Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Rogue Robot

Cancelled
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the AFL business model is about more games across more days I don't see why they would "relocate" a side when they can build a new franchise from scratch in TAS, another side in WA would also be an income generating entity too.

It's easy to pot North at the moment because they are on the bottom of the ladder, but I believe they can come out of this rebuild and are on the right path to create a competitive list.
Is there enough talent available to sustain 20 teams?

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
6 to 10 years would be a quick rebuild for your mob.

You could argue this is the first time North have rebuilt in 30 years. it wont be easy, but it also wont be 6 to 10 years.

Their kids are fine and will come along beautifully.

North will have 40,000 members this year so hardly "no supporter base"
Norf lost a game on the weekend they could have won. The fact is that they lost by 41 points to the reigning wooden spooners of 2020.
If you believe this rebuild will be done in 6 years you are seriously delusional. Your senior leaders are fed up playing in a crap team and you could see it with some of the stupid free kicks they gave away. 13,500 attendance probably sums it up. Forget attracting any decent recruit and even if you get draft concessions, no guarantee they will stay. Trying to work out how Norf is even coming close to their salary cap. Who is getting the money??

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Norf lost a game on the weekend they could have won. The fact is that they lost by 41 points to the reigning wooden spooners of 2020.
If you believe this rebuild will be done in 6 years you are seriously delusional. Your senior leaders are fed up playing in a crap team and you could see it with some of the stupid free kicks they gave away. 13,500 attendance probably sums it up. Forget attracting any decent recruit and even if you get draft concessions, no guarantee they will stay. Trying to work out how Norf is even coming close to their salary cap. Who is getting the money??

Which senior players are fed up? We won 10 games in the last full season s they must have turned pretty quickly. The ones i know personally aren't saying anything like that.

The fact is the team is built around kids. Phillips, Stephenson, LDU, Thomas, Larkey, Mckay, Simpkin, Powell all 23 and under. All playing week in week out.

Yes it is painful now, but it turns around quick for most clubs who do things right.

Not many players on big money at North, especially when the key is to retain all the youth. We havent thrown 800k at players who cant get on the park like other clubs...

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Only if they invest more in grass roots, particularly in non-footy states. You're only now starting to see the talent pool catch up to the last two expansion sides, and even then you've still got some really poor sides.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Actually.

Pouring millions into Tasmanian grass roots would increase the talent pool as much as QLD or NSW based on historical evidence.

The biggest drain on the talent pool may be the lack of Tasmanian draftable talent.

It's probably the AFL's biggest mistake in the last 20 years, letting Tasmanian grass roots be lost to basketball and soccer.

There's probably 20-30 less Tasmanian footballers on AFL lists at the moment as any decade in history. Amongst every decade, that talent pool was littered with Coleman medalists, Brownlow medalists etc.

It's impacted the top end as well as the total talent pool.

Last edited:

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where have I stated merge or relocate in this post?

Ive stated they need to invest more to get to the level of other clubs. eg west coast

You realise West Coast is the by far the richest club in the AFL don't you?

Why don't Port "invest more" to get the $100m that West Coast currently have in cash reserves.

There's literally no other club in the league that comes close to that, so I'm unsure why you are using them as a yard stick.

We are debt free and the State Government is likely to announce another $10-20m allocated to Arden St as part of the Arden precinct upgrades.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You realise West Coast is the by far the richest club in the AFL don't you?

Why don't Port "invest more" to get the $100m that West Coast currently have in cash reserves.

There's literally no other club in the league that comes close to that, so I'm unsure why you are using them as a yard stick.

We are debt free and the State Government is likely to announce another $10-20m allocated to Arden St as part of the Arden precinct upgrades.

I do realise they are one of the highest investment clubs in the league. Do you realise they are one of the most consistently competitive clubs in the league? Do you realise that their investments in facilities allow them to be better prepared onfield compared those with substandard facilities?

Port do not ‘invest’ in cash reserves. As a club aware of its community obligations not being compromised by its onfield aspirations and vice versa, Port spends all of its revenue (and some of everyone else’s!) meeting community obligations and aspiring for success.

And you believe the Victorian State Government is going to invest in Arden Street for the exclusive use of North?

