Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
How close do you think your top 5 is? Hard for me to seperate Horne/Daicos and Sonsie/Sinn/Rachele/Chesser atm
I'm in a similar boat, with Horne and Daicos pretty clearly above the chasing pack, Sonsie a little bit ahead and then Sinn, Rachele and Chesser pretty much a coin flip, where I'm pretty much picking the order based on position.
I have my concerns on Rachele though, seems like he's more likely to play a lot of time forward rather than midfield in a very weak Murray side, and his defensive side of the game needs improvement, but that's probably me being too pedantic as well

Interestingly I've read wildly different opinions on Daicos.
Many are rating him highly and in the mix for 1.
Other reports have him far lower with a few claiming the hype is linked to nostalgic memories of his Dad.
I read one report that described him as a highlight reel with no substance that would be a second rounder if his last name was Smith. Harsh.
I'm no where near knowledgeable enough to comment either way. Large gap in views it seems.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Other reports have him far lower with a few claiming the hype is linked to nostalgic memories of his Dad.
I read one report that described him as a highlight reel with no substance that would be a second rounder if his last name was Smith. Harsh.
Probably folk linked to Collingwood FC?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I'm no where near knowledgeable enough to comment either way. Large gap in views it seems.
Whilst I don't like to put down people for having their own opinions, to suggest he's a highlight reel with no substance is easily the most mind numbingly dumb take I've heard about him. All you have to do is look at the likes of his brother to realise a last name doesn't make most people make outrageous calls about a player, the hype is real and warranted

That's just ridiculous.

Anyone that has seen him play the last two games should know he is the real deal. Surname or not.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Personally i find it totally unimportant where daicos is rated and the only people it should matter to is collingwood as how far they go into deficit
if he is pick 1 or pick 5 doesnt change the 'available' talent to any other club as there is no chance pies dont match.
Similar to JUH & Campbell last year

A general question, who are the small forwards to watch this year?
We're desperate and we surely have to take on this year at some stage in the draft

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
A general question, who are the small forwards to watch this year?
We're desperate and we surely have to take on this year at some stage in the draft
Preston is a legitimate mid season draft chance. For the national I'm liking Sam Butler and Josiah Kyle from what I've seen early on, with some others more speculative but not sold on yet like Bulldogs NGA Blake Scott

Preston is a legitimate mid season draft chance. For the national I'm liking Sam Butler and Josiah Kyle from what I've seen early on, with some others more speculative but not sold on yet like Bulldogs NGA Blake Scott
If we have a spot free I think we target Preston, he was close to our SSP pick as a train on player

Obedient Spatula

Debutant
Jul 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its looking a certainty for Pick 1 for North, is it looking likely Horne locked and done or would others be worth considering?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Its looking a certainty for Pick 1 for North, is it looking likely Horne locked and done or would others be worth considering?
It would take a cliff dive in form from Horne and an undisputed best performance of the Champs from some one in the chasing pack to have another Pick 1 favourite, with Daicos being excluded because he's club linked of course, but at the moment he's the only one close

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
It would take a cliff dive in form from Horne and an undisputed best performance of the Champs from some one in the chasing pack to have another Pick 1 favourite, with Daicos being excluded because he's club linked of course, but at the moment he's the only one close

Not wishing injuries upon anybody but anything can happen still a long way to go

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Not wishing injuries upon anybody but anything can happen still a long way to go
Horne would hold his value better than Max King did, if Pick 1 holders are serious about building for the future he's the pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
What do you think of Luke Kelvie has a prospect? Is he draftable? I know pies will have their hands full with Daicos and Dib, just thinking if they could squeeze in another.
He's been better than expected for sure but I'd be really surprised if he ended up on a list, just doesn't have any of those top level athletic traits that are increasingly important at the top level now, so whilst his skills aren't bad and he can position well it wouldn't be enough in an AFL side

He's been better than expected for sure but I'd be really surprised if he ended up on a list, just doesn't have any of those top level athletic traits that are increasingly important at the top level now, so whilst his skills aren't bad and he can position well it wouldn't be enough in an AFL side
Thanks. That's fair enough. It's a tough business these days.

For any recruiters out there is it all about possessions in the NAB or what you do with it. Seen some highlighted performances so far where there have been players getting good ball but not doing anything with it. How fair is that assessment?

For any recruiters out there is it all about possessions in the NAB or what you do with it. Seen some highlighted performances so far where there have been players getting good ball but not doing anything with it. How fair is that assessment?
I know one scout who is sent to watch 1-2 players specifically so at some point they track rate of improvement of their 'prospects' more than anything else.
FWIW we rookied JJ off a season he averaged only a handful of kicks per game.

I know one scout who is sent to watch 1-2 players specifically so at some point they track rate of improvement of their 'prospects' more than anything else.
FWIW we rookied JJ off a season he averaged only a handful of kicks per game.
Thanks for that, good to know.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
It's more what they do with it and any other draftable traits. A good example is Blake Howes currently, hasn't racked up a heap of it in the first two games, but has such high level athleticism and good ball use that he'll almost certainly get drafted, likely a high pick as well, because there's a lot to work with, in comparison to some kids who average 25 touches, but might be pretty common sorts without any point of difference, so a lot of inside mids fall into this category, with the likes of uncontested ball winning half backs, man-baby tall forwards/ rucks, etc.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Stats are a good indicator but shouldn’t be the be all and end all for why a player shouldn’t be drafted. Rozee and Butters a good example for Port when both didn’t have the most prolific games in their draft year but showed their elite traits often enough.

Can depend on a certain game aswell with tackle numbers or contested possession numbers going up or down depending on weather or the position they play and if they play that position for all 4 quarters.

For example Miller Bergman kicked 3 goals on the weekend for Dandenong and you would look at his 20 possessions and think wow that’s a good game for a forward but he actually played half back for the first 3 quarters and was then shifted forward late and hit the scoreboard, that’s why going to or watching games is so important rather than going off pure statistics.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
For example Miller Bergman kicked 3 goals on the weekend for Dandenong and you would look at his 20 possessions and think wow that’s a good game for a forward but he actually played half back for the first 3 quarters and was then shifted forward late and hit the scoreboard, that’s why going to or watching games is so important rather than going off pure statistics.
Another great point, it becomes fairly easy to see why people may rate certain prospects higher or lower because of their stats as well

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Dev Robertson won the medal and broke the possessions record at the Championships then slid to the second day of the draft because his disposal was a liability.

Jason Taylor gave a good insight on Twomey's pod a year or two back where he spoke about the ideal draftee being a great athlete, great person and great footballer - but nobody's perfect so it's a question of balancing characteristics, and weight of possessions is only one of those.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back