Autopsy Swans Vs Dons Rnd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't expect him to be 100% I was merely commenting on that for some reason or another his mistakes seem to be more noticeable for me when I watch the swans matches. Not sure if it's because he seems to miss a disproportionate number of "easier" set shots or drop chest marks when he takes hangers. It probably also has something to do with his workrate that he gets back to help out the defenders whenever possible and as such when he drops an easier mark it becomes much more dangerous than dropping one in the forward 50. I have never been one to constantly ride him for poor output or anything, I was just saying what I personally saw and took away from it.

I also went on to praise the other traits to his game that are underrated and overlooked because they don't appear in the stat-lines. He's clearly not a key forward that is going to kick bags every other week but that's OK because he forces the opposition to put a big body on him because of his link-up play and marking ability. He is a great second tall forward who really helps our forward line structure.

I find that stats have their place and are a great start for a discussion on things like this and yet they can also be misleading. If you are comparing set shot percentage that is fair enough but comparing a Papley to a Reid is a little strange. Papley would be much more likely to be making a shot on the run and in congestion under pressure as such it would lower his percentage. Reid by comparison is much more likely to be taking a set shot at goal which means he can go back and use a practiced kicking technique and routine making his shots a higher percentage.

The comparison to Buddy is very interesting though, very surprised to see him with a lower career percentage.

That last line there makes me the happiest though. How good is it to see the forwards sharing the load around so much. I feel like that is a big reason why our year has started so well. If we had just played the kick it to buddy game from a couple of years ago we become so much easier to shut down. Throw in the start to this year and it's a nightmare matchup for anyone. You can't afford to have a weak link anywhere, not to mention that the entire team has been playing so unselfishly that you need to stay right on top of your player even off the ball or they create a better look at goal.

I think that it's been said a few times but how good is it to see Hickey push forward and make a mismatch for the opponents. This was really something that I feel like Sinkers has in him too. They just work so hard around the ground to make a better option for the team. Not to mention tiring out the opposition ruck trying to keep up with them.

Looking forward to seeing what happens going forward, Heeney will be a massive out so hopefully someone like Hayward can come in and really prove himself.
Fair enough. The only thing I really objected to was the throwaway comment that Reid misses half his shots. That's pure BS and comes from that dork Russell Barwick of SEN, who has a long history of putting s**t on Swans and Swans players. As I've aptly demonstrated, it'scomplete crap. As for Reid ever dropping an easy mark in defence, I don't recall any such. He's a pretty safe pair of hands, the safest in the team. Reid has taken some incredible game saving marks in defence, the most famous being where he soared above the pack on the line to save the game at the siren.

Reid drops the odd one inside 50 but so does Buddy, so does Paps. Crikey, everyone does sometimes. If I had a buck for every forward who spent the ball before he'd earned it I'd be a rich man. I just don't get the whole pour s**t on Reid thing. I don't understand what motivates so-called fans. He earns his coin every week and we're a better team when he's playing. How many players can get around the ground so much, picking up various roles, kicking a few goals, taking a hit in the ruck, in defence, constantly impacting the game, taking a bag of contested marks, tackling and playing a hard running physical game. If McLean wants to be his eventual replacement he's got big shoes to fill.

I totally agree that Reid and Hickey make a good combo. Two mobile forward/ruckmen, both covering lots of the ground, marking, bulldozing and impacting contests at both ends of the ground.

I know this is true but I was hoping for less of these types of games this year. Swans are good at trench warfare but there are
consequences later in the season as players start to burn out.
I agree, but you have to know how to grind a win if need be. Premiership winning sides can typically play both styles, fast and free flowing but also trench warfare as and when required.

I agree, but you have to know how to grind a win if need be. Premiership winning sides can typically play both styles, fast and free flowing but also trench warfare as and when required.
Adelaide's free flowing style eventually collapsed under Richmond's pressure in 2017. The ability to keep your head and execute under this pressure is what won us 2012 and lost us 2014.
In all cases you have to exert enough pressure yourselves.

Adelaide's free flowing style eventually collapsed under Richmond's pressure in 2017. The ability to keep your head and execute under this pressure is what won us 2012 and lost us 2014.
In all cases you have to exert enough pressure yourselves.
Horse has both ends of the spectrum covered now with the assistance of Pyke. An expert in trench warfare recruited an expert is fast free flowing footy. Nice move Horse. A good leader surrounds themself with experts and listens to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back