WWE WrestleMania 37 - Sunday 11th & Monday 12th April 2021 10am AEST

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
The main event itself was a great match and a genuinely good Wrestlemania main event.

However, the ending of the main event felt like the ending of a main event building up to Wrestlemania.

There was little to no difference between that ending and the ending to the main event at Fastlane.

That's just not good enough.

I'm sick of seeing the head of the table unable to win his own battles. He hasn't had a decisive victory since he became champion despite the gimmick. You may as well put the title on Jey - he's been more influential with the title than Roman has been.
Agree. I'm over his head of the table macho but always has to have Jey "always injured shoulder gimmick" Uso and the slob of an advisor ringside saving his bacon.

KO should have won it at rumble. Hell he shoupd have won it 3 times over if it wasn't for the other 2.

I wanted Edge to win it.

I feel like not having Edge win the title they robbed themselves of an all-time legendary moment.

WWE is grounded in iconic moments.

Being able to say Edge won the title ten years to the day he had to give it up was the move that puts this Wrestlemania over the top.

Last night we had the first all African American main event and the second women's main event. And it didn't feel forced in terms of 'they only did it for BLM' as both ladies were thoroughly deserving.

But today they fell short of that iconic moment.

A shame.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reckon that almost guarantees a year of Reigns on top until Rock at next Mania lol

If rock can keep himself in good nick until 2023, i reckon they will do it at Sofi, if hes not in politics by then.

I would love to see an Edge vs Adam Cole program now.

Will Big E get a main event push or will he move to Raw?

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
More thoughts on delay...

First though, after reading some reports online, I went back and re-watched Sasha vs Bianca, and I was probably a bit harsh on it. I still think it's probably 7.5/10 at most - but it told a really good story, it packed in a lot of emotion, and apart from the Cole botch the finish was hot. I think I'm just bitter because everyone agrees that Drew carried Raw during the pandemic era - Smackdowns equivalent up until Reigns returned was Bayley, and I'm devastated for her that they couldn't find her a spot on the show, cos she was the most important person on Smackdown for more than half of last year.

- A bit lazy using the same opening
- I don't want to see Hogan on this show at all.
- I think I'm more entertained and intrigued by the Fiend/Alexa stuff than most people, but goddamn the red lights drive me crazy. Neither Randy or Bray are the kind that I'd normally put in an opener, but it was short enough that it worked, and it was storyline enough that you can come back to it. Didn't quite get the ending, but I'm not sure we're supposed to yet.
- Why was this women's tag on the show? And why did friggen Tamina get 2 'Mania appearances when neither Bayley or Peyton Royce had a match?
- Sami vs Owens was a lot of fun, and if you're a huge wrestling geek like I am and have been watching these guys for like 13 years, there were a couple of fun little easter eggs in there. The only thing that would've popped me harder is if Owens had pulled off the package piledriver. Better than everything the previous night except maybe the main event.
- I'm not going to comment on Riddle and Sheamus. It was my bathroom/cigarette break, cos I'm just not a fan of either guy. I recognise that Sheamus is a good worker, but after 10 years they've given us every reason not to care about him.
- Wale did well to still be singing with the mic nowhere near his mouth.
- I was actually relieved at the end of the Big E vs Apollo match. When I hear that WWE is doing a "Nigerian Drum Match"? Well, I watched/heard enough Jerry Lawler over the last 3 decades for the potential racist tropes to absolutely terrify me. But there were none! I was only bummed out by the finish here - the Kato interference came just as they seemed to be building to something potentially excellent.
- That ESPN headline they showed about Bad Bunny raising the bar for celebrity performers to an impossibly high level is so true. I hope it means they don't do any more for a while... but I fear the opposite will be true. With Bad Bunny being such a success I'm sure they'll be looking for someone of a similar stature for Summer Slam.
- How good was the video for Ripley and Asuka?
- Rhea Ripley... Demi ******* Bennett! This match was a low-key ******* banger that told a brilliant story of contrasting styles. I'm only disappointed that I thought commentary could've told the story better. We started with speed and experience vs power. Rhea had the hip attack scouted, dodged it twice, then once Asuka had hit a couple of hip attacks Rhea was ****ed and had to change her tactics - she couldn't afford to slow it down any more, she had to try and hit big moves in succession. Then into the battle of their submissions, relying on their respective strengths to defend them. Then she ultimately stole a gap to finish Asuka off with the quick finish. I loved this - it's such simple wrestling storytelling 101, but something so many forget. My only minor gripe would be that, with another 5 minutes, this could've been amazing. The ending came a bit quickly too... but as I say, these are minor gripes, cos I want to see Ripley vs Asuka on the next 3 PPVs.
- I felt like a proper jerk when I saw Nikki Bella getting physical with Bayley. I mean, she didn't really do anything - but I thought she looked like she might be in the early stages of pregnancy again during the HOF.
- The video for the main was incredible. I was only disappointed, after seeing Reigns, Uso and Heyman come out with the leis, that it wasn't the whole family. I dunno how possible it is with COVID, but Afa, Sika, Rikishi, Jimmy all would've made a really imposing and compelling image for "the head of the table." I loved Jey's superkick party - I immediately thought "hmm, that'll get em talking!" I loved the role he was playing though. The start of triple threats can be really clunky as one man is sufficiently laid out to believably lie on the outside while 2 fight, before he comes back, gets rid of one, and those 2 fight (it's why there's only ever been 3 good non-gimmick triple threats - WM XX, XXX, and TNA Unbreakable). But this was really original and nicely done. And after that? Edge's impaler ddt on the steps looked like friggen death. So did the double spear spot, which I liked cos I always love originality. Naughty Bryan with the leg slap - Reigns punishes him by powerbombing him through the announce table so Bryan lands on his friggen neck.

