Review Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda - Rd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Still feeling this one hahah

Being a Melbourne fan, I've been at my fair share of horrid games over the last 25 years...

From memory, this would probably be top 3 most hated...

Top one obviously being the 2005 GF and also that sh*t show we lost against Carlton in 2014(?) where we blew a 5 goal lead in the last 5 minutes and lost by under a goal.

Probably didn't help I had a Saints flog being a flog next to me

We have no campaigner about us...we are too nice.
Same here - I have seen plenty of capitulations. But few when we had it in the bag and choked under pressure.

Saturday just goes to show you why Simmo and Mc have stuck with Petruccelle. He doesn't need to kick 4 each week but its for him to be involved in the game and play with the same desire he did on saturday. He just looked very hungry to win on saturday wasn't just at the rights spots to crumb but he went in hard for the ball but also provided many follow up efforts.

Don't think the round 1 loss that year was a shock. We were a middling side expected to drop a bit coming into 2018. Sydney hadn't started their descent.

I see what you're saying about making finals but tbh it's not really easier. Otherwise Fremantle wouldn't miss so much, right? The argument that Vic sides get a heap of neutral games doesn't wash with me. Big deal if you face another Vic side. You're playing at home, often weeks on end. If you're a decent team, you win against the non-decent teams. And you can then load up to have a big crack, whether it be a big away game or a decent team coming to play at your ground. I still remember 2019 where Richmond rested Dusty against Carlton, knowing they have the quality to win, so they could load up for the Eagles the following week at the MCG, knowing that was the much tougher game. Non-Vic sides don't really get that much of a luxury. Imagine the Eagles flying to Melbourne to play Carlton and resting someone to save them for Richmond in Perth the following week? Would never happen.

It's way tougher for non-Vic sides to qualify. They have to be a good side first. Ladder is always getting clogged up with trash Vic sides who are just the best of a bad batch.
Well... If freo were not so poorly run and had some luck, I am not saying they would of won a flag or made a grand final. But they would of made finals more often. I mean freo made finals only 3 times between 1995-2010, It could of been 6-7 times out of those 17 years. On the other Non vic sides made it at least 7 times in that same period.

I can use West coasts 2002 side for an example. West coast wasnt really dominating, But thet got 11 wins that season and got 7th spot. The 2 away wins they got were vs Carlton by 1 point and a 16 point win vs north in the last game of the regular season. I have seen a few sides from 1995-2010 miss out on the 8 despite getting 12 wins. Richmond are an example of a couple of them.

Now you mention Dusty resting in 2019. Freo got slaughted by the vic media at the end of 2010 resting a lot of players vs Hawks in tassie. We got belted by 100 points. The next week we beat carlton by 6 points then the week after Beat the hawks in a home elim final. Its risky resting players in certain games.

But it is the tactics. The tactics don't lend themselves to winning the contested possession count. The way we play, we don't have to win the contested possession count to win the game. But that's a slippery slope and it's exactly why we lost must win games in the last two seasons. Simmo's game plan has put us on that slippery slope for the last 2 seasons and we keep coming unstuck.

So what you are saying is that tactics don’t lend themselves to win contested count, but because we set ourselves up to actually defend if we lose the ball, that’s a slippery slope? What the? What, if we change tactics that will all of a sudden make players more contested?

The game plan is NOT to lose contested count. We are just bad at it . He talks about it every press conference. I don’t see correlation between contested ball and how we play. We simply don’t apply enough pressure as we have players that don’t want to do it. Fix that, fix many issues.

Saturday just goes to show you why Simmo and Mc have stuck with Petruccelle. He doesn't need to kick 4 each week but its for him to be involved in the game and play with the same desire he did on saturday. He just looked very hungry to win on saturday wasn't just at the rights spots to crumb but he went in hard for the ball but also provided many follow up efforts.

Kind of bizarre how we got the best game of Petch’s career out of him (played easily better than his 5 goal effort IMO) in a game where so many played their worst. Those goals were really very good

Still feeling this one hahah

Being a Melbourne fan, I've been at my fair share of horrid games over the last 25 years...

From memory, this would probably be top 3 most hated...

Top one obviously being the 2005 GF and also that sh*t show we lost against Carlton in 2014(?) where we blew a 5 goal lead in the last 5 minutes and lost by under a goal.

Probably didn't help I had a Saints flog being a flog next to me

We have no campaigner about us...we are too nice.

My daughter broke down crying at that Carlton game, had to leave before the end.

So what you are saying is that tactics don’t lend themselves to win contested count,
Correct. They would have a number/percentage as a metric that we would need to win a game. It would be sub 100%

but because we set ourselves up to actually defend if we lose the ball, that’s a slippery slope? What the?
In simplistic terms: All the other teams attack the person with the ball. We zone off and defend where they are going to kick it to.

Richmond = immense pressure on the ball carrier. They are well drilled in contested ball, tackling etc

Us = clearly coached not to do what Richmond do. We zone off a lot more.

There's a balance to it. We got it right in 2015 (*Weagles web") but lost the GF through being mentally overwhelmed on the day. We got it right in 2018 and it delivered us a flag.

But for the last 2 years we bowed out in rnd 21/22-ish. Beaten both times by sides who exploited our lack of contested ball. We again were exploited by St Kilda.

We're not an all-out contested ball team which makes it hard to compete against teams who are. It brings about indecision over when to contest and when not to (the slippery slope), and then as soon as an insider doesn't bring their A-game, the outsiders are constantly left standing with their dick in their hands.

If we get that balance perfect we can win the flag. But percentages tell me that it's not only super hard to do, but other teams know how to exploit it, and that makes it highly unlikely that we can win the flag.

The game plan is NOT to lose contested count. We are just bad at it . He talks about it every press conference. I don’t see correlation between contested ball and how we play. We simply don’t apply enough pressure as we have players that don’t want to do it. Fix that, fix many issues.
Nah.

We're not trying to lose the contested ball count, it's just not a priority. When he talks about it at every press conference he's referring to getting that balance correct - which we just don't seem to be able to do when teams go ultra contested ball. He's not purposely teaching them not to contest but after 6 years of "zone off, zone off, zone off, contest if this happens, don't contest if this happens, maintain your structure and team defence, over time he is unwittingly training the team not to contest.

Negative: Aint Skilda deciding to spend all their tickets last week and condemn us all to the Richmond fap fest.

Negative: If you’re living in Melbourne, watch out for sticky surfaces.

Last edited:
You see what happens when good sides play average sides, Richmond show how it’s done. 4 quarters of sustained pressure. Until we play and act as a good side we will be the average side we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back