Society/Culture The 12 Steps... To spotting conspiracy theories.

Remove this Banner Ad

I get your point and no it is not possible, but I'm not sure you agree that at times on a specific issue(s) there is a shadowy elite who are either attempting to control an issue or who in the past did in fact control a specific issue
What does "shadowy" mean? Government PR people?

The shadow gov. Referencing the 'double' gov.

The people behind the scenes that don't change regardless of democracy

Think an Australian council CEO but at higher levels
Public servants?

Cliff notes please, I caught the first paragraph than gave up with ads covering my screen.
"It is 20 years since Jon Ronson wrote Them, his eye-popping investigation into conspiracy theorists. Now, in a world awash with tales of paedophile elites and puppet masters, is he any closer to understanding it all?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"It is 20 years since Jon Ronson wrote Them, his eye-popping investigation into conspiracy theorists. Now, in a world awash with tales of paedophile elites and puppet masters, is he any closer to understanding it all?"
I said I caught the first paragraph homie. This forum is spammed with Guardian clickbait. The same way that you probably cbf going through a Dailymail article or nutjob YouTube vid, that's how many feel with Guardian links offered with no context.

I said I caught the first paragraph homie. This forum is spammed with Guardian clickbait. The same way that you probably cbf going through a Dailymail article or nutjob YouTube vid, that's how many feel with Guardian links offered with no context.
It's an article of interest to people in the thread. If I was trying to engage in an argument with that article as evidence, you might have a point. But I'm not so you don't.

Title. Extract. Thread context. Plenty there for you to get your head around.

You can't concentrate for more than a few paragraphs? Try reading more and your attention span will increase.

People gravitate towards conspiracy theories out of a sense of powerlessness in a world where we once felt empowered (note that they have only truly taken off in the past half century). The frustrating thing is there's enough wack things that are correct that we don't really need to get to inventing things. And unfortunately some of these real things are dismissed as conspiracy theorising despite their reality.

For example, the article points out the conspiracy theory of an elite pedophile ring - but we know this exists, that Epstein was a major part in supplying numerous powerful people with underage sex slaves. So yes, QAnon is crazy, but the elevation of its story does serve to undermine the reality that is documented (anyone who thinks Donald Trump is the heroic saviour in the fight against this is believing in some pretty crazy s**t). And with the Epstein stuff, there are a range of facts that do make the person saying them sound like a conspiratorial madman - that the last person Robert Maxwell spoke to before mysteriously falling off his boat was the stepfather of Antony Blinken, that the headmaster who hired Epstein to be a maths teacher despite him having no qualifications was the father of William Barr, and was also a science fiction author and wrote a 1970s novel about hedonistic oligarchic aliens who kidnap human child sex slaves.

In this sense, conspiracy theories are a disappointing distraction, but I'm not convinced they're the terrible menace to society they're viewed as. And sometimes they are found to be true - the CIA was experimenting to see if they could control people's minds, various lies have been used to justify wrongful wars, large corporations have knowingly poisoned ordinary people. And it would be foolish to believe all of these events are solely historical examples and that nothing of the sort goes on today. But when people don't understand politics and ideology but do know they're probably getting screwed, you start getting a wild rush of stories that don't make sense, like that global warming or coronavirus are lies.

Hey Hey Chief has got a thing going on... thought I was the only prolific poster with nothing much to say...
Dagwood dog.. or handlebar Harry... get on board..

For example, the article points out the conspiracy theory of an elite pedophile ring - but we know this exists, that Epstein was a major part in supplying numerous powerful people with underage sex slaves.
Yes but that’s just crime.

It’s not a powerful group controlling human trafficking AND global interest rates AND vaccine supply AND free energy all to further their desire for human flesh.

It’s not a powerful group controlling human trafficking AND global interest rates AND vaccine supply AND free energy all to further their desire for human flesh.

Why are you combining these things?

There could be a conspiracy of people in positions of power to facilitate child sexual abuse. There could be a separate conspiracy of people who manipulate international money markets. There could be another conspiracy of people with huge wealth and power who, without ever being elected, have greater influence on global health policies than elected governments. There could be powerful people whose collective interest lies in falsely promoting the threat from foreign regimes.

Why are you combining these things?
Because that is a mark of a conspiracy theory.

Conspiracies happen.

But linking them up and attributing them to a shadowy cabal of rich Jews is ridiculous.

There is no master plan. Just a bunch of arseholes competing with each other.

Because that is a mark of a conspiracy theory.

Conspiracies happen.

But linking them up and attributing them to a shadowy cabal of rich Jews is ridiculous.

There is no master plan. Just a bunch of arseholes competing with each other.

Ironic. Conflating unrelated things is the hallmark of a conspiracy theory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back