WHY OH WHY IN SWEET * IS BRYAN DOING HEADBUTTS?!?!?

I was really surprised by the end. You don't need to have him pinning both guys at once. And I thought the whole reason this finished WM was cos we were going to get a babyface pop at the end (which Edge still would've gotten) to kind of close out the pandemic era. This was a good match, but a long way short of great - it suffered from a lot of the same tropes as every triple threat ever.

Asuka vs Ripley clearly match of the 2 nights for me, but Banks/Belair, Zayn/Owens and the triple threat weren't miles behind.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
More thoughts on delay...

First though, after reading some reports online, I went back and re-watched Sasha vs Bianca, and I was probably a bit harsh on it. I still think it's probably 7.5/10 at most - but it told a really good story, it packed in a lot of emotion, and apart from the Cole botch the finish was hot. I think I'm just bitter because everyone agrees that Drew carried Raw during the pandemic era - Smackdowns equivalent up until Reigns returned was Bayley, and I'm devastated for her that they couldn't find her a spot on the show, cos she was the most important person on Smackdown for more than half of last year.

- A bit lazy using the same opening
- I don't want to see Hogan on this show at all.
- I think I'm more entertained and intrigued by the Fiend/Alexa stuff than most people, but goddamn the red lights drive me crazy. Neither Randy or Bray are the kind that I'd normally put in an opener, but it was short enough that it worked, and it was storyline enough that you can come back to it. Didn't quite get the ending, but I'm not sure we're supposed to yet.
- Why was this women's tag on the show? And why did friggen Tamina get 2 'Mania appearances when neither Bayley or Peyton Royce had a match?
- Sami vs Owens was a lot of fun, and if you're a huge wrestling geek like I am and have been watching these guys for like 13 years, there were a couple of fun little easter eggs in there. The only thing that would've popped me harder is if Owens had pulled off the package piledriver. Better than everything the previous night except maybe the main event.
- I'm not going to comment on Riddle and Sheamus. It was my bathroom/cigarette break, cos I'm just not a fan of either guy. I recognise that Sheamus is a good worker, but after 10 years they've given us every reason not to care about him.
- Wale did well to still be singing with the mic nowhere near his mouth.
- I was actually relieved at the end of the Big E vs Apollo match. When I hear that WWE is doing a "Nigerian Drum Match"? Well, I watched/heard enough Jerry Lawler over the last 3 decades for the potential racist tropes to absolutely terrify me. But there were none! I was only bummed out by the finish here - the Kato interference came just as they seemed to be building to something potentially excellent.
- That ESPN headline they showed about Bad Bunny raising the bar for celebrity performers to an impossibly high level is so true. I hope it means they don't do any more for a while... but I fear the opposite will be true. With Bad Bunny being such a success I'm sure they'll be looking for someone of a similar stature for Summer Slam.
- How good was the video for Ripley and Asuka?
- Rhea Ripley... Demi ******* Bennett! This match was a low-key ******* banger that told a brilliant story of contrasting styles. I'm only disappointed that I thought commentary could've told the story better. We started with speed and experience vs power. Rhea had the hip attack scouted, dodged it twice, then once Asuka had hit a couple of hip attacks Rhea was f’ed and had to change her tactics - she couldn't afford to slow it down any more, she had to try and hit big moves in succession. Then into the battle of their submissions, relying on their respective strengths to defend them. Then she ultimately stole a gap to finish Asuka off with the quick finish. I loved this - it's such simple wrestling storytelling 101, but something so many forget. My only minor gripe would be that, with another 5 minutes, this could've been amazing. The ending came a bit quickly too... but as I say, these are minor gripes, cos I want to see Ripley vs Asuka on the next 3 PPVs.
