A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yawn. Sporting capital of the world. How are Melbourne City going compared to WSW?

The current fanbase who completely deserted the side when they were sh*t? Don't pretend that Central Coast supporters aren't any less fairweather. Speaking of, how are Melbourne Victory crowds going?

Dwindling? Have you even watched this season at all?
Yes, dwindling. There's games with 8k viewers on TV

The fact that I and 1000's of others are watching less than ever before is proof that it is in fact dwindling. Not sure how this could be disputed tbh

But yeah, another Sydney team will fix it

Yawn. Sporting capital of the world. How are Melbourne City going compared to WSW?

The current fanbase who completely deserted the side when they were sh*t? Don't pretend that Central Coast supporters aren't any less fairweather. Speaking of, how are Melbourne Victory crowds going?

Dwindling? Have you even watched this season at all?

It's painfully moronic to put this season's Victory crowds down to results.

Yes, dwindling. There's games with 8k viewers on TV

The fact that I and 1000's of others are watching less than ever before is proof that it is in fact dwindling. Not sure how this could be disputed tbh

But yeah, another Sydney team will fix it
The numbers dont lie it is dwindling with the amount of people watching the league. But the question still is why? The actual games being played are more entertaining than ever.

As for the Northern beaches getting a side in Sydney it's not the worst idea. Central Coast is broke and the rural model isn't sustainable for them. Playing 90% of their home games in Manly with a couple of home games back at Gosford might be the only way they survive. A club like Manchester United buying them ensures they stick around for as long as the league does, but they only buy a club based in a big city. Central Coast has a population under 200k. Northern suburbs of Sydney would well eclipse that. Sydney is big enough for 4-5 geographically spread clubs

Sydney FC - central/south/east
WSW - west
MacArthur - SW
North Sydney Utd - north

Could argue that Woolongong deserve a side more than Central Coast as well.

It's painfully moronic to put this season's Victory crowds down to results.

Amazing, would have thought their fans would turn up to support the lads through thick and thin, after all Melbourne is the SpOrTiNg CaPiTaL of Australia!

It's always funny how 'protesting the owners' is wheeled out as an excuse conveniently right when the side is s**t and people can't be assed going anyway. If Victory were flying at the top of the table I reckon they wouldn't be so quick to 'make a stand'.

The numbers dont lie it is dwindling with the amount of people watching the league. But the question still is why? The actual games being played are more entertaining than ever.

As for the Northern beaches getting a side in Sydney it's not the worst idea. Central Coast is broke and the rural model isn't sustainable for them. Playing 90% of their home games in Manly with a couple of home games back at Gosford might be the only way they survive. A club like Manchester United buying them ensures they stick around for as long as the league does, but they only buy a club based in a big city. Central Coast has a population under 200k. Northern suburbs of Sydney would well eclipse that. Sydney is big enough for 4-5 geographically spread clubs

WSW - west
MacArthur - SW
North Sydney Utd - north

Spot on. The rural model just isn't sustainable going forward.

Spot on. The rural model just isn't sustainable going forward.
There has to be a population cap or sizeable businesses based within a rural area. The Central Coast doesn't work. Newcastle can work. Geelong can work. Woollongon can work in my opinion. Gold Coast properly done can work.

Amazing, would have thought their fans would turn up to support the lads through thick and thin, after all Melbourne is the SpOrTiNg CaPiTaL of Australia!

It's always funny how 'protesting the owners' is wheeled out as an excuse conveniently right when the side is sh*t and people can't be assed going anyway.
If Victory were flying at the top of the table I reckon they wouldn't be so quick to 'make a stand'.

No one used that excuse.

I reckon a global ******* pandemic that actually stopped people going had more to do with it.

No one who doesn't live here should pretend to understand the last 12 months in Melbourne and the impacts of it, and * anyone who thinks they can make a cheap point about sporting crowds because of it.

