malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Cerra's game was Gaff-like, wonder if that's the optimum role for him going forward, a hybrid inside-outside wingish type, seems to suit him and his ability to read the play and not get caught up in the guts.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Walters is definitely not one of the players who has benefited under Longmuir. Not sure what is going on with him, maybe he’s still salty about not playing midfield or maybe it’s just that he’s 30 and can’t play the way he used to. But I found myself cringing whenever he was in a contest today as I knew he would fall over then yell at the umpire for not giving him a free.

For a player in the leadership group, it’s just not a great look. It really pains me to say it as I ******* love Sonny.

Not aimed at you specifically MadEyeEmmy, it's the general narrative that Walters flaps around trying to milk for frees get's my goat.

It comes up constantly in commentating, most of that is lazy - and because they track hundreds of players and there is a grab bag of several standard lines about a given player. So Walters on the ground, he's "flapping around milking for a free" because that is the standard narrative rather than calling if the other player had the hands in the back, Ballas was distinctly called "pest" by everyone, important goal so you'd want Mundy to be kicking it etc. Walters weighs less than almost every opponent out there and I think it's as simple as, that he is just knocked over easily (as opposed to falling over milking it which is the narrative). He aint no Pav, who had a massive set of hips and build with it, so a low center of gravity and mass usually the same or more than the opponent that stopped him going over like a pin in a bowling alley.

All players ask for the frees that they think they are entitled to or when they think it's unfair against them (seen our defenders always remonstrating with the umps that both players were holding each other?). The issue is not with him asking for the frees (if he thinks someone infringed against the rules) it lies with the umpire for not adjudicating according to the rules. I don't blame the umpires for that either, it's a sport and it has rules, but the rules and directions to umpires are tampered with for "a look of the game" so it brings money in, rather than for fairness (free is there, but "the whistle is put away" etc) and common sense. I presume that he, along with many players has incentive payments and if goals are one of those things, the umpire not paying a legitimate free in front of goal might have cost him $2000, if it were me I'd be telling the umpire in that situation to do their job.

He will be picked by the coach every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He is coaching on field, he always flies the flag when players are roughed up nearby rather than standing nearby looking on, he runs up to everyone after a goal and gees them up - and also very often when they have just been given their 30 seconds for a shot at goal which I presume is on field coaching (settle, swirling wind up high got to account for that etc), he's also directing traffic constantly. On top of that put's in a mountain of work every game, his GPS tracker has to work hard for a living. His effectiveness is probably hampered by too much haste, the team is still young and Walters is putting in extra to make up for them, while Andy might have hit 30 plus possessions in some games his young peers aren't at the top of their game yet. When the team matures - if he is still playing, he will be told by the coach to dial down the maniacal efforts and he will look silky again.

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
O'Meara is a hipster pretty boy flog!
Yeah sad to see a guy with the sort of talent he has resort to thuggery. At one point in the second q I think, I saw him stick a knee into Brayshaw off the ball as Brayshaw was getting up after a contest. Wasn’t too much force in it but really a dog act he should be better than.

Can someone please explain to me what Sam Frost was arguing & sooking about when he threw that ball whilst being tackled by Colyer?
Take your punishment spud, it was a clear throw.
They probably get away with a throw most of the time, especially those flicks over their head where the hand holding the ball is what moves the ball to the player, not the fist that maybe contacts the ball at a near perpendicular angle.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
They probably get away with a throw most of the time, especially those flicks over their head where the hand holding the ball is what moves the ball to the player, not the fist that maybe contacts the ball at a near perpendicular angle.

Yep, this.

A rule that is not enforced, is it a rule? If it the umps let it slide a hundred times a game and you are the one called out for it, you'd be annoyed.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah sad to see a guy with the sort of talent he has resort to thuggery. At one point in the second q I think, I saw him stick a knee into Brayshaw off the ball as Brayshaw was getting up after a contest. Wasn’t too much force in it but really a dog act he should be better than.
I legitimately reckon JOM can't come to turns where he has ended up given how his first couple of years went. Had the AFL world at his feet back then and through injury it got taken away.