- I felt like a proper jerk when I saw Nikki Bella getting physical with Bayley. I mean, she didn't really do anything - but I thought she looked like she might be in the early stages of pregnancy again during the HOF.
- The video for the main was incredible. I was only disappointed, after seeing Reigns, Uso and Heyman come out with the leis, that it wasn't the whole family. I dunno how possible it is with COVID, but Afa, Sika, Rikishi, Jimmy all would've made a really imposing and compelling image for "the head of the table." I loved Jey's superkick party - I immediately thought "hmm, that'll get em talking!" I loved the role he was playing though. The start of triple threats can be really clunky as one man is sufficiently laid out to believably lie on the outside while 2 fight, before he comes back, gets rid of one, and those 2 fight (it's why there's only ever been 3 good non-gimmick triple threats - WM XX, XXX, and TNA Unbreakable). But this was really original and nicely done. And after that? Edge's impaler ddt on the steps looked like friggen death. So did the double spear spot, which I liked cos I always love originality. Naughty Bryan with the leg slap - Reigns punishes him by powerbombing him through the announce table so Bryan lands on his friggen neck.

WHY OH WHY IN SWEET fu** IS BRYAN DOING HEADBUTTS?!?!?

I was really surprised by the end. You don't need to have him pinning both guys at once. And I thought the whole reason this finished WM was cos we were going to get a babyface pop at the end (which Edge still would've gotten) to kind of close out the pandemic era. This was a good match, but a long way short of great - it suffered from a lot of the same tropes as every triple threat ever.

Asuka vs Ripley clearly match of the 2 nights for me, but Banks/Belair, Zayn/Owens and the triple threat weren't miles behind.

Nice write-up.

I have to say though, despite not liking both guys you certainly missed out on a beauty between Sheamus and Riddle. They threw everything at one another. Also overcome a potentially catastrophic botch and covered it beautifully (huge props to Sheamus for that).

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Nice write-up.

I have to say though, despite not liking both guys you certainly missed out on a beauty between Sheamus and Riddle. They threw everything at one another. Also overcome a potentially catastrophic botch and covered it beautifully (huge props to Sheamus for that).

I'll probably go back and watch it later - but even without it, I thought today's show was a solid 8/10. I'm a bit blown away to see people saying yesterday was better, cos I don't think I could've given yesterday more than a 5.

It's funny though, I went back and read the live comments here as well as the online reports... we all hated it when 1-night WMs stretched out to 6 or 7 hours. But there were at least 3 matches today (Zayn/Owens, Ripley/Asuka, E/Apollo) where you're left going "it just needed 5 more minutes and it could've been really special."

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Really good second night. Take out that women’s tag title match and throw about 5 minutes more on most of the other matches and it could’ve been brilliant.

If you put around a 4 hour main show plus preshow edit together of the best of these two nights I think it would actually be one of the better manias of the last 10-15 years. That’s not something I expected to say going in given the programming the last 12 months and the lack of legacy talent to use as draws. Credit to them for that.

Nice write-up.

Thank * Sheamus doesn't skip leg-day.

Had visions of SIds leg

Night 1 clearly better in my eyes.

Almost every match save maybe for the main event was just a tease.
Was immensely excited for Sami vs KO, even with the Logan s**t, and it was just building up a good head of steam and then it was over.
Same for Asuka/Rhea.

Just felt like a night of very abrupt endings.
Sheamus/Riddle was good, loved the ending. Was trying to think the similar ending that happened but with a superkick instead. Ricochet the one that took it? Maybe against Cole? I think that was it.