WSW - west
MacArthur - SW
North Sydney Utd - north

I don't like the idea of moving CCM to Sydney. But IF it is to happen there is definitely a market for the a north Sydney side, after all the old saying in rugby league is Manly fans dont cross the bridge. Central Coast can work if the person behind it wants it (and I think people in and around Gosford will enjoy the team staying), but there is only 300k in the region.

I'm OK with this but would prefer the club stay in Gosford, hopefully if it goes ahead the club can still have a presence on the Central Coast.

Manchester United in talks to buy Central Coast Mariners

One of the most popular teams in world football is looking to establish a franchise club in the A-League with Manchester United having entered into talks to purchase the licence of Central Coast Mariners and relocate the club to Sydney.

The 20-time English champions have held lengthy discussions with Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth in the UK about buying the licence of Central Coast and turning the club into a sister club of the Red Devils.

A deal is yet to be done but sources with knowledge of the discussions suggest Manchester United are willing to come to the rescue of the cash-strapped Mariners. That could come at the expense of the club’s affiliation with the Central Coast region and be rebranded.

The proposed takeover could see the Mariners uprooted from their spiritual home on the Central Coast and relocated to Sydney’s northern suburbs, with games likely to be at North Sydney or Brookvale.

Any transfer of club licence, rebranding and relocation of teams must be signed off by Football Australia after gaining the approval of the majority of A-League clubs, but it’s understood several are already supportive of the prospect of the Red Devils entering the competition hoping it will increase the interest and investment in the league.

United’s discussions with the Mariners flags their intentions to follow in the footsteps of their cross-town rivals, Manchester City, and build a global network of affiliated clubs, particularly within range of the lucrative Asian football market.

City expanded their network of feeder and sister clubs with the purchase of Melbourne Heart in 2014, rebranding the A-League club as Melbourne City and incorporating it into the City Football Group global network.

City paid more than $11 million for an 80 per-cent stake in Melbourne Heart in 2014 before buying the remaining 20 per-cent for $2.25 million. A price tag for the licence of the Mariners is yet to be agreed upon with United but any fee would be but a drop in the ocean for one of the wealthiest sporting brands in the world.

Owned by the wealthy American Glazer family, Manchester United’s revenue was $905 million last year and the club was listed as the tenth most valuable sporting team in the world by Forbes in 2020, said to be worth more than $5 billion. In the last summer transfer window, the club’s net expenditure on players was $101 million. Of all football clubs, they have the third largest social media following with just shy of 150 million.

Despite the gulf in stature between the two clubs, the Mariners have a longstanding close tie with Manchester United's inner sanctum. The Red Devils' assistant coach, Mike Phelan, was appointed sporting director of Central Coast in late 2018.

United is arguably the most well-supported overseas team among Australian football fans. They attracted a sell-out crowd of more than 83,000 when they came to Sydney in 2013 to play the A-League All Stars at ANZ Stadium. Fourteen years earlier, the Red Devils drew a combined attendance of 148,000 when they played Australia in two exhibition games at the MCG and Stadium Australia.

No one used that excuse.

I reckon a global ******* pandemic that actually stopped people going had more to do with it.

No one who doesn't live here should pretend to understand the last 12 months in Melbourne and the impacts of it, and fu** anyone who thinks they can make a cheap point about sporting crowds because of it.

What caps on crowds are there in Melbourne at the moment? Seems to be no issue in the AFL.

Brain dead? It's been in the works/talked about for a long time and would unlock a huge chunk of Sydney without a team. I know for instance that a lot of my friends and myself who currently have a reasonably passing interest in going to A-League games would go a whole lot more, and the train from the Central Coast into Sydney is 30-40 minutes so CCM fans would still be able to get there reasonably easily.

Somehow The North Sydney Red Devils is not going to win over many Central Coast fans..

Although granted it would get a more overseas interest in the A League, I don't like the idea of relocating a regional team.. Sydney have enough teams as it is.

Somehow The North Sydney Red Devils is not going to win over many Central Coast fans..

