Player Watch Ned McHenry

Yep, understand that. But you either have it or you don’t, and I’m not seeing many lasting AFL qualities. Fair?

And I never said this was it. I said if this is it. So if McHenry in 4 years time is just a scraper and a hustler while still having these same flaws, is it good enough?
He's no John Meesen... ;)

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Looked at those first 8 rounds. You're very much on the money there Bicks.
Before my time on Big Footy but I'd hazard a guess that some were saying similar re Dangerfield, 1st round pick etc etc etc.

Before my time on Big Footy but I'd hazard a guess that some were saying similar re Dangerfield, 1st round pick etc etc etc.
I reckon Ebert may have got a mention...

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
In mindset, yes.. definately different players.

but early days dangerfield was a very raw product that did some ridiculously erratic sh*t.

Geezuz, we are talking about a bloody 10 game player here..

not sure why everyone has this expectation that every single player that comes in and doesnt perform like a polished 150 game player from game 1 should be immediately dumped..
This comparison doesn't work. Dangerfield had the freakish athletic traits to offset his rough edges. McHenry doesn't.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
And as nuffie as a response as could be expected. If he fails the eye test, then it's because you have sh*t eyes.

A small forward has three jobs. To score, to set up scoring opportunities and to defend. McHenry, this season, is elite in two of those three facets. It's just not the spectacular goals so the mouthbreathers don't get it.

that’s not exactly first round, super draft territory though is it?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Third year in the system as a first round pick in a super draft. Its not looking good for him and Chayce.
Super draft in the top 10 or so but apart from Xavier Duursma, James Rowbottom and of late Sam Sturt taken after Ned it gets a bit skinny after that.

Last edited:
He had 6 frees against in yesterday's game.

Got pinged for incorrect disposal a number of times. Needs to clean that up.

McAdam's clangers were worse IMO. One of them directly cost Ned a goal, and another cost Tex an almost certain goal.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Thought he was good against Sydney.

Not good on the weekend.

I'm not sure what his elite talent is that will set him apart from others, other than his endurance.

Early days still given his injuries

hippyhippy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ned is lucky we are winning .. he is getting carried IMHO. If we lost a few he would be amongst the first to be dropped. I would put pedler in neds position instantly and he would be more effective even not 100% fit

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Had more frees against than he did kicks.
7 score involvements bettered only by Walker (11), Schoenberg (9), Sholl and O'Brien (8), he did plenty wrong but also did quite a few good things which are conveniently overlooked. Rated elite by the AFL in both pressure acts and score involvements. On par with Rory Sloane at an average of 21.5 pressure acts/game over their careers and only bettered by 1 teammate Sam Berry at an extraordinary 26.5 over his 4 AFL games, those 3 are streets ahead of anyone else in the team. Looking at the pressure stats over the career of all Crows players you'd have to say we appear to be pretty ordinary in that facet of the game over time.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I feel that we may have botched his development. Who the hell is instructing him to niggle his opponents to the point we're giving the ball back with needless free kicks? Why can't he execute basic kicks when his skills looked okay in the SANFL?
I'm not sure that's a development issue.

He just gets excited when on the big stage.

If he was a dog, he would be a small yappy dog that wets himself when guests come round.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Ned is lucky we are winning .. he is getting carried IMHO. If we lost a few he would be amongst the first to be dropped. I would put pedler in neds position instantly and he would be more effective even not 100% fit
Sure, he definately needs to improve several parts of his game but...

we pretty much won the game against the suns due to his desperation and never give in attitude in the final quarter the week before..

10 games in ffs...
If we can put up with 200+ games of utter mediocrity from DMAC.. then I’m sure we can afford to give McHenry the benefit of the doubt and another 30-40 games to mature and improve his game and prove he’s worthy of a permanent spot in the team..

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ned seems to be our whipping boy

For many years we played soft and vinalla players, and now we have a player that plays a bit if unsociable footy we continue to whip him

There is going to be times where Ned gives away frees but we want him to play that unsociable style footy

His role in the team is also one that he is not going to get high possessions, its about pressure, being a pest and taking opportunities

I think Ned is building his role nicely, like all inexperienced players he will have his up and down games but the team needs his unsociable footy as it sparks others to play the same way

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back