List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks. So, interesting that there’s no NGA in this top 20 so the new rule may not come into effect this year.
If you thought the AFL was a bit corrupt then you might think that now that clubs don't get a benefit from their NGA player being top twenty so they all stop talking about them being there.

Father sons aside.

Seriously tho whilst another big mid would be nice and Johnson certainly projects as gun prospect ,I’m with Joao inthat I think pace(line breaking) and kicking skills is more important for our midfield- especially if you consider it’s every chance that’s where Chapman ends up too.

For that reason I like sounds josh sinn, -pack busting pace ,good left boot , runs both ways AND still good size (187)

That all said short of cerra leaving can’t see how we get into that top 5- even if we trade in next years first , which I’d be more than happy to do but in that case given wher our picks would land id still go two ofVan rooyan/Williams/bazzo

JealousFixedAsianwaterbuffalo-max-1mb.gif

Seriously tho whilst another big mid would be nice and Johnson certainly projects as gun prospect ,I’m with Joao inthat I think pace(line breaking) and kicking skills is more important for our midfield- especially if you consider it’s every chance that’s where Chapman ends up too.

For that reason I like sounds josh sinn, -pack busting pace ,good left boot , runs both ways AND still good size (187)
1618276508186.png

That all said short of cerra leaving can’t see how we get into that top 5- even if we trade in next years first , which I’d be more than happy to do but in that case given wher our picks would land id still go two ofVan rooyan/Williams/bazzo
Erasmus would also be in my local players list.

Not quite sure why posters assume Johnson isn’t fast, but neither is Mundy. We have Henry, O’Driscoll, Walker and Western as incoming players with some midfield pace. If we were losing Cerra Johnson would be a great draft target.

I’m also not going to assume Chapman ends up on the midfield.

SANFL 2021: No. 1 pick contender Jason Horne and Crows draftee’s return headline five things we learnt
Andrew Capel, Peter Cornwall, Luke Marchioro and Ben CameronNews Corp Australia
Mon, 12 April 2021 4:54PMComments

South Adelaide coach Jarrad Wright has hailed teenage sensation Jason Horne a ‘special player’.

South Adelaide coach Jarrad Wright has hailed teenage sensation Jason Horne a ‘special player’.Credit: SANFL

South Adelaide coach Jarrad Wright has hailed teenage sensation Jason Horne a “special player” after he stood up to some rough treatment to play a key role in the club’s upset win against grand finalist North Adelaide at Prospect Oval on Saturday.
Wright accused the Roosters of “targeting” the 17-year-old, who is odds-on to be the first Croweater selected at this year's AFL national draft, during the match and was full of admiration for the way he rose from the canvas to kick a crucial goal which put the Panthers ahead for good in the third quarter.
“It was a tough, physical game and it was a little bit disappointing that they came after Jason, a 17-year-old, and were scrapping and punching him behind the play,” Wright said after his side’s hard-fought, character-building, 11-point win.
“For a 17-year-old kid to put up with that for four quarters and then have an ice cold finish in the third quarter was nice.
“Not too many players, particularly one as young as him, would be able to do that, which again highlighted just how good he is.”
Horne was awarded a free kick at the northern end of Prospect Oval following a melee which saw several players from both sides hit the deck.

He coolly slotted the set shot from 30 metres as South, a preliminary finalist last season, fought back from a 12-point half-time deficit to remain unbeaten after two rounds.

Wright was angry at North’s treatment of Horne, describing it as “a bit too much”.

But he praised his ability to not only deal with it but come through with flying colours and play such a significant role in the outcome.

Midfielder-forward Horne had 16 disposals, laid six tackles and kicked 1.2 in the low-scoring slugfest to enhance his high draft status, which has him in contention to be the No. 1 overall pick.

“I asked him (after the game) how he felt after getting treatment like that and he said, ‘I just deal with it and keep moving forward’,” Wright said.

“We need to do a better job of supporting him around those moments but we have plenty of good players for the opposition to come after, including (star veterans) Joel Cross and Bryce Gibbs, so I thought to pick on a 17-year-old kid was a bit much.

“But for opposition teams to go after a 17-year-old says something about him, it shows how highly he is rated.”
Wright described Horne as a “real competitor” and said he hadn’t seen too many teenagers like him.

“He would play in a lot of AFL teams right now if he was eligible,” he said.

“He's quick, powerful, doesn’t back down from a contest and is composed under pressure in critical moments, which he shows each week.

“He’s a southy through and through who was born and bred to compete.

“To be consistently doing what he is at 17 at league level shows what a special player he’s going to be.”

Horne had 19 disposals and kicked a goal in a midfield role against Adelaide in Round 1 before playing mostly forward against North.

“He played as a pure mid against the Crows but played only 65 per cent of game time because we’re managing his minutes after a long pre-season but he was still the third-highest rated player on the field,” Wright said.

“This week we held him more in the forward line because we know he's an excitement machine who can do some damage up there, which he showed.”

Eh? Valente is 187

Some size would be great, but actual football ability is way more important. Compare Serong to Ellis-Yolman.

I think we need speed and goals from midfield much, much more than we need size. I'd add footskills too since, as you rightly point out, Mundy is almost done (only 10 years left).
Must say, when I saw Valente on Saturday I was surprised how short he looks. Certainly stocky but didn't look 187cm.

There was a lot of hype around Bartlett this year but the early season talk is that he’s fallen off the draft radar a bit.
Henry still the only NGA prospect that looks like he could make it at AFL level so far
Do you know anything about where he is as a player currently?

Eh? Valente is 187

Some size would be great, but actual football ability is way more important. Compare Serong to Ellis-Yolman.

I think we need speed and goals from midfield much, much more than we need size. I'd add footskills too since, as you rightly point out, Mundy is almost done (10 years max left).
Luckily Johnson's got stacks of football ability. Quick, kicks it well, kicks goals, takes marks and wins contested ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can finally make a contribution to this thread. May I introduce you all to Lachlan Grubb. He is 17, wingman/small forward 175cm, 70kg in the SANFL league. He has quite a few highlight vids already on YouTube so give him a look. He's bloody fast, can leap and has goal sense.

I can finally make a contribution to this thread. May I introduce you all to Lachlan Grubb. He is 17, wingman/small forward 175cm, 70kg in the SANFL league. He has quite a few highlight vids already on YouTube so give him a look. He's bloody fast, can leap and has goal sense.

Nice little highlights reel. He’s available in the mid season draft I believe.

Jeez he's quick.

Yeah I've thought that for a long while as well.

Meanwhile Van Rooyen not doing much for Claremont yet. Words at Freo training to tone it down seem to have worked.
my only knock on him is that he grew up supporting us, not sure what that says about his decision making

Remove this Banner Ad

Back