Although granted it would get a more overseas interest in the A League, I don't like the idea of relocating a regional team.. Sydney have enough teams as it is.

You support Melbourne City who rebranded ffs. Have an ounce of self awareness.

And if it doesn't win over CCM fans then so what? The club will do what it needs to survive.

And if it doesn't win over CCM fans then so what? The club will do what it needs to survive.
Melbourne Heart weren't exactly a side with anything worth holding onto though. And I think I can say that with pretty good honesty and authority as someone who attempted to support them. Central Coast at least is a region, decent colours & a successful past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew several good friends I met at Melbourne Heart games and functions who no longer support the club or a league (as far as I know)

Bit arrogant of you to presume to speak on behalf of CCM supporters ? Have you seen the response so far on Twitter?

This takeover would kill off the club effectively.

I knew several good friends I met at Melbourne Heart games and functions who no longer support the club or a league (as far as I know)

Bit arrogant of you to presume to speak on behalf of CCM supporters ? Have you seen the response so far on Twitter?

This takeover would kill off the club effectively.

Club will die soon anyway if there isn't a change in the financial regulations of the league. Their owner wants out too.

Club will die soon anyway if there isn't a change in the financial regulations of the league. Their owner wants out too.
Owner obviously wants out, but I'm not sure its the financial regulations; the team has been on the market for over a year now. Overall the league owners are happy and if the owner does hand back the licence its more likely to continue through a combined forces of other clubs like Newcastle.

I don't like the idea of rebranding, and I don't think moving the club is necessary (even if man u takeover), but the idea of a North Sydney team (although unnecessary and with the perfect number of teams in the region) it could work very well.

Owner obviously wants out, but I'm not sure its the financial regulations; the team has been on the market for over a year now. Overall the league owners are happy and if the owner does hand back the licence its more likely to continue through a combined forces of other clubs like Newcastle.

I don't like the idea of rebranding, and I don't think moving the club is necessary (even if man u takeover), but the idea of a North Sydney team (although unnecessary and with the perfect number of teams in the region) it could work very well.

He has spoken at length at the fact the lack of transfer fees hamstrings the club. They produce so many gun young talents but get absolutely nothing (or very close to it) for them.

He has spoken at length at the fact the lack of transfer fees hamstrings the club. They produce so many gun young talents but get absolutely nothing (or very close to it) for them.
They got a decent fee for Kuol didn't they?

Think they've got the right idea getting in Stajic as manager and trying to be a youth focused feeder club to Europe. Adam Peacock's article makes a good point. It's all hot air when these things get "leaked" to the press. When there's actually something like this happening it's kept very secretive until it's pretty much done.

Think they've got the right idea getting in Stajic as manager and trying to be a youth focused feeder club to Europe. Adam Peacock's article makes a good point. It's all hot air when these things get "leaked" to the press. When there's actually something like this happening it's kept very secretive until it's pretty much done.
Ftbl has an article up stating the it is all speculation, sourcing the mariners themselves.

I think the owner just wants out and ccm have always been very good when focusing on being a European feeder. Alot more transfer funds are going to be possible in the coming years.

Yeah I remember the City takeover of Melbourne Heart came totally out of nowhere. No leaks or anything.

What caps on crowds are there in Melbourne at the moment? Seems to be no issue in the AFL.

Suggest you go and look at the crowd figures in comparison to 2019.

And also suggest you look into the restrictions that were in place for the A-League when the AFL started.

If you're going to talk s**t you should at least do some cursory research to figure out what you're talking about.

Suggest you go and look at the crowd figures in comparison to 2019.

And also suggest you look into the restrictions that were in place for the A-League when the AFL started.

If you're going to talk sh*t you should at least do some cursory research to figure out what you're talking about.

Suggest you realise I'm talking about Victory compared to other clubs this season who are also experiencing COVID.

All I'm hearing are excuses for a fairweather fanbase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back