Review Round 4 vs Carlton @ Metricon Stadium (10.04.21 - 7:25pm)

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was looking at the Facebook feed and one poster stated that the Suns have won 2 games since round 8 last year

if that is correct, why is Dew still in charge, we looked as bad as ever on the weekend and the above is quite damning to the narrative of improvement

They were briefly questioning his W/L record on RSN yesterday morning saying his losses are worse than eade
IMG_5424.JPG

I can’t see what the game plan is.. in bursts there’s fast play through the middle like in the NMFC game they were calling the corridor “the Gold Coast highway” but most of the time is slow chip it around bomb it down the line create a stoppage

Looks like rankine has been clamped down not allowed to play on his flashy instincts like a Bolton from Richmond or picket from Melbourne

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
They were briefly questioning his W/L record on RSN yesterday morning saying his losses are worse than eade
View attachment 1101272

I can’t see what the game plan is.. in bursts there’s fast play through the middle like in the NMFC game they were calling the corridor “the Gold Coast highway” but most of the time is slow chip it around bomb it down the line create a stoppage

Looks like rankine has been clamped down not allowed to play on his flashy instincts like a Bolton from Richmond or picket from Melbourne
grim but i guess we all knew these stats in our head. now its on paper, dew is on thin ice.

i could probably list all 13 wins...........

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Assume an average AFL player at their position is C grade, a good player is B grade, a really good player is A grade, and top shelf is elite.

These are our regulars aged 25 and over.

Weller B+
Miller B
Lemmens C
Holman C
Atkins C
Collins A
Sexton B
Ellis B+
Swallow B
Witts A/Elite
Day C
Greenwood A
Harbrow D/C

Sorry, just don't think there is enough quality (yet) in the middle age bracket (we traded them for draft picks) where consistent play and mature bodies and professionalism live.

And out of that group, I think Weller is the only one that could be considered a match winner.

Bowes at 23 is the next oldest who might be an A grader. The potential stars on our list, the ones that can win games against teams like Carlton and the Crows, are all under 22.

And young players are nothing if not inconsistent (plus a bit skinny).

Nothing I have seen this year has changed my season view. We are a bog standard middle of the road team atm.
Play well and we can win some games, play OK and we will struggle, play a bit below our standard and we are not beating anyone.

We played OK at best against the Crows and Blues and lost.
In a couple of years, the plan is to have enough A graders where you can play OK and still win.

I will judge the coaching by the end of the year. Need to have enough games where we play well (only 1 so far, against the Eagles).

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think you give Dew the year, and judge the season in its entirety at the end. See where the club is at.

No one who would be a clear step up is available at the moment.

You would let him go on next year no doubt but there has to be some questions asked and some pressure applied

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
You would let him go on next year no doubt but there has to be some questions asked and some pressure applied
With the results being what they are you can’t allow this to continue on next year, unless there is significant change in the win loss ratio for the remainder of the year. I don’t think even the most optimist fan thinks that that’s going to happen

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
OK, some comments after watching the reply.

In summary, another step backwards, disappointing performance. The conditions were terrible – very dewy, high humidity. As a result, both teams looked extremely sloppy.

Before the game I expected we have a shot and we did. But no doubt Blues played better on the day and deserved to win.

Negatives
It got be physical appearance. With the season on the line and after disappointing loss to Crows, I expected SUNS to ambush Blues from the start. It did not happen at all. It was a slug-fest and SUNS looked in worse shape despite extra rest. Especially in the last quarter, but then in the last 3 mins the team pressed hard. Go figure. With limited rotations, 20 min quarters, teams are fatigued at the end of every quarter and basically the whole last quarter is a red time. We don’t execute well under fatigue.

There were momentum shifts. We dominated in some parts but not long enough.

Extra 14 turnovers killed us. The worst part was that a lot of them were under no pressure. Even though Macpherson brings pressure, he made 4-5 blunders.

No doubt we struggle to take the game on in key moments. The last quarter was a typical example. It was very stagnant, players looked off their feet. Ultimately, they had to kick it along the line and pressure was immediately back on them. Wish somebody would stand up, break the lines.

The players seemed to have less confidence, quite often in defense, they just blasted the ball even though they had some time.

Again, we missed opportunities. King missed easy snap early which would put us 2 goals up. I could continue but I will just highlight Sexton deciding to kick it to Ellis in the last quarter. It was Ellis who called for the ball.

We struggle in key moments. Every time when we came back and tied the score or even went ahead, we immediately allowed them to score back after mistakes.

Oppositions team are now putting a lot of analysis into how we try to play. Time to adjust. The typical example was Luko as Blues did a very good job on him. Luko looked hobbled.

Sometimes we struggled to keep structures and got sucked into contest. Murphy’s goal was a typical example when we left him alone on the wing.

Positives
We probably handled no recognized ruckman situation as well as we could. To win clearances was surprising. It did mess up our structures a bit.

We had more tackles including inside 50 and believe it or not more marks inside 50 (how did that happened).

Collins and Ballard were very good in my opinion. They handled 2 m boys McKay and Casboult well although not spoiling the ball on the line was costly.

Best player
Greenwood was enormous and played well on Cripps. I liked Anderson, Miller and Powell too.

Other Notes
Yes, Harbrow is not what he was but he did a decent job on Betts (who also looks done) in the second half after Lemmens went down.

I expected a bit more from Flanders in 2nd half. It was interesting to see Dew giving him some intense instructions on the bench.

There is a lot of doomsday scenarios around but I actually believe it will click for us sometime during the season. Unless we get another 8 knees.

Next game
I just can’t see how we can stand up to Martin and English duo and their loaded midfield. Surprise me but I am expecting 50+ loss.

GO SUNS.

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Here is another interesting stat
Leaders in this area are Hugh Greenwood and Touk Miller who are ranked first and second in the competition respectively for tackles, while the SUNS can also boast to have five of the top 25 tacklers in the league.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Assume an average AFL player at their position is C grade, a good player is B grade, a really good player is A grade, and top shelf is elite.

These are our regulars aged 25 and over.

Weller B+
Miller B
Lemmens C
Holman C
Atkins C
Collins A
Sexton B
Ellis B+
Swallow B
Witts A/Elite
Day C
Greenwood A
Harbrow D/C
I think you're being a bit generous here
This is my take - have put some 'benchmarks' too

Weller B+
Miller B
Lemmens D/C (but improving) - Small defenders - Elite: Lloyd, A: Baker, B: Hardwick, C: Luke Brown, D: Neville Jetta
Holman D - Pressure forward - Elite: Tom Papley, A: Dan Butler, B: Jamie Cripps, C: Zac Fisher, D: Kayne Turner
Atkins C
Collins A
Sexton C - Offensive small forward - Elite: Cameron, A: Luke Breust, B: Gryan Miers, C: Lincoln McCarthy , D: Jack Lonie
Ellis B
Swallow C - Mid / forwards - Elite: Dustin Martin, A: Jack Billings, B: Chad Wingard, C: Patrick Lipinski, D: Steven Motlop
Witts A - Rucks - Elite: Gawn, A: Todd Goldstein, B: Scott Lycett, C: Oscar Mcinerny D: Mark Pittonet
Day D/C - Centre half forward - Elite: , A: Jack Darling, B: Matt Taberner , C: Brody Mihocek, D: Mitch Mcgovern
Greenwood A
Harbrow D - See Above

Back