Will North rise above 18th?

Remove this Banner Ad

Their midfield has talent there, but the forward line is, frankly, abysmal. When they traded Brown, I was sure they were going to draft MacDonald because Larkey is not a number 1 forward. I was extremely confused when that didn't transpire, and given whispers that next year's draft is stacked with mids, I'm even more so.

Impossible to do this now because of the midseason draft.

You would be awarding North the 12th to 13th best overage player in the country, big deal.

At the absolute least, the AFL should be redirecting the Gold Coasts Pick #19 PP in this draft our way.

If we lose all 22 games, #2 has a serious argument.

It’s four weeks in and North supporters are already begging for handouts.

You have some good kids, a seemingly good coach and were in the game for the best part of 3 quarters against Adelaide who look decent this year.

I hope the club haven’t resigned themselves to a horrible season like most fans already have.

I do agree two mature aged players would be a nothing package with the new draft and SSP.

It’s four weeks in and North supporters are already begging for handouts.

You have some good kids, a seemingly good coach and were in the game for the best part of 3 quarters against Adelaide who look decent this year.

I hope the club haven’t resigned themselves to a horrible season like most fans already have.

I do agree two mature aged players would be a nothing package with the new draft and SSP.

Begging for handouts? Four weeks in?

We have lost 18 of our last 19 matches. We quite possibly go 1 or 2 wins in 40 games by the end of this season.

We've finished equal with the wooden spoon side on points in 2 of the last 4 seasons and would be odds on to win it this year. So 3 of the last 5 seasons we have finished equal bottom of the ladder on points.

We aren't begging for handouts (very rich from a Carlton fan), we are simply saying we are probably OWED it, given the countless picks of ours that have been compromised over the years from the likes of GWS, GC, Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Brisbane, West Coast, Western Bulldogs etc etc. who got them when it was their turn.

Begging for handouts? Four weeks in?

We have lost 18 of our last 19 matches. We quite possibly go 1 or 2 wins in 40 games by the end of this season.

We've finished equal with the wooden spoon side on points in 2 of the last 4 seasons and would be odds on to win it this year. So 3 of the last 5 seasons we have finished equal bottom of the ladder on points.

We aren't begging for handouts (very rich from a Carlton fan), we are simply saying we are probably OWED it, given the countless picks of ours that have been compromised over the years from the likes of GWS, GC, Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Brisbane, West Coast, Western Bulldogs etc etc. who got them when it was their turn.

Begging probably not the right word.

Under the old rules it was two consecutive seasons of 16 points or less. North won 3 games last year but only played 17 games. You haven’t won the spoon for a long time let alone recently. You are not as bad as you think you are and you have some good kids already in place.

Look how quickly Adelaide turned it around after calls of a PP. Let’s wait and see how the season plays out?

Begging probably not the right word.

Under the old rules it was two consecutive seasons of 16 points or less. North won 3 games last year but only played 17 games. You haven’t won the spoon for a long time let alone recently. You are not as bad as you think you are and you have some good kids already in place.

Look how quickly Adelaide turned it around after calls of a PP. Let’s wait and see how the season plays out?

Actually, this is statistically the worst 4 game start to a season in the 152 years of the football club.

Maybe you don't realise how rare a % of the low 40's is, when the second last team is 43% above the last team.

Actually, this is statistically the worst 4 game start to a season in the 152 years of the football club.

Maybe you don't realise how rare a % of the low 40's is, when the second last team is 43% above the last team.

You have also faced two likely top 4 teams and had injuries to key players. I think north will be okay, probably still spooners but you’ll get some wins. I must be more optimistic than 90% of your supporter base.

Your I 50s aren’t that bad. It’s when it’s there it’s the problem. Get your conversation from 26% to say 36% then you’ll be in more games for longer and will snag a few wins

Nowhere to ask and a random question but

Did North destroy the Shinboner spirit when they turfed Brent Harvey against his wishes? I feel like they did

Correct. It was 2016.

5 wins (for us) since then. Nearly rivalling the 6 wins for North from 2002-07 during the Dani Laidley years when Sheedy couldn’t crack the code.

