Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Out: Hurn (inj), Waterman, Jones, Cripps
In: Witherden, Langdon, XON, Trew
Sub: Winder - we did say we weren't going to play someone as sub two weeks in a row, but he essentially played a full game anyway.

Two additional midfielders in the team this week (although only one additional in comparison to the Port game)... Should give us more run and get some more games into XON and give Trew his first run. We don't need 7 KPP + Brander + Rotham playing non-KPP roles. Unfortunately that leaves Waterman in the cold. I think we all like Jake, but it's a struggle to fit him into this team structure. He's just going to have to bide his time. I can see JJK being rested for some away trips later in the year, and inevitably some injuries crop up. Second ruck to be more shared, rather than defaulting to Oscar, especially against Grundy.

Wouldn't kill me if Langdon was still out in the cold. If it wasn't for Jones 3 v Dogs and Petch's 4 v Saints, the small forward role (a strength not long ago) has been pretty average this year so far. If Langdon still misses I'd rather play Jones in front of Cripps. If we were playing a final this week, I'd be picking Cripps over both (and holding my nose a bit) but I feel like this should be one of those times were you drop an under performing best 22 player to send a message.

On the small forward situation, whilst Ryan isn't in any danger of getting dropped, he too needs to pull his finger out a bit. He is running on 2020 output but back with normal amount of game time. He's an All Australia now - time to start leading like one.

Our midfield bridge needs to start hitting the scoreboard. They've combined for 3 goals this season so far - 1 each to Kelly, Sheed and Vardy. In 2018 we had Yeo (14), Gaff (12), Redden (10), Lycett (10), Hutchings (9), Sheed (8), Masten (7), Shuey (6) and NicNat (6) combined for 82 goals. That's about 2.5 goals a game we are missing at the moment.

If we don't bounce back this week our season could spiral out of control.

Absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree more with everything here

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Hai gaiz.

Some spud tagged me, so i'm here now.

Look i will say this, i'm more swol than Langdon.

Fortunately that's not all i have to say. I'm more swol and yet i can barely dob a set shot from 40m. Big frame and big legs in footy means absolutely bugger all. I don't think the gym can help with kicking distance in the slightest. You either have a big kick from a young age or you don't.

Look at some of the beanpoles who could bang the footy 60m in the AFL like Clinton Young & Lewis Jetta.

What's interesting about Langdon, and about buggalugs SGIO whatevers comments, is that we brought him in because he was a quality small pressure forward. He would chase hard, harrass defenders and also pull some decent goals. The stats back that up completely.

At West Coasts it's completely different. Once again, a recruit going to sh*t once they join the club and struggle to adapt to our process.

I won't link his averages because he got shitmixed in his 3rd game and only played 8% TOG, so i'll reference the 2 games he DID play.

Taking out his injured game his averages at West Coast are:

10 disposals, 4 contested, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 0.1 behinds, 2 clangers, 56.5 metres gained. 71% TOG.

Compare this to his averages at the giants and you can see his tackling has dropped off a bit, also scoreboard impact.

View attachment 1101191

He's played 2 games though. I'm not too concerned. It was a good trade that i still rate. Petch will get an extended run now after that gun performance, but Langdon is handy to have waiting in the wings and keeping him honest.

Remwmber though we want him to play half forward with stints in the midfield. At GWS it was a complete small forward role. We wouldn’t play him in the pocket since he isn’t good enough overhead. How many small forwards have we ever had that were not good marks in a 1 on 1 contest? Feels like we never got over Mark LeCras at times

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
They are getting reamed like the Saints.. So hope the Pies are not fired up.

From last year we are missing Shuey but they are missing their two big ball winners that day in Adams and Trelor which leaves Pendles and Sidebottom as their main mids. Though word is Sidebottom has a hand complaint and De Goey a finger so they might not be a 100%.

Barrass is in better form so i think he will match up on Cox and try stop him compared to last season.

We cant go in that tall again as much as i rate Waterman he cant be playing half done considering he played half a game in the WAFL a week before. Let him spend a month in the WAFL and build that tank if he to be playing HHF.

I am not convinced we need two ruckman even v Grundy. Bringing in Vardy just makes us even taller and Vardy does not offer anything around the ground. I think we should bring in two mids and use Xon on the HHF/Wing? inside and then debut Zane to go in there and tackle away.

Out: Waterman, Hurn, Jones
In: Xon, Witherdon, Trew

Medical Sub: Ainsworth

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Really dont get this worrying about an oppo being "fired up". Saints didn't beat us because they were fired up, we had them on absolute toast halfway through the 3rd qtr and shat the bed, and handed them momentum.

If our lads aren't fired up themselves after that weak ass effort they should go play ammos
Agreed. For all the talk, the Saints didn't win that one, we panicked and threw away a winning position.

Collingwood would be very nervous of us, wanting revenge for the 1 pt loss last year and fired up after throwing a game away last week. If pies aren't switched on, this could be a 10 goal smashing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmos ask the coach

"on reflection, it did look like we were a mid, an inside mid, short, so we'll keep working through that"

The bloke who racked up 17 tackles in his first two WAFL matches says hi
On reflection??? * me, half the state could have told him that the moment the team lineup was announced

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmos ask the coach

"on reflection, it did look like we were a mid, an inside mid, short, so we'll keep working through that"

Xon being marginally more experienced but more outside than inside certainly puts Trew into the limelight. Taylor Adams was their 2nd best midfielder doubt that MacRae is going to be as effective. Might be a good time to debut Trew.

Simmos ask the coach

On reflection, as much as I like Simmo, he pulls some absolute clownshit with selections when he tries to be overly clever when just simply replacing like for like would get the job done.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
In mild defence of Simmo, he does make a fair point that the team selection/match up was working for three quarters as we were up by so much.

That's a fairish take, but I'd counter that we were still getting beaten around the ball and were ahead because our talls and high functioning forward line were keeping us in it. We might have been further ahead with an extra mid and no Jake.

I recall Jake making one glaring error and one excellent mark and kick to the wing. So I have him as neither good or bad.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmos ask the coach

What dumb ******* campaigner. "On reflection". * me. Waterman's name shouldn't even have been in the discussion to replace Shuey.

Go throw Mitch Brown in a forward pocket or something.

* me

/endtantrum

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Xon being marginally more experienced but more outside than inside certainly puts Trew into the limelight. Taylor Adams was their 2nd best midfielder doubt that MacRae is going to be as effective. Might be a good time to debut Trew.

That's what I took from it, specifically saying inside mid. Also mentioned just beforehand that unfortunately O'Neill didn't get a chance to play at all given he was flown over to cover for Sheed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back