Then you add in he moved to the Hawks, which would have felt like the right move back then, who I think will struggle to make a meaningful impact on finals (if at all) before he retires and it's not hard to see where his frustration comes from. Reckon he (and Patton too) has a bit of woe is me about him.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You see it every weekend. A clear holding the ball where the player argues the point. At best a fingertip might have touched the ball but clearly HTB. The umpires are inconsistent with HTB “I tried ump and I got a touch on it”. I wouldn’t single out Frosty.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
You see it every weekend. A clear holding the ball where the player argues the point. At best a fingertip might have touched the ball but clearly HTB. The umpires are inconsistent with HTB “I tried ump and I got a touch on it”. I wouldn’t single out Frosty.
It's been a growing issue for a while now but the "flick over the head" handball really became noticeable during Bulldogs' 2016 premiership. I wouldn't be mad if umps called that a throw most of the time.

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not aimed at you specifically MadEyeEmmy, it's the general narrative that Walters flaps around trying to milk for frees get's my goat.

It comes up constantly in commentating, most of that is lazy - and because they track hundreds of players and there is a grab bag of several standard lines about a given player. So Walters on the ground, he's "flapping around milking for a free" because that is the standard narrative rather than calling if the other player had the hands in the back, Ballas was distinctly called "pest" by everyone, important goal so you'd want Mundy to be kicking it etc. Walters weighs less than almost every opponent out there and I think it's as simple as, that he is just knocked over easily (as opposed to falling over milking it which is the narrative). He aint no Pav, who had a massive set of hips and build with it, so a low center of gravity and mass usually the same or more than the opponent that stopped him going over like a pin in a bowling alley.

All players ask for the frees that they think they are entitled to or when they think it's unfair against them (seen our defenders always remonstrating with the umps that both players were holding each other?). The issue is not with him asking for the frees (if he thinks someone infringed against the rules) it lies with the umpire for not adjudicating according to the rules. I don't blame the umpires for that either, it's a sport and it has rules, but the rules and directions to umpires are tampered with for "a look of the game" so it brings money in, rather than for fairness (free is there, but "the whistle is put away" etc) and common sense. I presume that he, along with many players has incentive payments and if goals are one of those things, the umpire not paying a legitimate free in front of goal might have cost him $2000, if it were me I'd be telling the umpire in that situation to do their job.

He will be picked by the coach every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He is coaching on field, he always flies the flag when players are roughed up nearby rather than standing nearby looking on, he runs up to everyone after a goal and gees them up - and also very often when they have just been given their 30 seconds for a shot at goal which I presume is on field coaching (settle, swirling wind up high got to account for that etc), he's also directing traffic constantly. On top of that put's in a mountain of work every game, his GPS tracker has to work hard for a living. His effectiveness is probably hampered by too much haste, the team is still young and Walters is putting in extra to make up for them, while Andy might have hit 30 plus possessions in some games his young peers aren't at the top of their game yet. When the team matures - if he is still playing, he will be told by the coach to dial down the maniacal efforts and he will look silky again.
I'm ok with Walters playing for the occasional free kick and using his experience and guile to con the umpire into giving his a freebie...small forwards have been doing it for eons.

What I hate is when he plays for the free and ends up removing himself from the contest.

This is not acceptable and sets a terrible example to the young blokes.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm ok with Walters playing for the occasional free kick and using his experience and guile to con the umpire into giving his a freebie...small forwards have been doing it for eons.

What I hate is when he plays for the free and ends up removing himself from the contest.

This is not acceptable and sets a terrible example to the young blokes.

That is the narrative, but it is a bs narrative. "conning", "freebie" suggests getting something that he is not entitled to (a free kick is not a bonus for you, it is a penalty against the other player). He is a smaller bloke, he is the one in front, so pushing him in the back will send him to the ground more often than others, it's the defender that needs to be wary of doing it. I don't see him staging for anything that isn't there, the hands are in the back, the head high contact is there etc - I'd happily agree that he was staging if I saw him going down without any contact.

