.

Always like to have a peruse of oppos match threads to see where there heads are at and outside opinion of where we are at, blows my mind how many perennial under achievers have such confidence, yet we as a supporter base are so bomb scared to be confident even cocky when we are within our rights to be.
I usually do with three exceptions- them Adelaide & West Coast.

I stay clear of those three boards.

True, would love a few Friday night games though and a showdown on Friday night for once would be nice.
It's much more enjoyable sitting down at the Adelaide Oval on a Friday night under the lights than on a Sunday arvo as is so often the case.

Honestly can't remember the last time we played a Saturday night game at the MCG... Going to say maybe Richmond in 2016 when Howard played ruck all night and we won? Really important that we put up a good show there.

You could probably count on one hand the number of night games we've ever played at the 'G.

There was a Friday night game late in 2004 v Collingwood.

A Saturday night final v Collingwood and a Friday night final v Geelong, both in 2013.

That Richmond game you mentioned in 2016.

Any others?

You could probably count on one hand the number of night games we've ever played at the 'G.

A Saturday night final v Collingwood and a Friday night final v Geelong, both in 2013.

Any others?

Port vs Essendon Friday night 1997? Lol

Any others?
Essendon on a Friday night back in 1997 when we smashed them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back