Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

What is regarded as a pressure act?
A good example is when Brodie Smith is rewarded with a HTB in the last quarter against Cunnington. Cunnington appeared likely to still be able to push the ball out and continue play, but McHenry came in very quickly to shut this down and assist the main tackler. These are acts that most people forget about, but they’re definitely important to keeping the ball going forward in your favour and making the opposition 2nd guess decisions when they have it.

Needs to do less dumb stuff. It's a bit small man syndrome at times with the frees he gives away. He's not taking enough wickets to be giving away so many free hits.

Also needs to have more impact, which he may develop. I like his effort, but Petrenkos don't make it in good teams. So hopefully he can harness his energy and use it in smart ways.

Also needs to add 15 m to his kicking ability. Can't be dropping short from 35 out.

Ned needs to be the angry ant without the tough guy act. Only ten games, but he needs to smarten up.

Do love the way he’s always buzzing around harassing and hopefully he learns when and when not to be a doofus.

Not sure if it’s a composure issue but some of his passes by foot are way off.

At the moment all his good stuff is negated by the bad. Hope he tips the scales in favour of the good.

For some reason I can’t get the Age article link was written 2019 and well describes fwds like Liam Ryan
It’s continued on our small fwds are there to provide pressure out of the fwd line
My Grandfather was there for scoring goals and a rover
Times have changed
The game has changed
Oh my Godfather!

The answer to your question might have two parts.

- Is it good enough to carve out an AFL career? Maybe.

- Is it good enough considering his draft position? Maybe not.

I’m on the fence with Ned also, but the second point isn’t his fault or concern and he is very early on in his AFL journey. It would be nice to see more polish, but don’t write him off just yet.

I'd argue that his draft position is now irrelevant. Our list includes McHenry; it doesn't include Sam Sturt, or Duursma, or other players that were still on the draft table when we chose Ned.

The question "Is he good enough to carve out an AFL career?" is the only relevant issue. I like a few things about his game and think he'll get there, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. Hopefully he'll learn not to get sucked in to the silly stuff so easily, but 2021 Ned is a major improvement on the 2020 model.

Ned is lucky I'm not the coach. I would've pulled him aside and tore him a new one for all that silly crap he was doing yesterday. I'm not at all convinced about him yet but hopefully he can mature shortly and be a decent contributor.

Ned is lucky I'm not the coach. I would've pulled him aside and tore him a new one for all that silly crap he was doing yesterday. I'm not at all convinced about him yet but hopefully he can mature shortly and be a decent contributor.
I'm sure he's been told that it's part of his role

Get in the face of the opposition, make them hate you, get under their skin. He hasn't quite found where the line is yet

Ned needs to be the angry ant without the tough guy act. Only ten games, but he needs to smarten up.

Do love the way he’s always buzzing around harassing and hopefully he learns when and when not to be a doofus.

Not sure if it’s a composure issue but some of his passes by foot are way off.

At the moment all his good stuff is negated by the bad. Hope he tips the scales in favour of the good.
Bloody Red Bull

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get in the face of the opposition, make them hate you, get under their skin. He hasn't quite found where the line is yet
To be fair that's a relaiable way to get a guaranteed 40-70 game AFL career at Adelaide over the last decade. Which is way better than most.

Its also a good way to retire from the AFL, unwanted by any other clubs, at 24.

I feel that we may have botched his development. Who the hell is instructing him to niggle his opponents to the point we're giving the ball back with needless free kicks? Why can't he execute basic kicks when his skills looked okay in the SANFL?

I understand that but when you just do stupid s**t and give away 50's and free kicks that achieves nothing. Hopefully he's been told to pull his head in.

Ned was productively involved in a few fast breaks from defence, making good position on the wing and using the ball intelligently

In position at the foot of each forward marking contest

Hustle after every opposition rebound

His mistakes are usually errors of trying to do something and getting it wrong - he’s not sitting back waiting for the game to happen

Willing to accept the bad with the good for a 10 gamer.

To be fair that's a relaiable way to get a guaranteed 40-70 game AFL career at Adelaide over the last decade. Which is way better than most.

Its also a good way to retire from the AFL, unwanted by any other clubs, at 24.
No player at Adelaide has done anything like this, ever

Who would the most niggling player in our history be?

Yep, understand that. But you either have it or you don’t, and I’m not seeing many lasting AFL qualities. Fair?

And I never said this was it. I said if this is it. So if McHenry in 4 years time is just a scraper and a hustler while still having these same flaws, is it good enough?
Could quite easily have said the same thing about patrick dangerfield after 10 games.. undiciplined, erratic and prone to brain farts..

patrick turned out alright.

No player at Adelaide has done anything like this, ever

Who would the most niggling player in our history be?
Nobody has been as egregious as McHenry. But Adelaide have had some sort of "non-stastical small forward whose main job it is to annoy the opposition" since Sanderson moved Johncock into that role in 2012. They've just been better at staying the right side of the rules/avoiding the umpires gaze.

Riley Knight would be the closest to McHenry. Particularly in 2017.

He had maybe one free payed against him yesterday, feels like you are somewhat exagerrating here....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back