It would be pretty great for North (and predictable for flaky Essendon) that one of their wins would be against us this year.
Highly unlikely. Can’t see us winning a single game this year unfort

Not sure about Hawks but I'll argue about the Tigers.

After 2016 we'd had a horrible season (still won 8 games), but had also played finals the 3 years before then. We had a very good spine of players (Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin, Rance), and had a bunch of solid B graders who hadn't quite clicked yet (Edwards, Grimes, Astbury, Houli, Vlastuin). Then went and grabbed an A-grade (or close to it) mid in Prestia, another solid B-grader in Caddy, and Nankervis as a ruckman (which we hadn't had in a while). Looking back, we had the makings of a team, but just hadn't worked it out in terms of gamestyle, self-belief etc.

Contrasted to North, I don't think they have a solid spine of A-graders, or a big chunk of B-graders who can make the jump. It may come, but my guess is it's 4+ years away.

yep fair post. I meant earlier with the Tigers though. Round about the time that you looked at trading out Martin.From then was when you slowly turned things round. He matured into a fantastic player and as you said you did some great trading and slowly got better

I think we've got some good youth. We'll get some high picks and we've got plenty of money to buy in players. So things aren't great now,because as you rightly say our second tier players have been disappointing. But enough signs from the Adelaide game to show that there's a faint glimmer at the end of the tunnel, which I think will get brighter towards the end of the year. Especially when we get the likes of Tarrant ,Cunnington & MacDonald back with some match fitness behind them to shield the younger players a bit

yep fair post. I meant earlier with the Tigers though. Round about the time that you looked at trading out Martin.From then was when you slowly turned things round. He matured into a fantastic player and as you said you did some great trading and slowly got better

I think we've got some good youth. We'll get some high picks and we've got plenty of money to buy in players. So things aren't great now,because as you rightly say our second tier players have been disappointing. But enough signs from the Adelaide game to show that there's a faint glimmer at the end of the tunnel, which I think will get brighter towards the end of the year. Especially when we get the likes of Tarrant ,Cunnington & MacDonald back with some match fitness behind them to shield the younger players a bit
Ah ok yep I wasn't sure what period of the Tigers development was being talked about. The one similar thing regardless of period is we already had our really good core of players on the list. Maybe those similar type players are already on North's list and will take a few years to mature, and maybe not.

I'll be following the Roos with interest the next few years to see how it pans out.

Ah ok yep I wasn't sure what period of the Tigers development was being talked about. The one similar thing regardless of period is we already had our really good core of players on the list. Maybe those similar type players are already on North's list and will take a few years to mature, and maybe not.

I'll be following the Roos with interest the next few years to see how it pans out.

yeah if the likes of Simkins, LDU, MacKay,Larkey ,Bailey and Zuhaar etc take that next step and become good consistent AFL players I think we'll be ok.
Pretty confident about all of them apart from Zurhaar who seems to be more interested in his appearance than being a professional football player. Hopefully he turns it around

also pretty confident our draft picks from last year Powell, Phillips and Lazarro will turn out good too.Powell especially, he's been excellent for a skinny 18 year old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will win game/s. Remember how bad Adelaide were for most of last year?
I look at that crows side last season when they went 0-13.

Should of won at least 3 or 4 out of those 1st 10 games.

Had they done that, they would of finished 14th or 15th with 6 or 7 wins.

they were not that bad, just shot with injury. They reminded me of freo in 2016.

The other question is whether there 10,000 North fans willing to go to home games in Melbourne.

I reckon they will attract more fans in Tas this year.

If you read their board lol, they wont even head down to Geelong...no wonder they're so concerned about relocating, lol

Their midfield has talent there, but the forward line is, frankly, abysmal. When they traded Brown, I was sure they were going to draft MacDonald because Larkey is not a number 1 forward. I was extremely confused when that didn't transpire, and given whispers that next year's draft is stacked with mids, I'm even more so.

They must think McDonald is going to request a trade to West Coast like Tim Kelly did. West Coast will need a Kennedy replacement soon.

Sydney kind of get a free hit at McDonald - if he leaves, they still have Campbell from the Academy as elite talent from this draft. North don't have that same advantage.