If you were in Melbourne, barracking for Collingwood, Richmond or any of the teams here, you would back Walters for asking for penalties against the legitimate infringements on him and if he get's awarded a free kick at goal for that misdemeanour against him, chances are that he will nail that goal. Instead, there is a passive acceptance of the narrative, I do wonder if Freo supporters suffer Stockholme Syndrome at times...

muckypup

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Bayswater Bowling & Rec Club
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The WACA's

Would you acknowledge he looks hopelessly out of form at the moment? I question whether he is in our best 22 rn. Main reason I would keep him in is reputation but that isn't going to last forever.

Minz

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
I'm sick of hearing the Hawks best sides described as "unsociable". They were (and are) dirty thugs, pure and simple. Smacking a guy hard in the back after he takes a mark is not "unsociable", it's outside the rules of the game and should be punished with 50m (or more). This was as true back in their glory days as it is now; it reduces the game as a spectacle and targets the marquee players who handle the ball the most, bringing them down to the thugs' level.

Remember that 2013 GF incident where a Hawks player got 4 weeks off for something he got a free kick for during the game? Had the Hawks been appropriately punished with 50m penalties for each infraction in that 2014 GF against the Swans, they would've been blown off the park.

Nobody in the game needs this crap. If the AFL wants the game to be fast and skilful, they need to stomp on it now (although I would've preferred it to be stomped on in, say, 2012 ;)).

Last edited:

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
That is the narrative, but it is a bs narrative. "conning", "freebie" suggests getting something that he is not entitled to (a free kick is not a bonus for you, it is a penalty against the other player). He is a smaller bloke, he is the one in front, so pushing him in the back will send him to the ground more often than others, it's the defender that needs to be wary of doing it. I don't see him staging for anything that isn't there, the hands are in the back, the head high contact is there etc - I'd happily agree that he was staging if I saw him going down without any contact.

If you were in Melbourne, barracking for Collingwood, Richmond or any of the teams here, you would back Walters for asking for penalties against the legitimate infringements on him and if he get's awarded a free kick at goal for that misdemeanour against him, chances are that he will nail that goal. Instead, there is a passive acceptance of the narrative, I do wonder if Freo supporters suffer Stockholme Syndrome at times...
Walters milks free kicks. He tries to make contact that wouldn’t warrant a kick and turn it into a free kick. It’s the boy who cried wolf. Occasionally there are kicks but mostly not. Now people don’t believe him when there genuinely is a kick to be paid. It’s his own fault.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
11F4F8BE-5F63-4432-A74F-49A802DB1758.jpeg
The best thing you could do is put pen to paper with some possible lyrics ... or ... pick a rock track to pinch and change the words to.

I would rather ask Kevin Parker.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would you acknowledge he looks hopelessly out of form at the moment? I question whether he is in our best 22 rn. Main reason I would keep him in is reputation but that isn't going to last forever.
Yes, he is playing injured at the moment, probably only because we are pretty much plumb out of options. Saw him at Leederville on Saturday with a bandage on his thigh and he was really struggling to get up the stairs, so I'd say if either of Switta or Schultz had been available he might have had another week off.

He has provided incredible service for the club and deserves better than the nonsense he has been getting on here.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
View attachment 1101552

I would rather ask Kevin Parker.

100% we should ask him to rewrite the Freo song, not quite sure how Tame Impala's style would fit as a footy tune but lets give it a go. Parker is a Freo lad and his music bangs. I'd back him to do a better job than what we have right now and anything he'd do would look like a masterpiece against WCE's new Birds of Tokyo inspired corporate bilge.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
100% we should ask him to rewrite the Freo song, not quite sure how Tame Impala's style would fit as a footy tune but lets give it a go. Parker is a Freo lad and his music bangs. I'd back him to do a better job than what we have right now and anything he'd do would look like a masterpiece against WCE's new Birds of Tokyo inspired corporate bilge.
Didn’t this whole thing happen about 10 years ago with Eskimo Joe? Fans voted overwhelmingly to keep the song as it is now.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didn’t this whole thing happen about 10 years ago with Eskimo Joe? Fans voted overwhelmingly to keep the song as it is now.

It did, and we ended up with the worst possible result - the original but sped up with the drums and chant at the start cut out.

Eskimo Joe's version was pretty good too. That was a long time ago, time for another vote.

Back