Fumed about Bayley getting made a fool of by the Bellas of all ******* people.
Best of the women in the company last year and this is how her Mania went. Ugh.

Filthy Sanchez

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Wow came back here to check people’s recaps but there’s so few. It was only five or so years ago when Wrestlemania threads would get seventy odd pages, now it’s just got nine from a two night show!?!?

Goes to show where wrestling is at for the casual Aussie audience

Filthy Sanchez

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Recent Wrestlemanias better than 37:

Wrestlemanias worse than 37:

So as far as recent ones go it’s somewhere in the middle.

Aside from maybe 27 it wasn’t better than any from 20-29.

There have been some stinkers recently so the wrestlers did well given the lack of star power some of those other Manias had.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Don't understand how Miz could go from being WWE champ to being pinned by that guy in the space of a month.

Oh but it was ok and made sense as it was just so Lashley could get the title and then Drew could win it back at WMania in front of fans. The know it alls and marks here told us remember? That is what happened yesterday right? :drunk:

Kev and Sami once more for old times sake.

Didn't miss a beat either, great little match.
Omg that Stunner-sell from Logan though

Should have opened the show. Can't believe people here complaining about a dead crowd. Why the #### would it be anything else? Weather was awful again, show opened with Fiend rubbish, followed by a heel v heel women's tag match including teams no one could possibly give half a s**t about. And then throw in the ridiculous about of boring, not entertaining and not interesting non wrestling s**t.

Apart from that wayyyyyyy too much heat in this show. Again first event (just happens to be WrestleMania) and second show back with fans in over a year (who braved awful weather and potential to catch a deadly virus) and this is what you give them? Heels winning every match except one? Just rubbish stuff. Give Riddle and Bryan the win and kick off with a not time effected KO v Zayne and this show feels a lot less painful.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow came back here to check people’s recaps but there’s so few. It was only five or so years ago when Wrestlemania threads would get seventy odd pages, now it’s just got nine from a two night show!?!?

Goes to show where wrestling is at for the casual Aussie audience
Didnt watch it. But I hope the stupid Wyatt orton crap is finished. And I'm so happy that Ripley won.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Orton vs Fiend sucked and Alexa Bliss’s gimmick is so stupid. Stop the pain.

Heel vs heel womens tag title match? Why bother?

Owens vs Zayn passable, glad Logan Paul got stunned.

The booking of Riddle horrendous, they made him look like a fool the whole time and he loses the belt. The finish was creative though.

Big E vs Crews average

Didn’t care for the raw womens match.

Great main event triple threat, I feel a face should have won, this wrestlemania needed a massive babyface moment and it didn’t happen. But I’m not too upset Roman retains.

Overall I reckon with crowds returning, way too many heels won so they didn’t really take advantage of the possible pops from the crowd.

Hate gets a little over the top now with the WWE vs AEW war which is only between fans.

Night 1

Show was good without being great.

Lashley vs McIntyre
Surprised at the clean win from Lashley, he deserves the run so I'm OK with it, I thought it lacked that real tease at the end.

The women's multi tag match was trash, should have had a Ladder match for the Smackdown Tag
Titles, tell me those 4 teams wouldn't have torn the house down as the opener.

Rollins vs Cesaro
Cesaro does nothing for me, Internet has tried hard to get him over for years, match was decent and result was predictable.

New Day vs Styles and Omas
Different type of match and they built towards the Omos tag it put him over in a big way, interested see what happens now and happy that AJ is a grandslam winner.

Bad Bunny & Priest vs Miz and Morrison
I really enjoyed this great performance by all 4 men and mad respect for BB taking this seriously.

Strowman vs McMahon
Match was OK for a gimmick match, I loved Shane OMac but no more please I'm surprised to say this Braun probably deserves better.

Belair vs Banks
I'm Sasha fan boy and this was mainevent worthy, Great match still don't think it's in Sasha best 10, I could also go with hearing I'm the EST every 2 minutes. Quality match.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I'd love to know who thought it was necessary to devote so much time to the womens tag titles over these two nights. The length of the eventual championship match yesterday was just absurd.

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I haven’t been a fan of Bliss/Fiend stuff.

The only I hope I have with what they are doing is that Alistair Black is behind it all. Given the symbol they have been using / it was on the box and the black goo the only way to fix the mess would be to result in a Black v Fiend feud with Bo Dallas somehow involved as another fiend type character.

Back