They must think McDonald is going to request a trade to West Coast like Tim Kelly did. West Coast will need a Kennedy replacement soon.

Sydney kind of get a free hit at McDonald - if he leaves, they still have Campbell from the Academy as elite talent from this draft. North don't have that same advantage.

The Swans also have that Bloods culture that someone let's them retain most of Their interstate players, something North (and almost every other team in the league) doesn't.

I would have taken Denver if I was North under that scenario, but Phillips looked really good at times against the Crows, and Powell already looks like a solid 200 game player.

They have been hurt by injuries to some of Their key players (Tarrant) and kids with big upside (Comben, Perez etc)

Things are not as grim as it looks for North imo, not sure if David Noble is the right coach for them (at least long term) going towards for North.

Feels like another Brendon Bolton at Carlton scenario, play the kids and change the culture of the place for the better. (Maybe McCartney at The Dogs as well)

Is that some badge of honour, lol? Just sounds like weak supporter behaviour to be honest.
Calm down sport. First of all it’s a pain in the bum to get a ticket there, second of all it’s a pain in the bum to get there, third of all its a pain in the bum to win there.

I go there if I can, and I can’t speak for other teams, but to write off supporter bases and call them ‘weak’ because they don’t want to go to a place where games shouldn’t even be played anymore is silly.

Calm down sport. First of all it’s a pain in the bum to get a ticket there, second of all it’s a pain in the bum to get there, third of all its a pain in the bum to win there.

I go there if I can, and I can’t speak for other teams, but to write off supporter bases and call them ‘weak’ because they don’t want to go to a place where games shouldn’t even be played anymore is silly.

Lol ok 'champ.' Yet Geelong supporters are expected to travel down the highway to play you guys at Marvel? Seems a little odd to have the attitude of 'you guys shouldn't even have games there', when we've invested significant funds to get our capacity up, and that capacity will reach 40K when Stage 5 is done - only 10K less than Marvel.

It's a train ride from Geelong to Southern Cross... it's the exact same going the other way. It is weak to not go see your team play away, purely for the reasoning of 'well they shouldn't have a stadium, we never win there, and it's hard to get to.'

You're the one who has now stated 'no-one heads down to Geelong and 'games shouldn't even be played there anymore'...and you don't see that as incendiary to Cats supporters?

Sorry, I guess we should just play over an hour away, to satiate the Melbourne club supporters who can't be bothered travelling an hour - when all other teams in the league have a stadium within 20 minutes of their team's suburb.

But sure, let's make us the exception.

May be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t mind this team. Haven’t seen one cheap shot from the young kids. Very un-North like.
With the likes of Ziebell and Cunnington hanging around as 'leaders', there's still plenty of time for them to impart the faux tough guy style on the young kids.

Lol ok 'champ.' Yet Geelong supporters are expected to travel down the highway to play you guys at Marvel? Seems a little odd to have the attitude of 'you guys shouldn't even games there', when we've invested significant funds to get our capacity up, and that capacity will reach 40K when Stage 5 is done - only 10K less than Marvel.

It's a train ride from Geelong to Southern Cross... it's the exact same going the other way. It is weak to not go see your team play away, purely for the reasoning of 'well they shouldn't have a stadium, we never win there, and it's hard to get to.'

You're the one who has now stated 'no-one heads down to Geelong and 'games shouldn't even be played there anymore'...and you don't see that as incendiary to Cats supporters?

Sorry, I guess we should just play over an hour away, to satiate the Melbourne club supporters who can't be bothered travelling an hour - when all other teams have a stadium within 20 minutes of their team's suburb.

But sure, let's make us the exception.
You are a bit touchy aren’t you.

Do you think I live at Southern Cross station. It takes me an hour alone to get there. Geelong even longer.

The issue with home games in Geelong isn’t capacity, it’s the fact that every single other team in the state plays their home games in shared stadium, except you guys.

And as you just pointed out, there’s a direct V Line from Geelong to Southern Cross.

And I wouldn’t throw dirt at other teams for not going to games away from home. I distinctly remember your supporter base not being bothered to turn up to multiple preliminary finals, qualifying finals and home and away games at the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back