2021 football LEARNINGS™ | NOW: three things I learnt from... Round 6!

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Graham might actually be able to hit a full forward on the lead from full back these days.
Who was the quickest and longest kick? would dominate with new kick out rules. Currently it might be Saad but he's not a massive kick.

Dustin Fletcher would've loved it.
Didn't see the WC game but Burn probably benefits. Maybe McKenzie for Port if he's still getting a game? Used to love dropping 60m bombs at GC.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Part of me almost actually wants the super goal brought back in just because we might get some big kicking full forwards again.

Round 3 learnings
May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
May or may not have missed Round 2 completely. :eyes:

CONTENDER (25).png

For me:
  1. I think the not-moving-off-the-mark rule is having a bigger impact than I thought it would. Footy is great to watch this year.
  2. Pickett is just about the most exciting player I have seen at Melbourne.
  3. It's a long season. With regular length matches back in 2021, it feels like much more of a marathon to me than 2020.

Over to you, Melbourne board!

1) I always seem to underrate and not notice Ed Langdon's contribution when watching a game. It annoys me me greatly.
2) The interchange cap rule is great. Less is better.
3) The stationary man on the mark is silly. Too much is determined by how quickly an ump reacts to the player with the ball playing on. The levels of inconsistency are ridiculous.

I'll second ADP's #3. Umps are super jumpy to call play-on even when players haven't moved at all behind the mark to even up the stand rule. Frustrating how inconsistent it can be.

Kozzie is the most watchable player I've ever seen live (noting I never saw Jurrah or the Wiz live).

Rucks aren't dead and winning clearances is a big advantage with the way teams are setting up and moving the ball. GWS got quick goals from centre breaks, we were the same. Saints have been ****ed in clearances the past couple of weeks and were slaughtered. Gawn and Jackson gave us some great drive with their work with our mids.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Stand on the mark and argue with the ump is so dumb . Can be certain bloke with the ball will just take off . Have never seen an ump change his mind because a player sooked over a decision.

Round 4 learnings
May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
CONTENDER (26).png

For me:

1. Was discussed in another thread, but I think Brayshaw is putting together some good, largely unnoticed form. He's keeping space a lot better, and I think he's sacrificing a lot of his potential numbers game for good of the team.
  2. Geelong could easily be 0-4 right now. Are they finally going to drop off?
  3. North is in a lot of trouble. I can't help but feel for their supporters, having been in a similar position pretty recently. I think it'll be a long re-build.

Over to you, Melbourne board!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Geelong are truly a boring side to watch, maybe it's just personnel but if I was a supporter of them I'd be bored shitless over the first four weeks regardless and be asking serious questions of the game plan on what I've seen
2. Essendon aren't as bad as I thought/hoped they were, Rutten has them playing some attractive footy :(
3. Form means nothing. Had a mate collect $3500 from a $15 multi on the footy this week. Incredible.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
1. Christian Petracca is lovely
2. The G is a problematic place to sit in for 3 hours on a cold Melbourne day
3. I’m an idiot and probably quite unfit. I made a deal with the footy gods that I would go to the gym every day this week if they let Melbourne win. Day 1 and I’m already knackered

1. We're very good
2. Geelong's cliff has come, not off the back of the pensioners but from the coach with a pensioners brain.
3. This is a very weird start to the season, don't know where a single team stands, apart from North and us, who are the worst and best respectively.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
3- If the cats do hit a cliff, a club would be ******* moronic not to get Chris Scott into their football program. Has the greatest winning H/A record of all time.

2- we need to aim for top 4 now, Itll be a failure if we don't make it.

1- Toby Greene's so good.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Actually I might have to eat some Jayden Hunt humble pie. His drive out of the backline has been very important.

Down the throat

Senior List
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Actually I might have to eat some Jayden Hunt humble pie. His drive out of the backline has been very important.

But I dont think anyone would have disagreed with you based on his last two years. I thought he was cooked - but somehow theyve managed to dig up 2017 Jayden and get him on the field.

Fantastic turnaround for him and the team. Will likely get better this year too with more confidence.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
But I dont think anyone would have disagreed with you based on his last two years. I thought he was cooked - but somehow theyve managed to dig up 2017 Jayden and get him on the field.

Fantastic turnaround for him and the team. Will likely get better this year too with more confidence.
I dunno there was a few here who said try him down back again, I thought he was more likely to make it there than as a forward but never actually thought he'd be looking ok again

1) If we are carrying passengers they are hard
He plays like a crap Ed Langdon which is a pretty good outcome. If he can build into the current Ed Langdon it’ll be awesome.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
At the game I noticed that Hunt was a bit more selective about when to hit the afterburners. Someone seems to have told him it isn't the answer to every push from hb, and he needs to stop ******* the team with a broom handle by choosing to go in the wrong scenario.

Kicks into f50 after a run are still bad though.

I dunno there was a few here who said try him down back again, I thought he was more likely to make it there than as a forward but never actually thought he'd be looking ok again

I should have stuck to my guns, then he played like dogshit in the first two rounds of the year and I said he was useless. Perfect timing. 😂

1. Footy seems much more exciting this year. Maybe because we're winning, or the new rules, or the crowds and atmosphere after last year, but it's got that nice buzz back with plenty of good games most weeks.
2. Geelong are cooked this year. Yeah they've been a bit slow to start recent seasons but they wouldn't drop games to the Crows or us as easily as they have. Obviously some talent out for them but generally they've seemed slow and mediocre at best.
3. Kozzy is the most watchable player in the league. Has a bit of swagger about him and the performances are backing it up. Does plenty without the ball and when he does have it is magic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back