As I continue to stress, it appears that North are investing in survival - plugging the dam wall if you will. I want North to aim for success - and that requires investing in success rather than survival.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I do realise they are one of the highest investment clubs in the league. Do you realise they are one of the most consistently competitive clubs in the league? Do you realise that their investments in facilities allow them to be better prepared onfield compared those with substandard facilities?

Port do not ‘invest’ in cash reserves. As a club aware of its community obligations not being compromised by its onfield aspirations and vice versa, Port spends all of its revenue (and some of everyone else’s!) meeting community obligations and aspiring for success.

And you believe the Victorian State Government is going to invest in Arden Street for the exclusive use of North?

As I continue to stress, it appears that North are investing in survival - plugging the dam wall if you will. I want North to aim for success - and that requires investing in success rather than survival.

What do you mean "highest investment clubs"? You sound like a complete novice, sorry.

They have a shitload of revenue, huge cash reserves, capital holdings etc.

No club invests in cash reserves, that's my point. The fact that WCE have cash reserves topping $100m on top of their capital holdings and their revenue should give you an idea of their wealth and power.

Yes, I do realise they are one of the most consistently competitive clubs in the league, not hard to understand why though?

WCE are likely the first club to own their own ground, have their own TV rights deals etc in the next 30-40 years.

I have absolutely no idea why you are comparing North to them.

I can make the same argument about all 17 other clubs vs them, including Richmond/Collingwood, they aren't even in the same ballpark.

Ahh, yes? It's a piece of a $1bn+ precinct redevelopment project. I don't think an additional $15-$30m is going to be an issue for a facility that is also hosting AFLW games.

I mean we've received $20m to date and St Kilda just received something around the tune of $40m for their upgrade and the government are building a $400m train station directly below Arden St.

Victoria's economy is 4.5 x the size of South Australia's so we tend to have a bit more money to throw around...

Last edited:

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What do you mean "highest investment clubs"? You sound like a complete novice, sorry.

They have a shitload of revenue, huge cash reserves, capital holdings etc.

No club invests in cash reserves, that's my point. The fact that WCE have cash reserves topping $100m on top of their capital holdings and their revenue should give you an idea of their wealth and power.

Yes, I do realise they are one of the most consistently competitive clubs in the league, not hard to understand why though?

WCE are likely the first club to own their own ground, have their own TV rights deals etc in the next 30-40 years.

I have absolutely no idea why you are comparing North to them.

I can make the same argument about all 17 other clubs vs them, including Richmond/Collingwood, they aren't even in the same ballpark.

Ahh, yes? It's a piece of a $1bn+ precinct redevelopment project. I don't think an additional $15-$30m is going to be an issue for a facility that is also hosting AFLW games.

I mean we've received $20m to date and St Kilda just received something around the tune of $40m for their upgrade and the government are building a $400m train station directly below Arden St.

Victoria's economy is 4.5 x the size of South Australia's so we tend to have a bit more money to throw around...

I'm really not going to bother - I wish North the best and hope their strategy puts them in a position to aim for success. Have a good week.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can North give a free membership for every existing member to gift to a friend like Carlton are allegedly doing?

Do those membership numbers count?

I actually think it's a great gimmick, because chances are some of those people will take a slight bit more interest in footy and like it enough to pay money next season.
Will work well if free in the 1st year and then on automatic renewal each year at full price

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The "Lions" didn't move anywhere.
A serious question which I think you may be one of the few who could answer.
Can the AFL decide on which competition a club can play in? For instance, could they move North to the VFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Can the AFL decide on which competition a club can play in? For instance, could they move North to the VFL?

No. All the AFL can do is withdraw the licence to play in the AFL competition (as long as the majority of AFL clubs agree). They could probably restrict clubs from playing in the VFL (given that's effectively the AFL reserves these day).

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
No. All the AFL can do is withdraw the licence to play in the AFL competition (as long as the majority of AFL clubs agree). They could probably restrict clubs from playing in the VFL (given that's effectively the AFL reserves these day).
Thanks

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Which senior players are fed up? We won 10 games in the last full season s they must have turned pretty quickly. The ones i know personally aren't saying anything like that.

The fact is the team is built around kids. Phillips, Stephenson, LDU, Thomas, Larkey, Mckay, Simpkin, Powell all 23 and under. All playing week in week out.

Yes it is painful now, but it turns around quick for most clubs who do things right.

