Preview Round 5: Brisbane vs Essendon, Gabba, Saturday 17/04/2021 @ 7:25 PM AEST

Aaaaaaaaaaaand the winner is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't think there's too much inside information in the AFL, most of what is known about a side from the previous season is already clear. We don't run set plays like the NFL do where it might be of some benefit.

People already know how Richmond play, they've done basically the same thing for 5 years now. Temas just haven't worked out how to reliably execute a way to beat the way they play. Trading for Cotchin (for example) isn't going to bring some kind of special insight as to how to beat them.
Dont worry, Joey didn't play enough to know our gameplan.

And in any event, the (old?) plan was bomb it long to Walla.

Yes and those same teams play the rest of the year with massive home ground advantages. See ess Sydney.
Geelong probably have the biggest rort of all don't they? They play on a ground with dimensions like no other, it is a genuine away factor even for Victorian teams yet Cats play enough at Marvel and the G that it isn't an away game for them.

Geelong probably have the biggest rort of all don't they? They play on a ground with dimensions like no other, it is a genuine away factor even for Victorian teams yet Cats play enough at Marvel and the G that it isn't an away game for them.

Yep, the stats nerds peg Geelong as having the strongest fixture advantage in the AFL when it comes to grounds from memory.

They have a similar home advantage as any interstate side, without sharing their home ground with any other team (like the SA and WA sides do) and play regularly enough at the MCG that it's not 'really' an away game.

Yes and those same teams play the rest of the year with massive home ground advantages. See ess Sydney.
So it evens out. In other words we shouldn't be whinging about travelling 3 games out of 5. If we're good enough then we'll win, if that's the difference I don't think we're much of a threat to win a flag anyway so it doesn't matter.

Out: Zerk-Thatcher, Guelfi
In: Bryan, Redman

B Laverde Francis Hind
HB Redman Ridley Heppell
C Merrett Parish Cox
HF Langford Jones Snelling
F Walla Hooker Stringer
R Wright McGrath Perkins
INT Smith Bryan Waterman Ham
SUB Guelfi

In: Redman
Out: Guelfi

Can’t see who else makes way for Redman who’s been playing too good to keep out.

I can’t see how we can play Wright and Bryan together and Bryan too raw to go solo. I don’t think Phillips is much of an improvement on Wright who I don’t think was that bad. Needs to improve some areas no doubt but hasn’t played much footy last 12 months.

In- Bryan(Debut), Redman
Out- Hooker(Rest), Guelfi

Wright to play hookers role

the first bounce I hope someone belts that ******* flog Daniher and let him know he left a great club on the way up. I would get rid of Zerk-Thatcher is a trier but is way out of his depth in the AFL system. we cant afford to have blokes like him on the side if we want to be a threat to any team..I know our record is 1-3 but apart from the Port game we have played some good football we seem to have a bit more of a backbone right now and I hope it lasts. I want other clubs to know it's not easy to play against the Bombers anymore..!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the first bounce I hope someone belts that ******* flog Daniher and let him know he left a great club on the way up. I would get rid of Zerk-Thatcher is a trier but is way out of his depth in the AFL system. we cant afford to have blokes like him on the side if we want to be a threat to any team..I know our record is 1-3 but apart from the Port game we have played some good football we seem to have a bit more of a backbone right now and I hope it lasts. I want other clubs to know it's not easy to play against the Bombers anymore..!!!
get Zerky to belt Daniher.
then when Daniher belts him back and breaks his hand, happy days :)

Lions will beat us up this weekend (on the scoreboard) but it will merely be covering up many of their issues at the moment. They are nowhere near as good as they (and others in the football world) think they are. We know our limitations at the moment and it’s unlikely with consecutive road trips, with them under pressure, that we are going to return with the points. Just make them earn it though!

There has been a serious case of drinking their own bath water over the pre-season after a better than expected year last year (with a majority of the season based in QLD).

Daniher is an absolute flog and the post from earlier in this thread about how it’s guaranteed he will grab his jumper after kicking a goal is bang on. He will kick 4 or 5 (unfortunately).

They will only be on 5 wins by the mid-season break and will eventually scrape into 7th or 8th. Knockout in Week 1.

Get more games/experience into the kids for us this week and continue to prime ourselves for a good look at the draft this year.

Lions will beat us up this weekend (on the scoreboard) but it will merely be covering up many of their issues at the moment. They are nowhere near as good as they (and others in the football world) think they are. We know our limitations at the moment and it’s unlikely with consecutive road trips, with them under pressure, that we are going to return with the points. Just make them earn it though!

There has been a serious case of drinking their own bath water over the pre-season after a better than expected year last year (with a majority of the season based in QLD).

Daniher is an absolute flog and the post from earlier in this thread about how it’s guaranteed he will grab his jumper after kicking a goal is bang on. He will kick 4 or 5 (unfortunately).

They will only be on 5 wins by the mid-season break and will eventually scrape into 7th or 8th. Knockout in Week 1.

Get more games/experience into the kids for us this week and continue to prime ourselves for a good look at the draft this year.
Your argument would be more convincing if they hadn't won 16 games the year before.

Your argument would be more convincing if they hadn't won 16 games the year before.

About as relevant at the moment as North Melbourne winning 10 games in that same year.

Lions had a once in a lifetime chance last year with the competition setting up base in their home city. If they were ever going to win it, it was going to be 2020. They’ll never get that golden chance again.

They are a much better travelling side than a few years ago but how many bonus wins did they get last year (to prop up their ladder position) by playing 13 of their 17 games at the Gabba or Metricon? They lost 2 of their 3 games when they had to travel.

They’ll beat us (like they should) but the champagne for the glorious year predicted for them this year is well and truly on ice and staying put for now.

About as relevant at the moment as North Melbourne winning 10 games in that same year.

Lions had a once in a lifetime chance last year with the competition setting up base in their home city. If they were ever going to win it, it was going to be 2020. They’ll never get that golden chance again.

They are a much better travelling side than a few years ago but how many bonus wins did they get last year (to prop up their ladder position) by playing 13 of their 17 games at the Gabba or Metricon? They lost 2 of their 3 games when they had to travel.

They’ll beat us (like they should) but the champagne for the glorious year predicted for them this year is well and truly on ice and staying put for now.

Underselling the Lions a bit. They've been top-4 in two consecutive seasons, winning 31 of 43 games over that time.

Sure, last year they had a massive leg up and didn't make the most of it, but lets not pretend that they weren't universally regarded as top-4 material this season still before adding Daniher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back