Autopsy Lions get Naught in English Test - Rd 4, 2021

Gunsyd

Rookie
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not saying Scott played anything but a poor game but people are measuring with the wrong yardstick. We're not lacking for disposal winners in this team, and it's not as if he's a weak link in a team that's failing to beat the opposition in total disposal H2H.
I agree , our defensive pressure is elite . Zoning , gut running etc . We tend to rate players on more obvious stats . Bevo rated Dunks on these stats his first year . Hence he replaced more seasoned players .

ummmbont

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ugly game to watch.

Glad Young played well. We need an intercepting defender so hopefully he can build off that game.

If you had told me we'd lose the clearances pre game I would have thought we'd be zero chance of winning but we seemed to stop them from getting too many inside 50's. Tackling was great.

Treloar is a gun. Love that he's fired in the games Bonti has been down. Genuine threat through the middle at all times now.

We really need to start kicking the easy ones. Missed too many set shots from gettable positions yesterday. Naughton killed it yesterday but really should have ended up with at least 4 goals.

Macrae B.O.G in my opinion. Glad he got a goal. I've been critical of his kicking in the past but he seems to have fixed that part of his game.

Odd game really. Our mids who don't tend to kick goals got on the board and our more attacking mids didn't really get a shot off. Lots to like with the 3 tall forwards. Just need to kick the goals.

All in all 4 zip is a cracking start against some decent opposition. Need to keep the momentum up.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You know when the commentators say about some random players "he goes about his game quietly"? Well that's because that player isn't damaging the opposition enough, otherwise we'd notice.

Macrae is that player.

So for possession stats? Sure.

But *effective* possession stats? Too early to say- I rate Brian Royal as a more effective midfielder. Just my $0.02
Sorry, I wrote my statement without thinking.

I am 28, so I meant the best midfielder for the dogs in my lifetime.

A further hot take is that I believe Macrae has the best disposal by foot out all of the contested midfielders in the league.

Pocket Terrace

Team Captain
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You know when the commentators say about some random players "he goes about his game quietly"? Well that's because that player isn't damaging the opposition enough, otherwise we'd notice.

Macrae is that player.

So for possession stats? Sure.

But *effective* possession stats? Too early to say- I rate Brian Royal as a more effective midfielder. Just my $0.02

Was pretty damaging in the last quarter against West Coast the other week. Best quarter by an individual this season in my opinion. 6 clearances in that quarter alone, when it was red hot. That’s how you win finals.

Was best on ground against the lions too, in my opinion.

Given the standard of commentary, that can hardly be used as a measurement. Last year Chanel 7 described Cody Weightman as a ‘young superstar’. Couldn’t give a stuff what they think.

Last edited:

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those talking about Macrae and his impact, many may not realise just how many scores he's assisted over the years even though he spends not that much time forward.

Since 2013 he's actually ranked 6th at the club for Impact Points despite having less than 100 shots at goal.

Impact Points is your score (goals and behinds) + the score of the goals and behinds you've directly assisted (the disposal immediately prior to the score).

Macrae has kicked 38.32 since debuting but has directly assisted a further 98.91 and is ranked 1st at the club for Score Assists which is usually occupied by players who spend a large chunk of time forward. Essentially he is an extremely selfless player who should take more shots as his accuracy is not that bad for a mid.

I've included our Impact Points table (2013-2021) below...
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 8.01.45 pm.png

Arkangel

All Australian
Jun 8, 2007
Internet City
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those talking about Macrae and his impact, many may not realise just how many scores he's assisted over the years even though he spends not that much time forward.

Since 2013 he's actually ranked 6th at the club for Impact Points despite having less than 100 shots at goal.

Impact Points is your score (goals and behinds) + the score of the goals and behinds you've directly assisted (the disposal immediately prior to the score).

Macrae has kicked 38.32 since debuting but has directly assisted a further 98.91 and is ranked 1st at the club for Score Assists which is usually occupied by players who spend a large chunk of time forward. Essentially he is an extremely selfless player who should take more shots as his accuracy is not that bad for a mid.