Not many players on big money at North, especially when the key is to retain all the youth. We havent thrown 800k at players who cant get on the park like other clubs...
You haven't thrown any money at anyone. Cunnington was going around head hunting on the weekend, and his body language made it obvious he would have preferred to have been somewhere else like the races.

Kids need to come into an environment where they are allowed to develop. North is throwing them into the fire and expecting them to not only develop but then become super stars. This explains why they are failing to run out games. They are not fit enough yet at their early age and it is going to take 2-3 seasons for most of them to develop their engines, assuming they do not break down with injury or get sacked because of poor form. It does not take much for kids to lose confidence at this level. Smart clubs will wait in the wings and pick up some of these kids and then give them the time they need.

What North has done looks sound on paper, but it rarely works. They need experienced big mature bodies around the kids.
Round 1-Lost by 52 points to Port
Round 2-Lost by 59 points to GCS
Round 3-Lost by 128 points to Dogs
Round 4-Lost by 41 points to Adelaide.

This week they face the biggest front running team in the competition with their huge forwards. it is going to be a cricket score...
I can't help feeling that this is all part of a bigger plan to relocate North to Tassie next year, and then inject them with draft picks.

I can't help feeling that Buckley may end up coaching North or Tassie or whatever name they are if they do relocate and get some concessions. I feel so sorry for Noble. Even when you type North Melbourne senior coach into google Brendan Whitecross name and picture comes up.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You haven't thrown any money at anyone. Cunnington was going around head hunting on the weekend, and his body language made it obvious he would have preferred to have been somewhere else like the races.

Kids need to come into an environment where they are allowed to develop. North is throwing them into the fire and expecting them to not only develop but then become super stars. This explains why they are failing to run out games. They are not fit enough yet at their early age and it is going to take 2-3 seasons for most of them to develop their engines, assuming they do not break down with injury or get sacked because of poor form. It does not take much for kids to lose confidence at this level. Smart clubs will wait in the wings and pick up some of these kids and then give them the time they need.

What North has done looks sound on paper, but it rarely works. They need experienced big mature bodies around the kids.

This week they face the biggest front running team in the competition with their huge forwards. it is going to be a cricket score...
I can't help feeling that this is all part of a bigger plan to relocate North to Tassie next year, and then inject them with draft picks.

I can't help feeling that Buckley may end up coaching North or Tassie or whatever name they are if they do relocate and get some concessions. I feel so sorry for Noble. Even when you type North Melbourne senior coach into google Brendan Whitecross name and picture comes up.

You are delusional.

i was also referring to your broken mob paying Curnow 800k a year for 3 games.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood

So you just described Carltons blueprint, so does this mean Carlton may be going to Tassie, or Carlton, North merge?

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
314028.4.jpg

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have we decided on whether we’re keeping them around or not?
I know this is everyone's dream for Norf to fail and be relocated by force but I can assure you that it WON'T happen. The AFL has very little chance of forcing a move to Tas likely due to contractual obligations and such and the huge payout the AFL would have to endure to make it happen.

I'd think it is more likely that the AFL would "persuade" the Hawks to relocate well before introducing a 19th team.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
I know this is everyone's dream for Norf to fail and be relocated by force but I can assure you that it WON'T happen. The AFL has very little chance of forcing a move to Tas likely due to contractual obligations and such and the huge payout the AFL would have to endure to make it happen.

I'd think it is more likely that the AFL would "persuade" the Hawks to relocate well before introducing a 19th team.
Ok Kane.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
So you just described Carltons blueprint, so does this mean Carlton may be going to Tassie, or Carlton, North merge?
Carlton, Essendon & Melbourne have spent 20 years in the wilderness because they have failed to get their recruiting right and or develop a plan.
North just wiped the slate clean and started again. There is something else behind that plan. Hire a no-name coach who can be replaced quickly. It has all of the markings of a relocation. Sponsors can be appeased and contracts re-negotiated. A State Premier dangling a huge deal....

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Carlton, Essendon & Melbourne have spent 20 years in the wilderness because they have failed to get their recruiting right and or develop a plan.
North just wiped the slate clean and started again. There is something else behind that plan. Hire a no-name coach who can be replaced quickly. It has all of the markings of a relocation. Sponsors can be appeased and contracts re-negotiated. A State Premier dangling a huge deal....
Carlton traded in so many ex GWS players, I thought the AFL were secretly relocating GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back