View attachment 1100928

The first thing that jumps out at me from those data is the Goal Assist/Behind Assist ratio. For most players they are around 1.1:1; but for Bont it's closer to 1.8:1.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1618224648929.png

Can't say I expected Lewis Young to be the fastest bloke on the team.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lewis Young had more intercept possessions than Weitering and equaled Jones yet they get the praise.

Good.

The more smoke blown up other clubs and players bums and the less focus there is on us will make it so much sweeter if we win the flag.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lewis Young had more intercept possessions than Weitering and equaled Jones yet they get the praise.

Good.

The more smoke blown up other clubs and players bums and the less focus there is on us will make it so much sweeter if we win the flag.
Really really impressive game by Young, it did suit him though the way it was played. Big test next couple of weeks to see how he goes in a more standard game coming up against some pretty good forwards in the next 3 weeks. Big challenge for him. I’m praying he takes the opportunity with both hands, he hasn’t put a foot wrong yet though.

stefcep

All Australian
Jun 6, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Macrae is our no 1 inside 50 player (scores per inside 50 entry).
The myth that he isn't damaging with possession needs to die. I don't think I've ever seen a player who willingly takes a hit/tackle when handballing more than Jack just so the next player in the possession chain has a little more time.

Our goals per inside 50 are shocking, though aren't they? And they have been for 5 years. So I'm not sure that being the number inside 50 player actually amounts to much.

And I'm not questioning his willingness to take a hit, but that's not really his game- Macrae's game is high possession.

The best inside mid I've seen in my life was Greg Williams: 250 games and over 200 goals, and they guy hardly ever kicked.. Macrae is at 163 games and 38 goals.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our goals per inside 50 are shocking, though aren't they? And they have been for 5 years. So I'm not sure that being the number inside 50 player actually amounts to much.

And I'm not questioning his willingness to take a hit, but that's not really his game- Macrae's game is high possession.

The best inside mid I've seen in my life was Greg Williams: 250 games and over 200 goals, and they guy hardly ever kicked.. Macrae is at 163 games and 38 goals.
It literally says scores per inside 50, as in Macrae is the best at generating scores from his inside 50s. He’s a brilliant kick.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

View attachment 1100928
Really interesting stats.
Arguably though, Bonts assists are more valuable in total value and av points per assist(4.4 v 3.1)....but that's not to diminish Macraes contribution. Bont is Bont.
Jj is the other youd want hitting you up. Hunter is the one you wouldn't want - the only current player on that list whose assists are more likely to result in a behind. Needs assistance with his assistance.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I thought Young looked miles better than any performance I’ve seen from Gardener.

Young is a massive unit, can take marks and has wheels. Seems to be fine by foot as well. No idea how Gardner was ahead of him.

Interesting stat On the Couch tonight. We have been the worst one on one defensive team in the league thus far BUT have had the fewest one on one contests in our defensive end. Makes sense, our team defense is great but our individual one on one defending is quite poor. Having Young in the side should assist in this area I would hope.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really interesting stats.
Arguably though, Bonts assists are more valuable in total value and av points per assist(4.4 v 3.1)....but that's not to diminish Macraes contribution. Bont is Bont.
Jj is the other youd want hitting you up. Hunter is the one you wouldn't want - the only current player on that list whose assists are more likely to result in a behind. Needs assistance with his assistance.
Have always claimed JJ is one of our better users going inside 50, glad the stats back it up.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
As in make others look better than they are? Yeah fair. I get players can do stuff off the ball that is important but no Scott and McNeil averaging about 10 touches between them, missing easy targets and being a bit slow in handball chains is not bringing out the best in their teammates.

West does all the team off the ball things better than both, is quicker than Scott, and way more of an offensive threat than both.
I want to see Jong and either Cavarra and West for these two. The other issue will be when Crozier is fit. do we move Little Diego to the forward line.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

View attachment 1100928
Are you able to produce the same stats for the last 2 years only? Incorprating Bailey Smith et al.
My theory is that will demonstrate a noticeable improvement in Macraes goals assist to behind behind assist ratio. Curious to know the ratios of our current squad generally.
Thanks in advance.
Belated honorable mention to Wallis also with his stats.

Back